Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-06-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jay Cutler

from www.kffl.com

Broncos | Cutler struggling; not pressing Plummer
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:38:21 -0700

ESPN reports Denver Broncos rookie QB Jay Cutler is struggling with the team's offense. He does not appear close to challenging QB Jake Plummer for the No. 1 quarterback spot.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #2
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Who really thought he would be challenging Plummer for the spot this year?
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Who really thought he would be challenging Plummer for the spot this year?
Well guys like Skip Clueless and others had him ranked as the #1 QB coming out of the draft, not saying he should be pushing for the starting spot, but he should at least be somewhat getting the hang of the offense by now...
Old 07-07-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm waiting for the report saying Matt Lienart is challenging Kurt Warner for that job, before I put any weight to this story.

Until then, it means absolutely nothing.
Old 07-07-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I'm waiting for the report saying Matt Lienart is challenging Kurt Warner for that job, before I put any weight to this story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2486744

Quote:
Leinart is technically in a battle with John Navarre to back up Warner, but there seems little doubt that the rookie from USC is expected to nail down the No. 2 job.

"I think he's further along than most first-year quarterbacks would be," coach Dennis Green said. "He's worked with the two-minute offense, he's worked with a lot of things. Part of that is he comes out of a good pro passing system, part of it is that he is a very talented player when he was in that pro passing offense, and then he's a quick study."

While the plan is to groom Leinart, no one would be surprised if he wound up in the starting lineup at some point this year.
Old 07-07-2006   #6
real

that would be awesome...
Old 07-07-2006   #7
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Acctually it means he is strugling with the Offense.

I happened to get NFL Network for the Direct TV yesterday and they showed the Broncos vs Patriots Playoff game last year, and they showed many times were they had to tell Jake to stay with his progressions cause the guy he did not look at was open. Then the fade on 4th and goal was not Shanahans call Jake wanted to throw it and throw it well over the WRs head.

You could tell that they were frustrated just a little with his desicion making during the playoffs, THUS Jay Cutler pick.

Remember what Carr said about this Offense, you do what they ask you to do and go through your progressions like they ask you to and this Offense will do some great things.

But the Offense does not work when you try to do your own thing, every now and again.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Quote:
Leinart is technically in a battle with John Navarre to back up Warner, but there seems little doubt that the rookie from USC is expected to nail down the No. 2 job.

"I think he's further along than most first-year quarterbacks would be," coach Dennis Green said. "He's worked with the two-minute offense, he's worked with a lot of things. Part of that is he comes out of a good pro passing system, part of it is that he is a very talented player when he was in that pro passing offense, and then he's a quick study."

While the plan is to groom Leinart, no one would be surprised if he wound up in the starting lineup at some point this year.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2486744

I take that to mean that Matt isn't close to challenging Warner for the starting job.

Unless you've got quotes of Shanahan saying he's disappointed in Cutler.
Old 07-07-2006   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I take that to mean that Matt isn't close to challenging Warner for the starting job.

What does Leinart challenging for the #1 spot have to do with Shanahan being disappointed in Cutler?
Old 07-07-2006   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It doesn't really matter if he's competing for #1, because Warners going to get hurt as usual and Matt will be #1 anyways.
Old 07-07-2006   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay just what if here.

If Carr ends up not doing well and Cutler beats Van Pelt out of #2. Do we look for a deal to get Van Pelt?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Okay just what if here.

If Carr ends up not doing well and Cutler beats Van Pelt out of #2. Do we look for a deal to get Van Pelt?
What?

No...anyway I see Cutler as a quarterback that is going to need some time before starting, and Plummer will probably get the starting job for the season considering he took the team to the playoffs last year. Unless something horrible happens to Plummer, Cutler will be on the bench.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
What does Leinart challenging for the #1 spot have to do with Shanahan being disappointed in Cutler?

Big deal that Cutler doesn't appear to be challenging Plummer for the #1 spot. He wasn't brought in for that reason....... They drafted him as a future replacement, just like Lienart has no chance of beating Warner for the starting spot...... not now, not in Training Camp, and not as the season progresses.

