Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-08-2006   #1
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Default concerned

Is anyone else concerned about the potential disaster the Texans might be looking at in terms of fan support?

All the fans are very high on all the offseason changes( I am too, and we all have very good reason for this excitement) and alot of people are anticipating a good season, while the general consensus( not sure if I spelled that right) is that we will win around 6-7 games. Which I think this team is very capable of.

However we will have a tough schedule and could very well end up with an 0-6 start, which would certainly go tough on everyone and would be rather difficult to bounce back from. Also the team is almost like New and should take a few games getting used to and everything. Also, the offensive line while much improved, still might not be stable enough( hope i'm wrong) and that could very well damper our offensive production. And since Kubiak is considered to be an offensive guru, if the line isn't stable and the offense does faulter, i fear that fans might sour on Kubiak in his first year. And we are coming off a disasterous 2-14 campaign.

Which brings me to my point( yes it took awhile, and i apologize). The Texans while vastly improved they still might not ( god forbid) reach everyone's expectations. I would certainly understand if we only end up winning say around 5 games. ( I know we can manage 5 wins), I still wouldn't be upset with around 4. We will have a tough schedule from the get-go which may make it hard to recover. My point is that if the Texans don't live up to expectations, fans are going to be pretty upset and probably sour on the new regime and everything. I'm just worried that it may take the team around 1-2 years to fully live up to everyones expectations, but that fans won't be patient enough and start souring on the team. I hope this doesnt lead to a loss in ticket sales and an eventual departure from Houston. ( might be getting ahead of myself on that one).

But basically what I'm saying is while I truly believe this team is very talented and capable of doing some damage, that it may take some more time and ask everyone to have faith and remain patient. Let's not make this any tougher for the team then it already is.

Other then that, can't wait for the season to start and see this team out there ready to go, should be a fun year. GO TEXANS
Most Improved- Juwan Howard
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect 6, but hope for more. My real expectation is for the team and individuals to show improvement week over week

I do not believe anyone will sour on Kubiak this year and I surely will not if we do not win 6 games just as long as we see marked improvememt.
Old 07-08-2006   #3
ComstockLode
Veteran

If Mario Williams is somehow a bust, and bush and vince turn out to be amazing...... stuff could go down....
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
If Mario Williams is somehow a bust, and bush and vince turn out to be amazing...... stuff could go down....
Interesting that it is all predicated on players. So what if Mario has a bad year statistically and the Texans exceed most expectations and go 8-8? Yet Bush is rookie of the year and VY shows some glimpeses of greatness yet both teams respectively have awful years.
Old 07-08-2006   #5
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

I agree that things are not looking good... sorta like coming up on a clearing in a forest when it's dead silent.

Quote:
I'm just worried that it may take the team around 1-2 years to fully live up to everyones expectations, but that fans won't be patient enough and start souring on the team. I hope this doesnt lead to a loss in ticket sales and an eventual departure from Houston. ( might be getting ahead of myself on that one).
I don't think anything is ever going to kill the Houston Texans, so long as Bob always plays it straight. We made it through the 80's just fine and that lull between 65-75 was alright too. Besides that being a genuine authentic loser can be cool and score lots of ladies... look at what that Detroit Tigers cap did for Tom Selleck

Old 07-08-2006   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Expectations DO seem to be running pretty high. I'm one of the worst offenders in that area. I'll be cool with a team that doesn't look lost on both sides of the ball and make a spectacular play here and there. It's preseason, and I always feel that MY team made the best moves and will win it all at this time of year. I'm going to base my feelings on the team by the improvement(or lack thereof) of Carr and the defense as whole unit. If I see marked improvement by both, I'll be pretty happy regardless of the win/loss column(caveat: unless it's 3-13 or worse. No excuse for that).
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
look at what that Detroit Tigers cap did for Tom Selleck

Simply magical. The hat and stache are as powerful a combination as Mr. Pibb and Red Vines.
Old 07-08-2006   #8
AFD1717
Veteran

Kubiak will get his one year honeymoon. It will be easy to justify losses by pointing out that he's still got much of Capers' players and they don't know the schemes, blah blah blah. Even if the players occasionally look a little lost - like they frequently did last year - that can be blamed on the new system. The only thing that you can't find an excuse for is a lack of effort, and I don't see that happening.

