Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-05-2006   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Weeks 6-9

If we could manage to have a win streak during these four weeks, we would really be in the best position to do well the
second half of the season.

Game 6: Jacksonville. We host the Jaguars in our first game of the season with them. We were 0-2 vs. the Jaguars last season.

Game 7: Tennessee. We play this game in Tennessee in our first game against the Titans this year. We were also 0-2 against the Titans last year.

Game 8: New York. The giants are always a good team to beat because so many people in the northwest part of the country get those games on their CBS coverage. Plus we are playing them at home.

Game 9: Jacksonville. The rematch between a division rival is in Jacksonville.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

We might come out of that with a 2-2 split. Doubt we do much better.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole
If we could manage to have a win streak during these four weeks, we would really be in the best position to do well the

Game 6: Jacksonville. We host the Jaguars in our first game of the season with them. We were 0-2 vs. the Jaguars last season.

Game 7: Tennessee. We play this game in Tennessee in our first game against the Titans this year. We were also 0-2 against the Titans last year.

Game 8: New York. The giants are always a good team to beat because so many people in the northwest part of the country get those games on their CBS coverage. Plus we are playing them at home.

I'm hoping for 3-1 through that part of the schedule. I would settle for 2-2 with wins Jags(hm) and Tenn(hm). But hey who knows we could go 4-0 There's no telling. It's all speculation at this time anyways.
Old 07-05-2006   #4
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
We might come out of that with a 2-2 split. Doubt we do much better.
I agree - but I'll hope for 3-1 which will be tough....real tough especially with games 7, 8, and 9 on the road.

I think we will beat Jacksonville at home and Tennessee - the Giants are iffey at best, but that is the third one I hope we do win. I don't think we will win over Jacksonville in their house. Can't win 'em all........this year.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #5
jagibelieve
Veteran

Quote:

I say that you might go 2-2 at best, but probably 1-3. I don't see you guys beating Jacksonville (not starting smack), you may beat the Giants, and probably will beat the Titans.
jagibelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagibelieve
I don't see you guys beating Jacksonville (not starting smack)
Did you see the Jags getting swept by the Texans in '04? Or splitting the games in '02 & '03?

The series stands at 4 games apiece. Logic suggests a split in '06.
Old 07-05-2006   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagibelieve
I say that you might go 2-2 at best, but probably 1-3. I don't see you guys beating Jacksonville (not starting smack), you may beat the Giants, and probably will beat the Titans.
Other than last year, we've basically owned the Jags. I'm not saying that we've been a better team at any means. For some reason we've just stepped it up more against ya'll. We've gotten much better by coaching alone much less additional players. So what makes the Jags better than us? Please don't say Leftwich either. I'm saying we split this year and sweep next year
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Do they have anyone to make up for the loss of Jimmy Smith?

I think at worse we will split with them. The home team usually doesn't win this game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Only thing to worry about with Jacksonville is if their D will be able to shut our O down. I say if we can score atleast 21 we have those two games ez.
Old 07-05-2006   #10
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What are you assuming for the first 5 games? They play the Eagles, Colts, Redskins, Dolphins, and Cowboys. That is a tough schedule to start out.

Once a few preseason games are played, I think we will have a good indication of where they are going to start the season. If they play poorly during the preseason, I don't see them changing that until midway or late in the season.

Having said that, at this moment I could see the Texans easily going 1-4 or 0-5 to start the season before the stretch you refer to. I see the Eagles game as critical to start the season because it highly unlikely they will beat the Colts week 2 at Indy. They really can't start of 0-2 and playing the Redskins, Dolphins, and Cowboys and expect to 2-1.

Games 7, 8, and 9 are on the road, which is really tough. You mention the Giants game is in Houston. It isn't according to the schedule.

I have said this several times, the Texans need to hover around .500 for the first 12 games (no less than 1 game under .500), and then the schedule appears to be in their favor regarding opponents and playing at home. They should be able to beat the Titans and Browns at home, and I suspect they will beat Indy for the first time on Christmas Eve after having their butts handed to them by the Patriots the week before at a friged Foxborro.

That scenario would put them at 9-7 for the year, which would be a great year!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
What are you assuming for the first 5 games? They play the Eagles, Colts, Redskins, Dolphins, and Cowboys. That is a tough schedule to start out.

Once a few preseason games are played, I think we will have a good indication of where they are going to start the season. If they play poorly during the preseason, I don't see them changing that until midway or late in the season.

