Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-04-2006   #1
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default Im so glad we picked Mario Williams!

In Light of all the ramblings of Carr skeptic/homer threads, Ithought I would try something different. Lets truly evaluate our options we had for the offseason/draft this year. im not gonna go into texans/Carr past history too much we all know it, they sucked. ok, Bush, Lienart, Young, Wiliams, Hawk, D'brick, personally I think these were the valid top picks in the draft we had to choose from.

Bush: would taking bush have stopped Carr from getting sacked? I dont think so, Ithink we allready have more than enough back in DD, and we have a pro bowl kick returner also, so dont think we needed to waste ALOT of salary cap
on Bush.

Lienart: decent drop back/pocket passer, but i think he would have got sacked more than Carr, he just would have run OOB less, and thrown more picks. So I think we do better without another learning curve QB project

Hawk: 1 helluva good LB, but we have a surplus of good LB's never been our problem.

Young: special player, biggest weakness is he is as unorthodox as they come with so many intangibles. throws 3/4 sidearm, most sidearm qb's have to alter their delivery in the pros because the trajectory leaves it open to deflection at the LOS. Young got around this in a unique way. Texas basicly designed their offense around him. he had to throw from the shotgun so he could be far enough from LOS to loop the passes over the defense. then if he dint have an open guy. each pass play became basicly a draw play with Young as the back. I dont think any NFL team is gonna alter there offense enough to make young effective. so he will most likely work on his delivery from the backup qb spot for at least 2 years. Iwish him luck. but I dont think he would have helped us enough to warrant #1 pick

D'Brick: physicaly gifted good technique for a colllege lineman, but rarely do offensive lineman warrant a #1 pick for maturity reasons.

enter Mario: fills one of our biggest needs as bonafide pass rusher, good size, speed, agilty, and durable . my top pick to help the team the most

I guess yer saying , "whats yer point" my point is since mario was our best choice for draft, and there were no viable options IE, major upgrades in free agency, like him or not we will have to play with David Carr one more year, so lets get on with it and quit arguing , Lets get some sacks , Win some games, and worry about who starts at QB next year, cuz this year its David carr and there wasnt a whole lot they could have done about it

GO TEXANS!

Last edited by TK_Gamer; 07-04-2006 at 07:22 PM.
TK_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 07-04-2006   #3
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 39634 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Count myself in this opinion as well.
Old 07-04-2006   #4
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer
Bush: would taking bush have stopped Carr from getting sacked? I dont think so, Ithink we allready have more than enough back in DD, and we have a pro bowl kick returner also, so dont think we needed to waste ALOT of salary cap
on Bush.

Young: special player, biggest weakness is he is as unorthodox as they come with so many intangibles. throws 3/4 sidearm, most sidearm qb's have to alter their delivery in the pros because the trajectory leaves it open to deflection at the LOS. Young got around this in a unique way. Texas basicly designed their offense around him. he had to throw from the shotgun so he could be far enough from LOS to loop the passes over the defense. then if he dint have an open guy. each pass play became basicly a draw play with Young as the back. I dont think any NFL team is gonna alter there offense enough to make young effective. so he will most likely work on his delivery from the backup qb spot for at least 2 years. Iwish him luck. but I dont think he would have helped us enough to warrant #1 pick

I agree with you perfectly here.

The problem I have with everyone saying Bush would reduce sacks is that they don't have proof. Will he spread the defense by motioning him into the slot? Yes. But good defenses won't worry about him as much as everyone says. I call this the "Michael Vick" syndrome. If you're not experienced with playing against Vick and knowing how he does things, you're going to worry so much that you'll over- or underdo you assignments so that you won't be caught off-guard. Yet if you look at the Panthers and Bucs who play him twice a year...they have a proven method for stopping him. He just doesn't have much success against those defenses. I think the first few games of the year that he plays teams will be worried, but then they'll ease off as the season goes on and they realize he's just a mortal.