None of this matters anyway because we're going 10-6.
Old 07-08-2006   #9
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
Kubiak will get his one year honeymoon. It will be easy to justify losses by pointing out that he's still got much of Capers' players and they don't know the schemes, blah blah blah. Even if the players occasionally look a little lost - like they frequently did last year - that can be blamed on the new system. The only thing that you can't find an excuse for is a lack of effort, and I don't see that happening.

None of this matters anyway because we're going 10-6.
Well said. And, I agree with you. There are going to be ups and downs no matter what. The key is the effort. Giving it 100% on each down. I kind of like the 10-6 number too.
Old 07-08-2006   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is anyone else concerned about the potential disaster the Texans might be looking at in terms of fan support?
No.

I'm concerned about what happens on the field, not in the stands. Although the two are linked, one means much more to me than the other.

I think 6-10, maybe 7-9 is probably more realistic. If I was setting the over-under, I'd probably put it a 6 1/2.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY

All the fans are very high on all the offseason changes( I am too, and we all have very good reason for this excitement) and alot of people are anticipating a good season, while the general consensus( not sure if I spelled that right) is that we will win around 6-7 games. Which I think this team is very capable of.

However we will have a tough schedule and could very well end up with an 0-6 start, which would certainly go tough on everyone and would be rather difficult to bounce back from. Also the team is almost like New and should take a few games getting used to and everything. Also, the offensive line while much improved, still might not be stable enough( hope i'm wrong) and that could very well damper our offensive production. And since Kubiak is considered to be an offensive guru, if the line isn't stable and the offense does faulter, i fear that fans might sour on Kubiak in his first year. And we are coming off a disasterous 2-14 campaign.

Which brings me to my point( yes it took awhile, and i apologize). The Texans while vastly improved they still might not ( god forbid) reach everyone's expectations. I would certainly understand if we only end up winning say around 5 games. ( I know we can manage 5 wins), I still wouldn't be upset with around 4. We will have a tough schedule from the get-go which may make it hard to recover. My point is that if the Texans don't live up to expectations, fans are going to be pretty upset and probably sour on the new regime and everything. I'm just worried that it may take the team around 1-2 years to fully live up to everyones expectations, but that fans won't be patient enough and start souring on the team. I hope this doesnt lead to a loss in ticket sales and an eventual departure from Houston. ( might be getting ahead of myself on that one).

But basically what I'm saying is while I truly believe this team is very talented and capable of doing some damage, that it may take some more time and ask everyone to have faith and remain patient. Let's not make this any tougher for the team then it already is.

Other then that, can't wait for the season to start and see this team out there ready to go, should be a fun year. GO TEXANS
Last weekend, I drove to Lake Conroe and back and was struck with how dang big the city is. I mean I know how big it is, but sometimes you need to drive and drive and drive to realize how ginormous it is.

And it always kinda surprises me to see as much Texans gear as I do in a city reputed to be only for front runners.

I believe that our city is a very prideful place that can appreciate trying to build something "the right way" even if it is not popular.

Right now, we are stuck in between hype cycles. There was ton of publicity for the draft stuff, then next to nuthin, but we are fixing to get the joy that is training camp pub. You are dead if you are immune to that hype and the fun that comes with having a team that has possibilities.

Hope is a team with a good owner, that has money, with a great stadium. People showed up to games when there was an ugly product on the field that was trying to develop--they stopped showing up when it was ugly AND was regressing.

I don't know about the win/losses next year, but what I do know is that I sure am hoping to see a product on the field that resembles NFL football. And if that happens, the fans will come. First game of the season is the "Liberty White" game against the Eagles--I betcha the stadium will be rocking and pretty cool looking.
Old 07-08-2006   #12
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think as long as there is an effort on the field and the Texans appear to be an NFL team as opposed to last year - fans will come and support them. Heck, we showed up and supported them last year and if we can do that - this year should be a piece of cake!

Yes, there were more than a few disgruntled fans and many seats were vacant toward the last half of the season - but the players weren't exactly tearing up the field either.

I think Texan fans are better than giving up as long as the players don't give up. I'm hoping for 10-6, but I'll be happy with improvement. One of the plusses in being a football fan is hope springing eternal for next year. If we can show significant improvement this year, the promise of 2007 will keep the fans coming and spending money.

