Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-10-2006   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Nfl Is Violent, Brutal And Bloody

When The Oilers were still here, I once played a sandlot game of football with Steve Brown (CB) [6'1 205 - 9% body fat] and Jamie "Spiderman" Williams (TE) [6'4' 245 - 11% body fat]. I went up for a pass........they slammed into me coming from different directions "sandwiching" me...........and compacted me to the width of a finely sliced piece of Swiss cheese. Bells were ringing and birdies singing........it was like being hit by 2 brick walls.............and they were even trying to "play nice" with me.

I think that most of us can't even imagine the trauma that our players put themselves through both on the receiving and delivering ends every time they step onto the field. They are indeed our modern day gladiators..........more so than any other professional sport..............Statistics consistently show that greater than 50% of all NFL players will become injured annually.:

Link: The 2003 NFL injury rate was nearly eight times higher than that of any other commercial sports league, according to the U.S. Department of Labor -- and that includes the National Hockey League, the National Basketball Association and professional auto racing.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #2
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84705 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"You want to know how hard you're hit? If you're a running back, and you're hit full-speed, he can literally knock the feces out of your bowels
That's also known as getting the **** knocked out of you.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
When The Oilers were still here, I once played a sandlot game of football with Steve Brown (CB) [6'1 205 - 9% body fat] and Jamie "Spiderman" Williams (TE) [6'4' 245 - 11% body fat]. I went up for a pass........they slammed into me coming from different directions "sandwiching" me...........and compacted me to the width of a finely sliced piece of Swiss cheese. Bells were ringing and birdies singing........it was like being hit by 2 brick walls.............and they were even trying to "play nice" with me.

I think that most of us can't even imagine the trauma that our players put themselves through both on the receiving and delivering ends every time they step onto the field. They are indeed our modern day gladiators..........more so than any other professional sport..............Statistics consistently show that greater than 50% of all NFL players will become injured annually.:

Link: The 2003 NFL injury rate was nearly eight times higher than that of any other commercial sports league, according to the U.S. Department of Labor -- and that includes the National Hockey League, the National Basketball Association and professional auto racing.
This is largely why I am advocate of spending the dollars on the big uglies and Defense and make our scouting department and coaching staff earn their pay and find skill position players that can improve yearly and contribute right away. I believe we are beginning to do as such and love it.
Old 07-10-2006   #4
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Football seems like a dangerous sport, but the risk of being killed per year of participation is only 1 in 81,000 in high school and 1 in 33,000 in college, corresponding to LLE of 0.3 and 0.6 days, respectively. Many other sports are much more dangerous. The LLE per year of participation is 8 days for professional boxing, 25 days for hang gliding, 110 days for dedicated mountain climbers (10 days for all climbers), 0.9 days for mountain hikers, 25 days for parachuting, 9 days for sailplaning, 7 days for amateur scuba diving, 2 days for snowmobiling, and 0.5 days for racing on skis.
yeah but not quite as bad as skiing or boxing.

or even as bad as being unemployed or poor.
http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc/book/chapter8.html
Old 07-10-2006   #5
12Gage
Rookie

nice job pointing out the obvious
12Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #6
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
That's also known as getting the **** knocked out of you.
Amen to that. And the speed in which it can happen is unbelievable!
Old 07-11-2006   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Gage
Indeed.

The amount of force generated by a 5 man line at 290 lbs each is the same as 6 bullets from a .357 magnum.

1,875 lbmft/s or about 7 Horsepower.

One game generates enough energy to move the entire state of Delaware one foot.
( 120 plays 22 men 250 avg weight )

Last edited by TwinSisters; 07-11-2006 at 05:24 AM.
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2006   #8
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger

you ever tried rugby league????? thats a game of warriors
Old 07-11-2006   #9
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Gage
Did you read the title?
Old 07-11-2006   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Quarterbacks, tight ends, wide receivers, safeties and cornerbacks routinely suffer high rates of brain concussions and spine injuries that could trigger paralysis, dementia, depression and other ailments later in life.
Bradshaw?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read