Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-05-2006   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default More Tight End discussion

We have 7 Tight Ends on the roster, by far the most competition we've had in 4 years. Aside from Putzier and Daniels, I don't see anyone being a lock to make the team.

Bruener
Putzier
Daniels
Joppru
Hape
Steele
Halterman

How many do we carry and who makes the final roster?

For those of you asking "what is this Tight End that you speak of"??? Here's some good info... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tight_end

And here's an interesting note from a guy you might not have heard of, that is on the current roster...

Texans | Steele looking to land a roster spot
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 06:55:31 -0700

Allen Gemaehlich, of the Daily Sentinel, reports Houston Texans TE Ben Steele is looking to land a roster spot in training camp. "I'm excited about it," Steele said. "I think it's a good fit. The Texans are an on-the-rise team. My chances are as good as ever. I knew something would happen, it was just when. I talked to some teams in the offseason and went through a change in agents." Steele is hoping a change in scenery will increase his opportunity to stick on an NFL roster. "Houston assistant head coach Mike Sherman) brought me in," Steele said of the Packers' former head coach. "He's my connection to Houston. It's good to have someone like have him on my side." Steele played for Sherman in Green Bay last season.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #2
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
We have 7 Tight Ends on the roster, by far the most competition we've had in 4 years. Aside from Putzier and Daniels, I don't see anyone being a lock to make the team.

Bruener
Putzier
Daniels
Joppru
Hape
Steele
Halterman

How many do we carry and who makes the final roster?

For those of you asking "what is this Tight End that you speak of"??? Here's some good info... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tight_end

And here's an interesting note from a guy you might not have heard of, that is on the current roster...

Texans | Steele looking to land a roster spot
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 06:55:31 -0700

Allen Gemaehlich, of the Daily Sentinel, reports Houston Texans TE Ben Steele is looking to land a roster spot in training camp. "I'm excited about it," Steele said. "I think it's a good fit. The Texans are an on-the-rise team. My chances are as good as ever. I knew something would happen, it was just when. I talked to some teams in the offseason and went through a change in agents." Steele is hoping a change in scenery will increase his opportunity to stick on an NFL roster. "Houston assistant head coach Mike Sherman) brought me in," Steele said of the Packers' former head coach. "He's my connection to Houston. It's good to have someone like have him on my side." Steele played for Sherman in Green Bay last season.
If Joppru doesn't make the squad, what was the point of the last 3 seasons? I would be surprised if they cut bait on him without giving him good reps in the regular season.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #3
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
If Joppru doesn't make the squad, what was the point of the last 3 seasons? I would be surprised if they cut bait on him without giving him good reps in the regular season.
Joppru would actually make good trade bait ( during the season ) for some team that wears out in TEs and has extra of something we might need.

I am not sure how his contract is worked right now though. I am sure whoever cleans the sauna will miss him!

He might have a 4 year or 3 year contract??? ... either way, I bet you could fetch a decent nickleback or a RB for him.
Old 07-05-2006   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

The way I rank the TEs

1.) Putzier
2.) Bruener
3.) Joppru
4.) Daniels
5.) Steele
6.) Hape
7.) Halterman

If Bruener stays, the first four will make the team. If Bruener goes, things will get interesting.
Old 07-05-2006   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
Joppru would actually make good trade bait ( during the season ) for some team that wears out in TEs and has extra of something we might need.

I am not sure how his contract is worked right now though. I am sure whoever cleans the sauna will miss him!

He might have a 4 year or 3 year contract??? ... either way, I bet you could fetch a decent nickleback or a RB for him.
With the past health problems I don't see getting anything for him until he's proven something other than keeping the trainers busy. I know you said during the season but I don't think that'll be enough time for him to prove to everyone he's durable. I hope to see Joppru on the field playing and contributing for the Texans. He needs to choke down a few steak and potatoe dinners and then hit the gym in order to bulk up about 20 pds for TE. IMO
Old 07-05-2006   #6
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
With the past health problems I don't see getting anything for him until he's proven something other than keeping the trainers busy. I know you said during the season but I don't think that'll be enough time for him to prove to everyone he's durable.
I guess what I was thinking is that it is better to deal him without risking to prove that he is in fact not durable at all!

During the season is when someone would want him them most ( provided they ran short on TE's due to injury ). If we wait to waive him, then his stock slides a little bit. I am not sure anybody is going to give us a 2nd round pick for him when the draft is coming up.

I am just babbling though

We need Joppru and I suspect that I will see a lot of him. Carr has whined a little bit in the past about not being able to break Dungy's Cover 2. One of the ways to do it is with two TE's in the middle and short-long WR's on the outside. So we want to have at least one fast TE that can split the middle open like wedging a coconut, so to speak.

