Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-09-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pettway comments on his role and Kubiak

from www.kffl.com

Texans | Pettway comments on his role and team's new defense
Sun, 9 Jul 2006 08:26:18 -0700

Nick Deriso, of the News-Star, interviewed Houston Texans LB Kenneth Pettway and asked him about the team's transition to head coach Gary Kubiak. "So far, so good. Through the OTAs (offseason training activities), it's been a very smooth transition. Coach Kubiak has a very different style, starting with the defense. We're moving to the 4-3 instead of a 3-4. Then there's how he runs the practices. It's in the West Coast style, so there is not as much hitting," said Pettway. Deriso asked Pettway about his role and he replied: "I'm playing off the line more. I start at the Sam (or strong side linebacker) on most plays, but then move to defensive end on third-and-long or obvious passing downs to rush the passer. It's pretty much what I was doing back at Grambling." Pettway said his only goal for 2006 is to get on the field.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #2
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

I did'nt relize that the WCS had less hitting in pratice. Can someone explain this? I'm not sure whats ment by that statment.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is the link to the story:

Link: The Newsstar.

Here's the rest of the Q&A:

Quote:
So, let's see that's three defensive schemes in three years. Is it difficult to forget all the previous stuff?

At first, last year, it was very hard. You learn so much, so fast, and it can be tough. But now, after a couple of seasons and couple of new defenses, it gets easier to erase. It's difficult but it's getting easier.

Houston was the center of a lot of controversy over the Mario Williams pick. What's he like?

In the 4-3, you need a true D-end, somebody that's tall and can move fast. Mario does an outstanding job of getting to the passer. He's got great size he and (fellow Grambling product Jason) Hatcher are about the same size and he has great speed coming off the ball. He looks good, and he's a good guy. He's not arrogant about being the No. 1 pick.

You were on Houston's practice squad last year, gaining valuable experience. Is this your year to get meaningful playing time?

It's coming in every day, putting on my helmet and doing my job. I've learned a lot about the league, and about playing in this defense. Even with the different scheme, it's really nothing more than coming after the quarterback from down over the tight end. My only goal is get out on the field.
Old 07-09-2006   #4
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kenneth Pettway comments on his role and team's new defense

Nick Deriso, of the News-Star, interviewed Houston Texans LB Kenneth Pettway and asked him about the team's transition to head coach Gary Kubiak. "So far, so good. Through the OTAs (offseason training activities), it's been a very smooth transition. Coach Kubiak has a very different style, starting with the defense. We're moving to the 4-3 instead of a 3-4. Then there's how he runs the practices. It's in the West Coast style, so there is not as much hitting," said Pettway. Deriso asked Pettway about his role and he replied: "I'm playing off the line more. I start at the Sam (or strong side linebacker) on most plays, but then move to defensive end on third-and-long or obvious passing downs to rush the passer. It's pretty much what I was doing back at Grambling." Pettway said his only goal for 2006 is to get on the field.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life

At Gramblin, he was so impressive at OLB that they wanted him on the field as much as possible. They therefore in 2003 tried him in the same way as described above with hand down. The combination worked so well, it stuck.
I'd look to Pettway to eventually break through and thrive in our system.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #6
NATHANHALE
Veteran

wow, 2 threads on the same quote on the same page!!
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #7
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2722 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
At Gramblin, he was so impressive at OLB that they wanted him on the field as much as possible. They therefore in 2003 tried him in the same way as described above with hand down. The combination worked so well, it stuck.
I'd look to Pettway to eventually break through and thrive in our system.
Grambling produces lots of sleepers. Small school, small market....he's worth keeping an eye on.
Old 07-10-2006   #8
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn
Grambling produces lots of sleepers. Small school, small market....he's worth keeping an eye on.
Sounds like another classy, quality guy to root for. I like it!
Old 07-10-2006   #9
trane
Rookie

[quote=bayoudreamn]Grambling produces lots of sleepers. Small school, small market....he's worth keeping an eye on.[/QUOTE

Does this mean that Casserly actually made a good draft pick :bananasplit:
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #10
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

No he was taking a nap and someone else through the dart at the wall.
Old 07-10-2006   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he could do pretty well. Did well at Grambling. He is not to small and he is pretty strong.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #12
DominickDavisFan76
Veteran

Kenneth Pettway has been one of my favorite players on the Texans ever since he was drafted in the 7th round...Does anyone know if he will be in Madden 07 because he will start for my team every year if he is in there.
DominickDavisFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #13
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
No he was taking a nap and someone else through the dart at the wall.
Rofl
Old 07-11-2006   #14
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
I did'nt relize that the WCS had less hitting in pratice. Can someone explain this? I'm not sure whats ment by that statment.
I think they practice w/o pads. Less potential for injuries. Don't quote me on that, though.
Old 07-11-2006   #15
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Bill Walsh is given credit for starting that... and thus it carries over with the West Coast tag. It has absolutely nothing to do with the West Coast offense though... absolutely nothing!

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/sbxx...heat122397.stm
Quote:
Holmgren, 49, learned the curious philosophy from Bill Walsh during his days as an assistant with San Francisco (1986-'91).

Though there are no scientific studies linking practicing without pads late in the season to on-field success during the month of December, the Packers' record during the final month of the regular season under Holmgren seems to support a connection.

Since 1992, Holmgren's first season in Green Bay, the Packers are 19-5 (.792) in regular-season games played in December. The 19 victories are the most by any team in the NFL during that span.

San Francisco, not surprisingly, is No. 2 with a 17-6 record (.739). The 49ers maintained Walsh's practice routine under George Seifert and have continued this season under first-year coach Steve Mariucci, a former assistant under Holmgren.
( not an exact quote or fit to your question, but should give you enough to put two and two together )

I don't think Walsh is the first one to do it though... but I am too lazy to look it up right now. I am pretty sure 99% of the people that care are going to say Bill Walsh anyway.
Old 07-11-2006   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing new. It wasn't Walsh. When the game of soccer was converted to present day American football in the late 1870's, paddless practices was first introduced. OK, OK stop with the tomatoes!!!!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #17
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Twinsisters thanks for the link learn something new everyday. I had no idea that some coaches did and others did not.Great info. Does Shanahan do this in Den. or is it Kubs.?
Old 08-21-2006   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pettway

Before the game people were talking about how Pettway was going to get some more work. How did he look?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read