Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-09-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Profootballtalk.com ranking

They are going through an analysis of each of the NFL teams and ranking them. The Texans were ranked 26th.

Here's what they say. PFT Texans Rankings

Quote:
PFT PRESEASON POWER RANKINGS: NO. 26

As we gradually continue to make our way up through the levels of NFL ineptitude (we've climbed from "piss-poor" to "pathetic" to "there could be hope -- in a year or two" since last weekend), we're constantly reminded of the fact that, in an era in which parity supposedly has taken root, there are a lot of bad teams.

We still need to find homes for teams like the Lions, the Vikings, the Cardinals, the Jets, the Browns, and the Rams.

But we can't justify allowing the No. 26 team to climb any higher on the list.

The Houston Texans.

Bob McNair's bull-horned boys are pegged by many to be the worst team heading into the 2006 season simply because the Texans were the worst team coming out of 2005. But despite the belief held by most preseason prognosticators that the new season is a mere continuation of the old one, the reality is that circumstances change -- sometimes dramatically -- from one year to the next.

For the Texans, the club suffered a stunning fall in 2005, at a time when some pundits were predicting that they'd continue a trend of gradual improvement (4-12, 5-11, 7-9) that would have put the team at or above .500, and possibly into the playoffs.

But instead the wheels came off, resulting in a plunge to 2-14 and the dismissal of the only coach in franchise history and the "resignation" of its only G.M.

So what makes us think that the Texans are better than six other franchises heading into 2006? The argument begins and ends with one guy -- Gary Kubiak.

Though Mike Shanahan called the shots in Denver, Kubiak was there every step of the way. He learned how to do it right, and we think he'll be able to translate those skills immediately and directly to the Texans.

The biggest impact will come, in our view, along the offensive line, which traditionally has been the team's biggest weakness. By bringing the Denver zone blocking scheme (including plenty of cut blocking) with him to Houston, Kubiak will breathe new life into the rushing attack, which in turn will ignite the passing game.

And given the addition of veteran receiver Eric Moulds to a receiving corps that traditionally has featured Andre Johnson and a parade of stiffs, quarterback David Carr might finally be able to live up to the potential that made him the first overall pick in the 2002 draft.

Speaking of first overall picks in the draft, the Texans "earned" the top spot via a horrendous 2-14 regular season. But although the Texans were presumed to be poised to pluck tailback Reggie Bush with the selection, one of the biggest surprises in draft history unfolded on the eve of the selection process when a contract was reached with defensive end Mario Williams.

The move drew sharp criticism among the local fan base, which was willing to tolerate the failure to draft local product Vince Young only if the pick was Bush. And the outcry likely will continue, unless Williams gets three sacks per game -- or unless Reggie Bush plays like Barbara.

But the Texans also should get a pass for passing on Bush if Domanick Davis becomes a Pro Bowler (and we think he will) in Kubiak's system. Sure, it's still possible that Bush will become the NFL's Michael Jordan (and Williams the football equivalent of Sam Bowie), but the powers-that-be in Houston were put off by his handling of the scandal that erupted in the days prior to the draft, and we tend to agree with the notion that, while Reggie says all of the right things when folks are watching, Bush very well could turn out to be a problem child behind closed doors.

Williams will be joined on the defensive side of the ball by a couple of newcomers acquired via free agency. Defensive tackle Anthony Weaver received a five-year, $26.5 million deal (including a $12 million signing bonus) to make the move from Baltimore. Also signed was defensive end N.D. Kalu.

On offense, newcomers include Moulds, backup quarterback Sage Rosenfels, and former Packers coach/G.M. Mike Sherman, who'll serve as assistant head coach for offense.

Of course, none of this means that we think the Texans will challenge the Colts for the AFC South crown in 2006, but we believe that Houston will dump the Titans back into the basement and possibly threaten the Jags for second place. In time, Kubiak might even get a chance to man the sideline across from his old boss in Denver as the two teams try to chop at the knees of as many of each other's defenders as possible.
The Titans writeup is funny. They are ranked 30th: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2006T...sonRanking.htm
Old 07-09-2006   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the ranking, Florio was pretty complimentary to the Texans and their offseason moves. Other than the "And the outcry likely will continue..." remark, I agree with what he said. I think other than Mattress Mac & friends, most Texans fans are now on board with Mario as the pick.

