Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-06-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default David Carr interview link

Link to David Carr/Morning Crew interview from last week

I talk about this some in today's blog post: Link: David Carr: International Man of Mystery

Personally, I don't participate in many David Carr is god/sucks threads because it is pointless and I think nobody really knows for sure--hence my international man of mystery tag on him.

If you haven't listened to that audio, it is worth listening to. It has info that hasn't been in other sources, or has just been rumored.
Old 07-06-2006   #2
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

ahh thanks

I was just about to post a new Carr thread because the old was slipping to page two. I am not sure what is going on around here either? I guess everyone ate too much barbcue for the 4th and now they are slacking!!

Old 07-06-2006   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I didn't really want to do a Carr post on the blog but uh, given that it is a Texans blog, I am guessing I gotta do at least one.
Old 07-06-2006   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article. I wish we could hear what the players REALLY thought of the old schemes/regime. Probably wouldn't be fit for a family environment such as this. LOL
The O-line is going to be a must-see thing in TC. I wouldn't be surprised to see a completely revamped one with Pitts being the only starter left from last year.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #5
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Is there a transcript of it somewhere?
Old 07-06-2006   #6
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

really good stuff, he spoke out a lot, you know he has been wanting to speak up a little.

I am very exited about this year for him.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
Is there a transcript of it somewhere?
yeah that's what I was looking for too!
Old 07-06-2006   #8
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

nice blog, chick. I'm in South Texas but I look forward to reading your stuff online. 21 days until camp!!!!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #9
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

20 days till the depth charts.
Old 07-06-2006   #10
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone pace themselves, this is probably going to take 3 years or so, according to the blog chick. I came to that conclusion at the end of last season.

Amazing, 4 years and not much to show for it. But, we already knew that.

The last paragraph from the blog hit me in the gut. Ahhh, reality.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
20 days till the depth charts.
AN ETERNITY!!!!! OH GOD!!!! THE HUMANITY OF IT ALL!!!!!
Old 07-06-2006   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Default I have no career as a stenographer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
Everyone pace themselves, this is probably going to take 3 years or so, according to the blog chick. I came to that conclusion at the end of last season.

Amazing, 4 years and not much to show for it. But, we already knew that.

The last paragraph from the blog hit me in the gut. Ahhh, reality.
It's just opinion. You never know how things are actually going to go until they play. That's the fun of it.

The four years didn't go for nothing. Adversity shows character. You aren't seeing any Texans skipping OTAs cuz they are pissed and want to win. And maybe finally they are getting a legit system that isn't cobbled together that will let them do that.

As for a transcript, I don't have one, but I do have some scribbled down half notes that I took when I was working on my blog item (typos and half thoughts with no guarantees of complete accuracy but better than a swift kick and with jokes about Sierra Plantation being close to Mexico omitted):

DAVID CARR:

David Carr remember everything that’s said in the offseason even if he wasn't paying attention to it. Heck yeah, it feeds him. Everybody on the team is pissed off and ready to play.

We hate losing more than the fans do. We take it home with us.

You can’t doubt yourself. I know I can play this game and play at a high level.

I’ve seen what happens with this offense if you buy in. Just got to plug into it. It raises everyone’s level of play. (AJs route running has been amazing).

Pendry—he was put in a tough situations—his offense didn’t mesh with Chris’s offense. He didn't seem comfortable

Pendry let Carr call plays against the Rams and Cards. I felt comfortable doing it. Wanted to give the guys who would stay with the team hope.

Two rookie linemen will contribute—Spencer is getting a lot of time. Stalemate with Mario.

Though there were some good picks in the past with the line, the team had no offensive scheme. Now they know what kinda of bodies they need for their system no matter what round.

Mario is kinda a quiet guy but got totally pumped at the All Access party where they were chanting his name. He felt like he belonged.

Fans will be excited when they see Mario play.

We were so behind the curve with the zone last year--you can tell with the coaching. Though the running backs have different abilities, you can really plug and play the RBs.

Kubiak said Carr was most improved. Carr interprets this as acknowledging his hard work.

There are multiple reads in the new offense—keeping eyes on the goal posts, instead of locking in on just one receiver

Kubiak has worked a lot with him on reading defenses--for example looking to see whether the linebackers are stepping up or back. Nobody in the past talked to him about these sorts of things.

Love Pendry and Palmer because of what they went through together, Greg Roman too, but Kubiak playing the position makes a difference.