I can't wait for an entire stadium filled with fans wearing "Liberty White," waving their towels and making Reliant the noisiest stadium in the NFL.

If nothing else, this season promises to be exciting as the players become more comfortable with the new scheme.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #13
jagibelieve
Veteran

Your first half of the schedule is brutal, much like ours. We actually have a couple of common opponents. Washington, Miami, Dallas and Philly are all possible wins. I would LOVE to see yall beat the Colts. If you were to win those 5 games then going 5-1 through the first 6 games isn't bad (you won't beat the Jaguars).

As far as the impact of the fans, it's an unfortunate fact that every team has bandwagon fans, though some teams have more than others. Over the last few years we had trouble with blackouts and ticket sales. Last season the team showed much improvement, and there were no blackouts. Keep in mind, Jacksonville is a much smaller market than most other NFL cities, so we have an even bigger challenge to sell the stadium out. We have already pretty much done so this season since all that are left are premium seats, and there's not many of those.

Unfortunatly for a lot of teams, there is only a handfull of fans that will show up and support their team regardless, and a large bulk that will abandon them when they are down.
jagibelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Mario Williams is a bust and the Texans continue losing, while Vince Young and Reggie Bush turn out to be very good and their teams win, then people will be trashing the Texans. If Williams is a bust, but the Texans win and if RB and VY are great but the rest of their team sucks, then nobdoy will care. Winning cures all.
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #15
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i am worried by our horrid start to the season but i think we'll be competitive in them which is the most important thing...plus imagine if we win 3 or more of the first 5..everybody will start noticing us
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing against Vince Young, but he ain't doing diddly for a few years. We'll be well on track before he starts doing whatever he's going to accomplish. Bush is the one who could embarrass us, but Mario will surely outlast him.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #17
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Realistically...

We probably will be lucky to go 2-4 after the first 6 games.

Tough schedule, new system, lot's of rookies, etc. etc. etc.

IMO the fans need to hang in there and give things time to gel, because it should get better as the season progresses. Seems to me it will help to keep the players up if we, as fans, stay up. Let's not be fair weather friends. It's hard to say how much fan support can affect a game, but I gotta think it could make a difference in the close ones.

And then of course we have a classy team owner, so it's not like he's going to throw a temper tantrum and move the team next year.

Think of the fun a few years down the road when the other teams in our division are saying "Damn! Is there any way to beat those Texans?!?"
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006   #18
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
...... stuff could go down....

Should we all be scared because "Stuff could go down"?

What is stuff and how will it go down what are you trying to say? Do you work for the mafia or what?
Old 07-09-2006   #19
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY

Sorry if what i am about to type might come off as a bit trollish, but to be honest, if Texans fans are expecting that much out of Houston, i guess they should prepare to be disappointed. You have to remember that this team was 2-14 last year and now they have a new head coach. Hiring Kubiak was IMO a smart move, but when new head coaches are hired, the first year can be rough because they have to install brand new systems into the offense and defense. Also, for a team that is in rebuilding stages, you shouldn't just look at a teams record as a gauge for being better. You look to see how players develop and improve more. However, anything is possible in the NFL. Just my
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF49erFaithful
Sorry if what i am about to type might come off as a bit trollish, but to be honest, if Texans fans are expecting that much out of Houston, i guess they should prepare to be disappointed. You have to remember that this team was 2-14 last year and now they have a new head coach. Hiring Kubiak was IMO a smart move, but when new head coaches are hired, the first year can be rough because they have to install brand new systems into the offense and defense. Also, for a team that is in rebuilding stages, you shouldn't just look at a teams record as a gauge for being better. You look to see how players develop and improve more. However, anything is possible in the NFL. Just my
IMHO, our record last year war more a reflection of bad coaching than below par talent. Yes, we DO need an upgrade at some positions, but all in all, I say we have competetively talented players at all positions. I don't feel that Kubiak is so full of swagger that he thinks he could stand fairly pat, personnel-wise, and coach up players who aren't talented enough to play at this level. He would have had a fire sale and really revamped the roster. Not to sound trollish, but we were a lot better team than our record showed and weren't but a couple of plays per game from being .500. We lost a lot of games by a few points. The Texans should be close to .500 this year based solely on improved coaching. I just looked at the 49ers schedule...I wish we had one that easy.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read