The Texans probably won't take the AFC South crown from the Colts (this season). They could challenge the Jags for 2nd. And they will dump the Titans in the cellar. I can live with that season.
Old 07-09-2006   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course, none of this means that we think the Texans will challenge the Colts for the AFC South crown in 2006, but we believe that Houston will dump the Titans back into the basement and possibly threaten the Jags for second place.
The Colts and Jags are coming back to the pack in a big way this year. No way there's two teams in the AFC South posting 14 and 12 wins respectively again. I see the division winner at 11-5 ish.

Pittsburgh exposed the Colts in a big way in the playoffs and I think other teams will begin to chip away at the Colts' regular season dominance. Addai is a nice runner but they will miss Edge. I think the Colts defense might actually become a real strength in the near future.

Jax is Jax. They should still have a stout defense with one of the better front fours in the league. Offensively, Lefty is as immobile as ever and their WR corps is weak. Losing Jimmy Smith will hurt their offense more than they realize. Marcedes Lewis might end up being their leading receiver. Expect RB by committee and a lot of 13-7 games.

As far as the Titans, I expect them to have a bad year again this year - 5-11 ish - Bud will get pissed and fire Fisher, Reese or both - and then Vince will get caught up in the musical coaches/scheme chaos that has been conspicuously missing from Adams' team for nearly a decade.

Last edited by aj.; 07-09-2006 at 10:51 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #4
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

I agree with most said in this article. The teams does have a lots of work ahead of them. We all know this and most(not all) are willing to take a 6-10,7-9,or 8-8 season for Kubs first year as a head coach. Keep the team competive on the field and most will be fans will be O.K. with that kind of record.As for keeping the tacks in the basement I could not be happier with this statement they have ALOT OF WORK to do first find a QB.(I might eat thoughs words but till VY proves me wrong I dont think he's a top NFL QB and Voleck is a proven backup not a starter.) The Jags will have a good team we know this but we dont play tham till mid season (6TH game, 7th week)so barring injures our O-line could have some cohesition and could be problem for the Jags D-front. Now that leads me to the colts, they are the "power house" of our div. we all know this and and to some extent IMO respect there play on the field.(we are 0-8 aginst them)Have to give them some props. But I FIRMLY believe this is our year aginst the colts, I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again, the colts missed the boat on not resigning Edge. IMO he was a key player on that offence and his BLOCKING will be missed by PM. Mark my words PM will be sacked more this year and in the passed. Colts seem to think that Edges replacement can do the job but like VY until hes proven himself on the field at "Game Speed" to me hes still a unknown. All that said IMO we split the colt or sweep them THIS year. IMHO. Let me know what ya'll think.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #5
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 21276 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In addition to snagging the dude with the Uncle Rico delivery at the top of round one,
So that's where VY got his motion from. Anyway, for the most part I agree although I think that the Texans will do a lot better than what people expect. I think we have a team here that feels they have something to prove as well as a new coach that probably feels the need to get out and prove himself as well. Seems to me that this could turn into a very beautiful thing with them really climbing the ladder this year and next year being a serious threat every Sunday.

I have not been THIS excited since the first season. Not saying I haven't been other years but there just seems to be a different vibe and I really like it.
Old 07-09-2006   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Thought lazy people like me might want to see the fantasy end of the same article and post their thoughts. Overall, it's hard to argue with. Except maybe the defensive side of the ball. 3-4 to a 4-3 is a big difference and so are our draft picks.
Now, the fantasy grades:

Quarterback: David Carr has never been much of a fantasy quarterback. Even in his best season statistically, his 16 touchdown passes were offset by 14 picks. So even if Kubiak helps to push him to improve, we don't expect the kind of jump that would make him a short-list starter. We'll give him a C-, and we'd grab him at most as a late-round backup.

Running back: Though he missed five games due to injury in 2005, Domanick Davis still averaged more than 24 touches in 2005. He gets carries and receptions -- and there's really not anyone else to eat into his opportunities. Assuming that he's healthy, he will have a big year. He gets a B+.

Wide receiver: Regarded as a star burning brighter by the minute, Andre Johnson's production slipped in 2005. But with Eric Moulds lining up across from him, we think that both could have solid years. Johnson gets a B+, Moulds a B-.

