Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-04-2006   #1
johnny_tlmn

Post Training Camp and Team

Its pre training camp and hope always springs eternal, but I have really high hopes for this years draft class. Of course being a standout draft for the Texans is sort of like being the best-looking woman at a NOW convention - it doesn't take much. Draft Day I was still numb from the Texans passing on Reggie Bush, but I started feeling much better when the team selected Charles Spencer & Eric Winston respectively in the third round. Spencer I wasn't really familiar with, but I was with Winston primarily because he played at a program which always gets plenty of exposure and also because Winston was widely considered a first-round draft pick before blowing out his anterior cruciate ligament.
The reason I mention this is because many people still feel that ACL injuries are the death knell for athletes the way they were 10 -12 years ago. Even if an athlete comes back from an ACL injury they will not be quite what they were ( see Highsmith, Alonzo ). With Walt Lowe overseeing Winston's continued rehab there is no doubt in my mind that he will make a 100% recovery. Look for Eric Winston to be one of the steals of the draft. His build and athletic ability - recruited at Miami as a tight end - make him perfect for Kubiak's offense. While we are on the subject of health, another guy with his share of injury problems - Mike Flanagan - could be huge should he stay healthy for 16 games.

With the addition of Eric Moulds and Jeb Putzier to what the Texans already have they are set at the skill positions. If Kubiak, Mike Sherman & John Benton can improve the line significantly, who is to say the Texans couldn't be one of the surprise teams of 2006 in this age of parity? Of course "surprise" for this team would be 13-3 or 4-1.(...but its late June...hope springing eternal & all that...)

I'm excited to see what a one-man wrecking crew like Mario Williams will do for our defense; I'm looking for Demeco Ryans ( whom everyone from Mel Kiper to Dan Pompei to John McClain thought was a steal for the Texans at 33 ) to win a starting spot at OLB. Jason Babin will get to return to DE which is his natural position; what will Antwan Peek do in this new defense and with someone like Williams to attract attention from offensive coordinators? C.C. Brown comes back with a year's experience under his belt. Heck, even Phillip Buchanon will be in a contract year so maybe he will start caring...ok, lets not get silly...

Training camp is around the corner...looking forward to another season of the Greatest Show on Earth NFL Football...nothing like it.
Old 07-05-2006   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_tlmn
Its pre training camp and hope always springs eternal, but I have really high hopes for this years draft class. Of course being a standout draft for the Texans is sort of like being the best-looking woman at a NOW convention - it doesn't take much. Draft Day I was still numb from the Texans passing on Reggie Bush, but I started feeling much better when the team selected Charles Spencer & Eric Winston respectively in the third round. Spencer I wasn't really familiar with, but I was with Winston primarily because he played at a program which always gets plenty of exposure and also because Winston was widely considered a first-round draft pick before blowing out his anterior cruciate ligament.
The reason I mention this is because many people still feel that ACL injuries are the death knell for athletes the way they were 10 -12 years ago. Even if an athlete comes back from an ACL injury they will not be quite what they were ( see Highsmith, Alonzo ). With Walt Lowe overseeing Winston's continued rehab there is no doubt in my mind that he will make a 100% recovery. Look for Eric Winston to be one of the steals of the draft. His build and athletic ability - recruited at Miami as a tight end - make him perfect for Kubiak's offense. While we are on the subject of health, another guy with his share of injury problems - Mike Flanagan - could be huge should he stay healthy for 16 games.

With the addition of Eric Moulds and Jeb Putzier to what the Texans already have they are set at the skill positions. If Kubiak, Mike Sherman & John Benton can improve the line significantly, who is to say the Texans couldn't be one of the surprise teams of 2006 in this age of parity? Of course "surprise" for this team would be 13-3 or 4-1.(...but its late June...hope springing eternal & all that...)

I'm excited to see what a one-man wrecking crew like Mario Williams will do for our defense; I'm looking for Demeco Ryans ( whom everyone from Mel Kiper to Dan Pompei to John McClain thought was a steal for the Texans at 33 ) to win a starting spot at OLB. Jason Babin will get to return to DE which is his natural position; what will Antwan Peek do in this new defense and with someone like Williams to attract attention from offensive coordinators? C.C. Brown comes back with a year's experience under his belt. Heck, even Phillip Buchanon will be in a contract year so maybe he will start caring...ok, lets not get silly...

Training camp is around the corner...looking forward to another season of the Greatest Show on Earth NFL Football...nothing like it.
Winston is the funny one, because most now consider Spencer the better player and perhapes the real steal. Winston did not look good at all in the Senior Bowl and Spencer looked very good. Was Winston simply over mature and now others are catching up.