The only way either of them will see playing time, is if the main guy goes down.
Old 07-07-2006   #14
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

This only tells me that I maybe should expect improvement from Carr, but not much,since Kubiak had a hand in Plummers "success" which seems to had been mimimal
Old 07-07-2006   #15
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Acctually it means he is strugling with the Offense.

I happened to get NFL Network for the Direct TV yesterday and they showed the Broncos vs Patriots Playoff game last year, and they showed many times were they had to tell Jake to stay with his progressions cause the guy he did not look at was open. Then the fade on 4th and goal was not Shanahans call Jake wanted to throw it and throw it well over the WRs head.

You could tell that they were frustrated just a little with his desicion making during the playoffs, THUS Jay Cutler pick.

Remember what Carr said about this Offense, you do what they ask you to do and go through your progressions like they ask you to and this Offense will do some great things.

But the Offense does not work when you try to do your own thing, every now and again.
Interesting, you say Denver is frustrated with Plummer because he made poor decisions in the playoffs

That is the same knock on Carr.

Carr can say whatever he wants. You can look back the last two off seasons and he says good things. What matters is on the field.

I though this thread was about Cutler anyway.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006   #16
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

You make me laugh!

"THE KNOCK", on him as you put it, were did you here that........Have a link?

I got my stuff straight from the horses mouth, Shanahan on TV.

And bro, this thread was about Jay and Jake.

I gave Carrs approval of the Offense and how Jake likes to vier off and do his own thing sometimes.

And if Carrs desicion making was so bad why pass on Matt, VY AND JAY CUTLER? The Broncos took Jay and we passed on him...............interesting.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006   #17
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You make me laugh!

"THE KNOCK", on him as you put it, were did you here that........Have a link?

I got my stuff straight from the horses mouth, Shanahan on TV.

And bro, this thread was about Jay and Jake.

I gave Carrs approval of the Offense and how Jake likes to vier off and do his own thing sometimes.

And if Carrs desicion making was so bad why pass on Matt, VY AND JAY CUTLER? The Broncos took Jay and we passed on him...............interesting.

Here is the scouting report from ESPN insider...

He is solid mechanically in his set-up - shows solid quickness to the throwing point and shows excellent release quickness. He is a smart QB that doesn't always make the best decisions, but he does know where the ball is supposed to go. He shows excellent toughness, can take a beating but will get up quickly after taking a hit. He shows excellent toughness to stand in and beat the blitz. He has a little fire in his belly - has solid leadership skills and it is apparent that players on the team believe he is good enough to win for them. He is a deceptive athlete that is an above average run threat. He shows good quickness from the pocket when he decides to run. He has solid foot quickness to buy time in the pocket. He is the type of QB that can make a play rolling out of the pocket when things up front break down on him.

There ya go.

As I have said before (as well most other people), he has the physical skills, which Plummer has too, but these guys just can't seem to get it done.

They both have the same problem, poor decisions.

This scouting report is very glowing of Carr, but if he can't make good decisions, all the talent in the world isn't going to help or the Texans.
Old 07-07-2006   #18
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The team had many holes to fill. If it would have been my call, I would have drafted Vince, but I can't argue with the decision of taking Mario Williams even though I wouldn't have called it.

Two things are critical in the NFL, a stout defense and reletentless running game. The first four picks in this years draft addressed that immensely in a way they have never done before in the previous four years.

As much as I bang on Carr, who else were they going to have if you don't go in the draft with one of three guys you mentioned? Aaron Brooks, Duante Culpepper, Joey Harrington, Kerry Collins, or whoever else. Ouch....

Just because they didn't draft a quarterback, doesn't mean they are totally sold on Carr. Maybe they thought there were bigger holes to fill first? Which I probably would agree with, but I think Vince is a one time guy that will be amazing and woud have been worth it.

To sum up, I am not sold Carr because I don't think he makes poor decisions, but it would be hard to find anyone better than him that were available at the time.

Last edited by hollywood_texan; 07-07-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2006   #19
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

A pair of overrated QBs battling it out. Should be (un)interesting.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006   #20
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45144 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
A pair of overrated QBs battling it out. Should be (un)interesting.
Your guys sign Collins yet.

Should provide a little competiton for Henson...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read