Here's a quick break down on the Cover 2
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...514&type=story
http://www.startribune.com/101/story/173574.html

So if you can put two TE's on the line and have some that can beat the LBs on any given play, you can stab the soft spot in the Cover 2 scheme.

Last edited by TwinSisters; 07-05-2006 at 04:04 PM.
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess what I was thinking is that it is better to deal him without risking to prove that he is in fact not durable at all!

During the season is when someone would want him them most ( provided they ran short on TE's due to injury ). If we wait to waive him, then his stock slides a little bit. I am not sure anybody is going to give us a 2nd round pick for him when the draft is coming up.

I am just babbling though

We need Joppru and I suspect that I will see a lot of him. Carr has whined a little bit in the past about not being able to break Dungy's Cover 2. One of the ways to do it is with two TE's in the middle and short-long WR's on the outside. So we want to have at least one fast TE that can split the middle open like wedging a coconut, so to speak.

I agree. I'm not sure I'd say the C--- word though. Let's just say "somebody has whined".
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2006   #8
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
[/b]

I agree. I'm not sure I'd say the C--- word though. Let's just say "somebody has whined".
Yes sorry.

here let me use the A---- word instead.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/davie/1437187.html

This guy is an A----. He still does really good articles on schemes and plays though, so I imagine he has some really good assistants working for him. The problem with this article is that he only talks about it using the Pro Set. If you got better pass catching-blocking TE's, you can mix up the running attack better and hit the pass quicker with double TE's. ( The TE's line-up closer to line and you do not have to wait on the 4th option RB to get up field )

I have heard Kubiak talking about using double TE's in his ZBS rushing attack. That's another reason I suspect I will see more of it this season. We shall see!
Old 07-05-2006   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Yes sorry.

here let me use the A---- word instead.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/davie/1437187.html

This guy is an A----. He still does really good articles on schemes and plays though, so I imagine he has some really good assistants working for him. The problem with this article is that he only talks about it using the Pro Set. If you got better pass catching-blocking TE's, you can mix up the running attack better and hit the pass quicker with double TE's. ( The TE's line-up closer to line and you do not have to wait on the 4th option RB to get up field )

I have heard Kubiak talking about using double TE's in his ZBS rushing attack. That's another reason I suspect I will see more of it this season. We shall see!
Nice find, I now see what you're saying. I think Joppru can fit if he puts on a few more pds. I guess we could use Bruener as one of the TEs for a blocker if the D is getting too much of a rush on the QB.
Old 07-05-2006   #10
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout109.html

I am going to take one more in from Aggie central. Weiland talks about the changes they made and what the Texans were thinking when they drafted Joppru. This article is dated from June of last year... O how much some things change and how some remain the same.

Quote:
No, a big reason why those stats couldn't be produced over a full 16-game schedule is because the Texans ran into a buzzsaw of a defense known as the cover-2. The Texans faced that defense at least five times in the second half of the 2004 season, only beating it once, against the Bears in a game defined more by survival of the elements (against a decidedly weaker opponent) than by a mastery of the cover-2.

The cover-2 defense gave the Texans offense problems because it took away the deep pass patterns, a cornerstone of the gameplan endorsed by offensive coordinator Chris Palmer. Executed to perfection by Colts head coach Tony Dungy while he was with the Buccaneers, the cover-2 splits deep zone coverage with a pair of safeties to stymie those long passes. Sometimes, the cover-2 can be masked by bringing up one safety “in the box” and a speedy linebacker can drop into zone coverage unexpectedly, but the result is still marked by an offense’s inability to move the ball downfield in big chunks.
( what we think and guess what the Texans were thinking! )

I not going to go into a rant about how stupid this idea was because it just gets my blood pressure up over spilt milk, however it is worth looking at again when talking about tight ends.
Old 07-05-2006   #11
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bruener's leadership and blocking are rock solid, however, I'm not sure he has the receiving skills that Coach K covets. Putzier and Joppru (+ 20 lbs) in a two TE set could be very dangerous.

If we need a blocking TE for goal line sets, we could bring in Eric Winston...he could be an interesting option in red zone also (if he can still catch).

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #12
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan
Bruener's leadership and blocking are rock solid, however, I'm not sure he has the receiving skills that Coach K covets. Putzier and Joppru (+ 20 lbs) in a two TE set could be very dangerous.

If we need a blocking TE for goal line sets, we could bring in Eric Winston...he could be an interesting option in red zone also (if he can still catch).
Bruener used to have decent skills as a reciever, but he just hasn't been asked to use them much recently. I think he can remember how, but I still don't see him catching many passes.