Tight end: Veteran Mark Bruener's name catches the eye -- but he caught only two passes in 2005. Jeb Putzier joined the team from Denver, but he's never been a fantasy factor. Go with a third receiver. Or a second fullback. Or a fifth beer.

Defense: Too porous in 2005 and not enough improvement to be anything other than a blind-squirrel-finds-a-nut proposition in 2006.

Kicker: Kris Brown was 18th among kickers in scoring last year, but with the team poised to gain more yards and score more touchdowns this time around, Brown will get more chances. He misses a few too many field goals for our liking, however, so he gets a solid C.
Old 07-09-2006   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_VA
So that's where VY got his motion from. Anyway, for the most part I agree although I think that the Texans will do a lot better than what people expect. I think we have a team here that feels they have something to prove as well as a new coach that probably feels the need to get out and prove himself as well. Seems to me that this could turn into a very beautiful thing with them really climbing the ladder this year and next year being a serious threat every Sunday.

I have not been THIS excited since the first season. Not saying I haven't been other years but there just seems to be a different vibe and I really like it.
Is that VY in the stormtrooper costume?
Old 07-09-2006   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

If you want a taste of these guy's venom, read about the Bills. They get a SCATHING report. After 2-14, and reading that report, the Texans got a great report. And I don't see any Texans on the ALL-TURD Team either!!!! http://www.profootballtalk.com/All-Turd.htm
Old 07-09-2006   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to go with the old cliche "hope for the best, prepare for the worst"
until the regular season begins and we actually see what kind of product
our 2006 Texans have produced. Do I just want to be negative or pessimistic ? No way, but the team and new staff under Kubiak have 2 huge
challenges for the upcoming season:
(1) converting a 3-4 defense to a 4-3, (2) installing the Denver Broncos version of the WCO
Suceeding on either one of those challenges is a significant undertaking, but pulling both off in a "SINGLE" season is a major accomplishment.
Now on a longer term basis, I'm much more optimistic. But for the 2006 season, well we'll see.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #10
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #11
texan767
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
That has got to be the funniest part in that movie, followed by the scene where Uncle Rico's van get's hit with the orange & the little scream he lets out!
Now about the upcoming season.
Anything has to be better then what we had, & win or lose, I'll be there cheering them on.
GO TEXANS!
texan767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan767
That has got to be the funniest part in that movie, followed by the scene where Uncle Rico's van get's hit with the orange & the little scream he lets out!
Now about the upcoming season.
Anything has to be better then what we had, & win or lose, I'll be there cheering them on.
GO TEXANS!
I gotta go with the whole Vote for Pedro thing. Other than that...I did better movies pooping in the plastic kiddie pool at age 2. But me AND my poop will be cheering with you.
Old 07-10-2006   #13
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 1482 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
They are going through an analysis of each of the NFL teams and ranking them. The Texans were ranked 26th.

Here's what they say. PFT Texans Rankings

The Titans writeup is funny. They are ranked 30th: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2006T...sonRanking.htm
White, who could be a touchdown machine as a rookie. (If he can avoid re-bruising his vagina.)

ROFLmAO
Old 07-10-2006   #14
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn
White, who could be a touchdown machine as a rookie. (If he can avoid re-bruising his vagina.)
OMG - My coke came out my nose!

Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #15
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's funny how much you guys care about the Titans. It's cute though, really.
Old 07-10-2006   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan
It's funny how much you guys care about the Titans. It's cute though, really.
Nashville is just the next ex of our old used-to-be. Hate it for ya. Nashville will come up a yard or so short(pun intended) and, being a small market, Bud will move the franchise.
Old 07-10-2006   #17
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Make no Mistakes butt Adams will move for money.
Old 07-10-2006   #18
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
Nashville is just the next ex of our old used-to-be. Hate it for ya. Nashville will come up a yard or so short(pun intended) and, being a small market, Bud will move the franchise.
Bud will be dead within the next 5 years (HE'S 83 YEARS OLD PEOPLE!), so sorry Texans fans. You're dream of the Titans moving will not be fulfilled.
Old 07-10-2006   #19
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Yeah, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan
Bud will be dead within the next 5 years (HE'S 83 YEARS OLD PEOPLE!), so sorry Texans fans. You're dream of the Titans moving will not be fulfilled.
Have you seen his will??

But then what the Hell... Why SHOULDN'T Fargo, North Dakota have a pro football team?

South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #20
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Its in his will it will be his last money grab from the grave.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read