Its like Mario. Is he still growing and getting better while the others have reached their pennicle. It goes both ways on Mario. Some think he achieved because of others. It will be interesting to see. I happen not to be in that camp.

The O-line is still the story as far as the offense is concerned. I think all of us wished TC was here so we could get some idea as to what is happening. I think like last year though, the 1st preseason game is going to give us a big insight into what we have. It might be the most important game of the season in one respect.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Im heading back to Houston at the beginning of August. Im going to catch some of those preseason games, that should really show the depth of our team.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know one thing: if we look bad in preseason, I am not going to say, "It's only preseason."
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #5
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
I know one thing: if we look bad in preseason, I am not going to say, "It's only preseason."
I agree. It is much more important to see where we are headed early. If they look like an organized unit, even if they are missing some assignments, I will be happy.
But if they look like they have no freakin clue!?!?!?!?
Oh well....it's just preseason
Old 07-05-2006   #6
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ah yes, I remember this being a devisive issue last season. There were a lot of people that claimed the preseason didn't matter (including Coach Capers who made statements like "we know what we've got"). I expect there to a lot more effort to win preseason than in the past.

Last edited by the wonger need food; 07-05-2006 at 11:55 AM.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Ah yes, I remember this being a decisive issue last season. There were a lot of people that claimed the preseason didn't matter (including Coach Capers who made statements like "we know what we've got"). I expect there to a lot more effort to win preseason than in the past.
It'll definetly be competitive. That's what I'm looking forward to watching. When there's competition at a position there's going to be some hard hitting slobber-knocking going on. 3-1 or 4-0 preseason
Old 07-05-2006   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think the score REALLY matters. If i see that the team can put up a solid drive, consitently, even if say our third string rookie QB throws an interception in the redzone...that still shows alot.

What I am really excited about is seeing how Richard Smith is running this defense. I think with the team we have now, we should be very aggressive...seems like thats the type of players we have.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole
I dont think the score REALLY matters. If i see that the team can put up a solid drive, consitently, even if say our third string rookie QB throws an interception in the redzone...that still shows alot.

What I am really excited about is seeing how Richard Smith is running this defense. I think with the team we have now, we should be very aggressive...seems like thats the type of players we have.
Hopefully he can get Babins fire burning. I'm counting on him to be a quality bookend to Mario.
Old 07-05-2006   #10
trane
Rookie

Quote:
I agree. However, the team should not be judged by the score of the game but rather if they were able to execute or make plays. There were times last year where they couldn't do that.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

According to some who seem to be in the know, we will be running a VERY agressive defense. I've seen it charicterized as "High risk, High reward". For me, that's what I would like. I really hated the passive defense of the last few years. Yes, we WILL get burned now and again, but we should also be putting the offense back on their heels and getting sacks. We will be trying to win rather than trying not to lose and I for one, am all for that.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #12
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
According to some who seem to be in the know, we will be running a VERY agressive defense. I've seen it charicterized as "High risk, High reward". For me, that's what I would like. I really hated the passive defense of the last few years. Yes, we WILL get burned now and again, but we should also be putting the offense back on their heels and getting sacks. We will be trying to win rather than trying not to lose and I for one, am all for that.
You have to make the offense pay for it if they want it.

I like the sound of an agressive defense.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed Edo. I can handle being south of .500 again, but please entertain me.
Old 07-06-2006   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed:
Everyone hated Glanville when he was here, but he got the very best out of the tallent he had. I'd rather loose 43-30 as to lose 13-10. Go for broke.
To the board, I would say I'm excited too. But I temoper that with the realzation that it's going to take these guys a while to get rolling. I hope we come out of the blocks 4-1. But I believe it is much more likely that we're going to get whooped a little the first five games. It's a great draft class. But I believe it's going to take a little time. On a positive note, I don't expect to see too many collapses like we had with St. Louis. Or the Green bay game a couple of years ago when we had a first and ten at the fifty and spit the bit. I think we're going to be very competitive this year. The games will be fun to watch.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #15
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

I'm just waiting for those depth charts.
Old 07-06-2006   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we will come out of the first 5 games with at least a win. One thing that we've noticed is that coaching wins games also and I believe Kubiak does a great job of playing chess games out there. Even though our team is learning a new offense we need to remember that these guys are now veterans and not just some dudes taken off the street like when we had our expansion year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006   #17
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

Quote:
The get out of jail cards are all used up!
Get to Winning, or get bent Texans!
Time to Win!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read