Interesting thought about Winston as a TE on the goal line. I knew he used to be a TE, but it never occured to me to use him as one in the nfl.
Old 07-05-2006   #13
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan

yeah

Johnson - Joppru - Putzier - Moulds is what I expect to see ( right now )

Bruener I think has the hands, but not the speed/quickness. He wasn't targeted a lot last season for a reason though ( I suspect ). Hard to say if he was dropping a lot of balls or if he was just worked out of the game plan to make Carr's progressions faster?!?! Don't know.
---

Daniels has a lot of injuries!! Yikes.

Quote:
Owen Daniels has torn the left ACL in his knee twice and the left MCL once.
from Footballguys.com
Old 07-05-2006   #14
BlueThunder
Veteran

I think will carry 3 on the 48 and 1 extra on the 52 the rest will mostlikely go to the practice squad...we get a few exemptions for Europe so expect a TE to be hidden there...We have FB and 3d back so we can carry up to 3 TB there..I'm just not sure Lundy will be able to help but may have a place on the 52..that is if we bring in a Stephen Davis Bennett or Fred Taylor..

Check this out for a power run

Dominuque Davis ///the battle in camp Antwain Smith & Stephen Davis & Wali Lundy

Theres going to be one heck of a battle for that number 3 and 4 spot at TE..

Last edited by BlueThunder; 07-05-2006 at 11:12 PM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
yeah

Johnson - Joppru - Putzier - Moulds is what I expect to see ( right now )

Bruener I think has the hands, but not the speed/quickness. He wasn't targeted a lot last season for a reason though ( I suspect ). Hard to say if he was dropping a lot of balls or if he was just worked out of the game plan to make Carr's progressions faster?!?! Don't know.
---

Daniels has a lot of injuries!! Yikes.

from Footballguys.com
If memory serves me correct, I don't think Bruener was ever brought in to be a receiving TE. I beleive it was to block from the begining. I think that was the bandaid the previous coaching staff put on the line instead of improving the linemen.
Old 07-06-2006   #16
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If memory serves me correct, I don't think Bruener was ever brought in to be a receiving TE. I beleive it was to block from the begining. I think that was the bandaid the previous coaching staff put on the line instead of improving the linemen.
Yeah?!?! I don't know.. I guess Capers was thinking that he could grind out some wins on the ground like Cowher's squad. It's not like our blocking line has been that bad. ( which in turn makes the Carr riddle all that more intriguing )
Old 07-06-2006   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Yeah?!?! I don't know.. I guess Capers was thinking that he could grind out some wins on the ground like Cowher's squad. It's not like our blocking line has been that bad. ( which in turn makes the Carr riddle all that more intriguing )
Yea, I've read a little on the zone blocking scheme and one thing kind of stood out to me. I think the link has been posted on here before. I beleive it said the zone blocking was good for run but suffered a bit in the passing catagory, hence the reason for a running QB. I guess that's where the single and double TEs come in huh?
Old 07-06-2006   #18
real

Quote:
Yea, I've read a little on the zone blocking scheme and one thing kind of stood out to me. I think the link has been posted on here before. I beleive it said the zone blocking was good for run but suffered a bit in the passing catagory, hence the reason for a running QB. I guess that's where the single and double TEs come in huh?
IMO, pass blocking is pass blocking whether you are running man or zone blocking...I don't really see how your run blocking scheme will have much of an impact on your pass pro...If someone is going to get beat or doesn't know their assignment it leads to a sack regardless of what run blocking scheme you use...The only difference it will make in the passing game is in play actions, and bootlegs, and IMO those two types of plays make a linemans job easier...
Old 07-06-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
IMO, pass blocking is pass blocking whether you are running man or zone blocking...I don't really see how your run blocking scheme will have much of an impact on your pass pro...If someone is going to get beat or doesn't know their assignment it leads to a sack regardless of what run blocking scheme you use...The only difference it will make in the passing game is in play actions, and bootlegs, and IMO those two types of plays make a linemans job easier...
One negative that zone blocking can have on pass blocking is in personnel. If you build your line with light, quick offensive lineman to zone block, their pass blocking may suffer compared to a heavier line.
Old 07-06-2006   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
One negative that zone blocking can have on pass blocking is in personnel. If you build your line with light, quick offensive lineman to zone block, their pass blocking may suffer compared to a heavier line.
That may be true...But it may not be...Being heavier doesn't make you a better pass blocker than someone lighter...But that wasn't my point I was just reffering to scheme...If you start talking personnel then it gets redundant...i.e...If we had the top five lineman in the leauge it probably wouldn't matter what blocking scheme we ran...I was just saying IMO, the actual zone blocking system doesn't put you at any lesser of an advantage pass blocking wise...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read