Troy Calhoun is a genius. But doesn’t make it complicated for the WR.

Play action is going to be big in this offense. They are doing it well and sound—against the right defenses.

“I just want an opportunity to win football games.”

The biggest thing is the change in the scheme from last year.

So there you go.
Old 07-06-2006   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

that was much better than what I just read on www.texansrock.com

Quote:
Submitted by Byran Farris on Tue, 2006-06-27 09:28.
610 AM Radio in Houston replayed a short interview with David Carr this morning from a charity golf tourney he was playing in yesterday. From the top of my head, here are a few take-aways

- David didn't realize how behind the curve they were in the zone blocking scheme until the new coaching staff arrived.

- Said he could definately see how Denver was able to "plug-n-play" multiple RB's in their systems. Expects the Texans to have a RB by committee approach.

- He is excited about the way Andre Johnson looks running his routes as well as the addition of a pass catching TE. (Billy Miller was a great safty net the 1st few years for Carr IMO)

- Carr called the plays in part of the later games in the year (1st half and Arizona and SF). We actually had some decent success in scored 24 points in the 1st half against Zona.

- Touched on the difference of the new coaching staff helping him on small things that he may have gotten away from since college. The 610 guys pushed him a little on this and Carr gave the example of "locking on" to WR's. Said they are working to look downfield at the goalposts instead of one side of the field. Carr mentioned picking up whether a team was in man-to-man by the 1st step of the LB's - If they step forward, the D is most likely in man-to-man because the LB has RB responsibility. They 610 guys pushed a little more on this basically asking if David had ever been taught to look for this....you could could tell he was a little uncomfortable, but the gist of his answer was NO. Having Kubiak, Calhoun, and Sherman working with Carr should do wonders IMO.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #14
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Those are the most in-depth responses we've gotten out of Carr in 5 years. Most of his previous comments seemed very boilerplate. It almost sounds like a huge weight has been lifted and he feels like he can repsond more openly.

Keep up the good work Stephanie. It's nice to be able to read something refreshing in what seems like the longest offseason ever.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #15
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
It's just opinion.
This is what you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick from her blog
Three years. And this is coming to a team that already knows the system. This is probably not what you want to hear, but "reality" is not just a mislabled, unwatchable type of television programming that spells the death of civilization as we know it.
I was merely living in reality and I agree with your last paragraph.

My point wasn't to dump all over your opinion but to point out the important perspective of that last paragraph and put a little historical context to it.

No offense Texans Chick (please don't take this personally), but I am a season ticketholder and I get the glossy stuff regularly, and I am getting a little tired of the words and the marketing fluff. However, on the topic of your coverage, including the points you posted to my response, good job! Please don't think I am shooting the messenger. It appears you take great pride in what you do and you seem to do it well.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Can you believe the kinds of things the last staff DID NOT do? How can you fail to work with your QB on reading things like the LB's stepping up or back and not locking onto a receiver, but looking downfield?Reading D's and NOT being read by the D are basics. Makes one wonder. Can McNair get any of Capers and Co.'s salary back for gross neglect and derliction of duty??
Old 07-06-2006   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
Can you believe the kinds of things the last staff DID NOT do? How can you fail to work with your QB on reading things like the LB's stepping up or back and not locking onto a receiver, but looking downfield?Reading D's and NOT being read by the D are basics. Makes one wonder. Can McNair get any of Capers and Co.'s salary back for gross neglect and derliction of duty??
That was my first thought. I didn't clearly understand if the locking on to receivers was due to what the coaching wanted him to do or if he had the tendency to do that.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
The four years didn't go for nothing. Adversity shows character. You aren't seeing any Texans skipping OTAs cuz they are pissed and want to win.
You probably didn't see Texans skipping OTAs because there's new bosses to impress and new systems to learn ... although the "chip on the shoulder" offseason theme for returning Texans players makes for better drama - at least for now.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #19
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
That was my first thought. I didn't clearly understand if the locking on to receivers was due to what the coaching wanted him to do or if he had the tendency to do that.
He said the Offense they ran was a WR had to beat the coverage they through at the WR.
So he HAD to lock on to the guy to make sure he would beat him, he sounded like it was either watch the main reciever and if it does not work look to dump the football.

GREAT plan Chris!

Quote:
.........the old scheme he had one read that he would tend to lock into.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Probably both. The guy has to be shellshocked after 208 sacks. I'd be locking onto my main target, too.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read