Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-10-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Reviewing the Texans Disastrous 2005 Draft

IMO, last years Draft looks worse and worse as time goes by !
We had 4 first day picks (including 2 third rounders), and the net of those
picks is TJ, P-Burnt, and Morency.
There's already been enough said about TJ and P-Burnt. But now Morency apparent value in Kubiaks offense is also becoming dubious.
So much for our 4 first day picks !
And even last years rookie pro bowler Mathis is looking like a one year wonder. With his bike injury and reported attitude problems, his future with the Texans and in the NFL is looking more uncertain all the time.
Hodgdon probably will be no more than an adaquate NFL reserve player, but he's only a 5th rounder so not a big invetment.
C.C. Brown is looking like the top pick of the Texans 2005 Draft. I dunno, but
when your 6th rounder may turn out to be the top pick of your whole draft, that pretty much says it all.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #2
AFD1717
Veteran

I guess I hadn't fully recognized how terrible that draft was. The only thing we can cling to at this point is that our scrubs that we picked do have ability. Guys with ability do occasionally put things together after being in the league a few years and they start playing like they are capable of playing. Unfortunately for us, most of those guys have the lightbulb turn on after being cut by the team that drafted them. Let's hope TJ stops reading his college stats, Morency turns in his tap shoes for some track spikes, and Buc grows a pair.
Old 07-10-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Ugh. I've never really looked at last year's draft as a whole.

I would consider that no player should be evaluated only by his play last year with the Texans, and remain hopeful for improvement.

I still hope Buchanon can turn into a decent cover corner; if he does his hitting will be less an issue. I think Mathis will remain a special teams contributor. His long kick-off returns can generate an instant spark for the team, and his mere presence on the field makes the game more exciting for the fans - he gets our attention when he has the ball. Even if Hodgdon and Brown end up being back-ups for most of their careers, that is OK for their draft placement I guess.

Last edited by Runner; 07-10-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

They were badly coached, first year rookies (except for Buchannon, of course) and the whole team, with the one exception of Mathis, played below their ability last year. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks right now. If we can definitely establish that the whole team was very badly coached last year, then maybe there is hope for a lot of things that we can't see right now.

Yeah, it does look bad, though, I must admit.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

As I posted on another thread, I think we had addition by subtraction when we gave G-stunk his walking papers. HE had a bad attitude and poor work ethic that seemed to filter down to the younger guys. I'm still holding out hope for TJ. Remember the 3 year rule when grading drafts.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #6
wrestler4life
Veteran

I think that the coaches just realized how bad the team was and said "we better coach these guys just not to look REAL bad. Give 'em just enough instruction so that we are in most games for a half or so".
Old 07-10-2006   #7
SESupergenius

The debacle started well before the draft with the release of 2 high quality starters and no replacements were drafted for those positions. There were a couple of decent CB's on the board to at least attempt to replace Glenns spot; Fabian Washington, Marlin Jackson. We should have even replaced Sharper with Lofa Tatupu since we had never drafted an ILB in our existance. This is hindsight of course, but many players should have been taken instead of a DT considering at the time we already had 3 starters, 2 with big contracts.
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2006   #8
wrestler4life
Veteran

Was Travis Johnson the BPA when they drafted him?
Old 07-10-2006   #9
SESupergenius

He wasn't even the best player at his position at the time
Old 07-10-2006   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
He wasn't even the best player at his position at the time
Sure was a lotta love for him last year about this time.
Old 07-10-2006   #11
phan1
All Pro

I am surprised to here of Morency's having trouble running in this offense, and it's pretty dissapointing considering he is very physically talented. I really hope he can make a turnaround. Last year, he was undisputed number 2. Right now it sounds like he's number 3 or 4.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not call it a disaster at this moment. Let's wait until we some real coaching take hold and then come back and label if needed.
Old 07-10-2006   #13
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
Sure was a lotta love for him last year about this time.
ummm, not everyone was given him love last year. http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=12061
Old 07-10-2006   #14
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
As I posted on another thread, I think we had addition by subtraction when we gave G-stunk his walking papers. HE had a bad attitude and poor work ethic that seemed to filter down to the younger guys. I'm still holding out hope for TJ. Remember the 3 year rule when grading drafts.
When you filter out bad Apples whom are all about themselves that brings a frsh attitude. TJ is a monster ball hawk if he is given the reigns, but even back at Florida State he had "listening adjustment" problems (but who didn't)
when he realizes that the new coaches are not playing games and the only way to dig yourself out that hole is to bring it everyday then

"TOOT TOOT" the bandwagoners came come back out and ride that train!!
Old 07-10-2006   #15
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
ummm, not everyone was given him love last year. http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=12061
How did I know it would be one of my posts. The defense desperately needed a playmaking LB last season and instead chose a TJ. Based on the early results this appears to be another huge mistake by the previous regime.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just another thing or two here least everyone think I'm totally negative, which I'm not, far from it.
The main guys & most prominent picks from last years Draft (TJ, P-Burnt, Morency, & Mathis), have such big question marks hanging over them and have been so deeply discounted, we now have a very low expectation of the group collectively producing and contributing to the team. Which means there is probably a decent chance that atleast one or two of them can now
exceed our expectations, perhaps even excel and realize the potential that we origionally thought they had.
And as someone said, its probably too early to judge the 2005 group, and even more premature to judge this years Draft. But if you had to make these
early calls, I would say that if last years our worst Draft, at the same time IMO this year is our best Draft.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #17
JohnGalt
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 JohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballotJohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I not a big fan of evaluating drafts until about two or three years later after everyone has had a chance to grow up into the NFL. It can't be that common for a rookie to make a major contribution. Many of the leagues most solid players took a few years to figure it out.

I think an interesting analysis would be to compare the percentage of team drafted starters to winning percentage. I'll bet they tie together.
Old 07-10-2006   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
I not a big fan of evaluating drafts until about two or three years later after everyone has had a chance to grow up into the NFL. It can't be that common for a rookie to make a major contribution. Many of the leagues most solid players took a few years to figure it out.

I think an interesting analysis would be to compare the percentage of team drafted starters to winning percentage. I'll bet they tie together.
I believe that most of Pttsburhgs, New Englands and Indy's starters are draftees. They can usually lose the big name price tags and keep right on trucking. Washington, da Raiders and couple of other teams keep trying to fix things with those big name price tags. Pretty clear to me. Denver and Green Bay usually do OK with a good mix.
Old 07-10-2006   #19
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
You are absolutely correct. I did a breakdown of this sometime last year but cannot find the post. If I remember correctly, Pittsburgh and New England had the largest number of draftees starting for them.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #20
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't like the TJ pick then and don't like it now. Would have been nice to have had CJ, but then we would not have gotten the first two picks in the third to solidify our O-line without it. Still could have picked somthing other than a DT. Why do I see Charles Hill when I talk about TJ?

None of our 05 draft may even be on this team after the third year.

The only true bright spot is that we didn't give up two ones for Pace. We got quality in the third and got Mario Williams.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read