Having said that, at this moment I could see the Texans easily going 1-4 or 0-5 to start the season before the stretch you refer to. I see the Eagles game as critical to start the season because it highly unlikely they will beat the Colts week 2 at Indy. They really can't start of 0-2 and playing the Redskins, Dolphins, and Cowboys and expect to 2-1.

Games 7, 8, and 9 are on the road, which is really tough. You mention the Giants game is in Houston. It isn't according to the schedule.

I have said this several times, the Texans need to hover around .500 for the first 12 games (no less than 1 game under .500), and then the schedule appears to be in their favor regarding opponents and playing at home. They should be able to beat the Titans and Browns at home, and I suspect they will beat Indy for the first time on Christmas Eve after having their butts handed to them by the Patriots the week before at a friged Foxborro.

That scenario would put them at 9-7 for the year, which would be a great year!

I meant playing them at their home stadium, sorry for the confusion...Yes i think this is our biggest four game stretch because there are 3 division games there. It is very important to have a winning divisional record.
Old 07-05-2006   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't even play the Giants. We play the NY Jets. I think we can take the Jets.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

[quote=TexansSeminole]I meant playing them at their home stadium, sorry for the confusion...Yes i think this is our biggest four game stretch because there are 3 division games there. It is very important to have a winning divisional record.[/QUOTE]

Kinda sounds like Capers over the past few years. LOL

I agree to a certain extent. I don't think a winning divisional record makes that much of a difference if you get throttled by every other team you play. Don't get me wrong it definetly makes a difference but I want to see us get a good head start record wise before we get into the heart of the division games.
Old 07-05-2006   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Well yea, you cant lose all your other games. But you have to see that wins against teams in our division count two fold for the playoffs. They get a loss, and we get a win. Puts us higher in the standings of our division. Plus, being on top of your division is the first step in becoming a dominant NFL team.

And we do play the Giants, here is my source: http://houstontexans.com/gameday/sch...n=G%20Schedule
Old 07-05-2006   #15
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
We don't even play the Giants. We play the NY Jets. I think we can take the Jets.
We play them both, http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday...n=G%20Schedule.

Giants on the road, 11/5

Jets on the road, 11/26
Old 07-05-2006   #16
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well yea, you cant lose all your other games. But you have to see that wins against teams in our division count two fold for the playoffs. They get a loss, and we get a win. Puts us higher in the standings of our division. Plus, being on top of your division is the first step in becoming a dominant NFL team.
I agree with your premise, but this teams needs to be at .500 at that point of the season. If they can take care of that, they will have a good shot to do what you are saying they need to do. But, if they can't do that, it could get very ugly.
Old 07-05-2006   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we reversed our schedule and played the latter first, I think we might wind up with a 9-11 win season, because we would build a bit of confidence and momentum with the what seems to be the easier part first. However, playing it the way it's laid out, 6-10 is about where I think we wind up at.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
If we reversed our schedule and played the latter first, I think we might wind up with a 9-11 win season, because we would build a bit of confidence and momentum with the what seems to be the easier part first. However, playing it the way it's laid out, 6-10 is about where I think we wind up at.
I'd be satisfied, not happy, but satisfied with that. Now you throw in maybe 2 more of those close games that we used to lose then I'd be happy.
Old 07-06-2006   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Jimmy Smith has retired, but....Who covers the 6-6, 4.4, 240 pound guy ? If Danta does...who gets the speedster ? Jones deffinatly posses a few match up problems for us. 178 lbs. corner can only do so much. Jacksonville has the best pair of DTs in the league. If we split with them, I'd be happy. Maybe we catch them the week they are down with the flu. Who does Jax play week of the 15th ? Inquiring minds want to know. Jack's no fool. Give most NFL guys two weeks to prepair...THEY, not us .... have the advantage.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #20
jagibelieve
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Other than last year, we've basically owned the Jags. I'm not saying that we've been a better team at any means. For some reason we've just stepped it up more against ya'll. We've gotten much better by coaching alone much less additional players. So what makes the Jags better than us? Please don't say Leftwich either. I'm saying we split this year and sweep next year
You are right about the fact that your team always plays us tough. I was actually kind of suprised at how your season ended up last year. You have a new coach, a new system, and yes a few new players, but it doesnt't all come together "over night" so to speak.

To answer your question about why I think the Jags are better, it is most definatly the defense, especially against your offensive line. That's one area that your team really needs to improve on. I like Carr, and have said as much on several message boards. I think he can be a real good QB if he doesn't have to run for dear life or pick himself up off the turf all the time.
jagibelieve is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read