The problem I have with Young coming here is that he doesn't provide anything Carr doesn't. Yes he has legs...but Carr's been in the top 5 for QB rushers the past 3 years, he's in pretty good company. Likewise, developing him would have taken a while as well, and I wouldn't have all been surprised if 4 years down the line we had people saying "See, I told you he'd be a bust like Carr" and "He just needs a chance to shine, like Carr deserved". I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #5
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO i think you guys should have taken Bush. Yes, i know RB wasn't a need, and you guys already have DD. But, Bush is a very rare player, who you could probably line up to do many different things. I also think if you guys decided not to take Bush, to maybe trade down a little to take Ferguson. Williams is still an amazing prospect though. I'm just totally happy SF picked up Davis/Lawson!!!!
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #6
B.Diddy
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to B.Diddy

I disagree with you 49er i feel we took the best player even though i was one of the V. Young Homers (how could you not be the guys a winner) .Mario Williams was the best player to take and to realize why you have to look no farther than our divisonal bully the COLTS. Even if we had Reggie Bush we would not out score the high Powered colts, looking at two of their loses last season the only way they were beaten was the pass rush (shaun Meriman, Jerry Porter ect) without pressure payton manning will eat you up.
My second reason is we are useing the bronco offense and we all know just about any running back will thrive in that system.
Old 07-05-2006   #7
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Diddy
I disagree with you 49er i feel we took the best player even though i was one of the V. Young Homers (how could you not be the guys a winner) .Mario Williams was the best player to take and to realize why you have to look no farther than our divisonal bully the COLTS. Even if we had Reggie Bush we would not out score the high Powered colts, looking at two of their loses last season the only way they were beaten was the pass rush (shaun Meriman, Jerry Porter ect) without pressure payton manning will eat you up.
My second reason is we are useing the bronco offense and we all know just about any running back will thrive in that system.
That is a good point you bring up about getting a pass rush to beat Indy, as it is also one of the keys to winning most games. But i still feel that you guys should have taken Bush because he is a player that you can do so many things creative with. Also, i believe the pass rush could be addressed by the Texans later in the draft with someone like Hali or Kiwanuka(if you traded up a little bit that is) even though Williams will probably be a better player.
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2006   #8
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF49erFaithful
That is a good point you bring up about getting a pass rush to beat Indy, as it is also one of the keys to winning most games. But i still feel that you guys should have taken Bush because he is a player that you can do so many things creative with. Also, i believe the pass rush could be addressed by the Texans later in the draft with someone like Hali or Kiwanuka(if you traded up a little bit that is) even though Williams will probably be a better player.
The Texans actually tried more than once to trade down and never had any takers. They were also considering moving up into the 1st round again(so I have heard and been told) but, it was for the possibility to take Deangelo Williams supposedly. The biggest reason why they didn't move up is that they did not want to give up any picks. IMO. Plus our 2nd and 3rd rounders were great.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Has Reggie Bush signed yet? this was the sticking point that swung the Texans over to Mario in the first place. concerning any trades once signed what incentive would there have been to trade him? things all happen for a reason, all these top draftees should become great NFL players for their respective teams, maybe Bush can help rebuild New Orleans- that would be a great thing. If Mario Williams becomes a proto-typical DE like Bruce Smith I'll take it

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
Has Reggie Bush signed yet? this was the sticking point that swung the Texans over to Mario in the first place.
Yea, this is my belief to. I think there's a good chance that McNair & the
Texans got their feathers ruffled because Bush was not very responsive about
the questions surrounding the free rental house his family had. They may have even felt the Bush lied thru his teeth about the controversy when they questioned him. Right up to that, he was probably their guy.
It remains to be seen if the Texans or Bush made the biggest mistake in how
they handled things and the decisions they made right before and on Draft Day.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #11
Frills
Veteran

Simple.

Without help on D, Bush wouldn't see the field.

An offense with 11 top picks is negated by a 15:00 differential in ToP
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Yea, this is my belief to. I think there's a good chance that McNair & the
Texans got their feathers ruffled because Bush was not very responsive about
the questions surrounding the free rental house his family had. They may have even felt the Bush lied thru his teeth about the controversy when they questioned him. Right up to that, he was probably their guy.
It remains to be seen if the Texans or Bush made the biggest mistake in how
they handled things and the decisions they made right before and on Draft Day.
Add to that that Lloyd Lakes, a known gangster, is the one that funded all of the money that flowed to RB and family, and I would have been very surprised if McNair would have come anywhere around that type of situation.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
Simple.

Without help on D, Bush wouldn't see the field.

An offense with 11 top picks is negated by a 15:00 differential in ToP
I was a Bush beleiver myself before the draft. Now that we've drafted Mario I'm kind of looking for ward to this season even more. Although I think some of us might be setting ourselves up for some disappointment. I want him to succeed just as much as anyone else but just remember he's a rookie. I'll be expecting some mistakes from him, but in the end let's hope he comes out on top. The fact that he's a mammoth, a very quick one at that, is in his favor.

Old 07-05-2006   #14
trane
Rookie

Default Almost Changed My Mind

on Bush.

Hawk: 1 helluva good LB, but we have a surplus of good LB's never been our problem.

D'Brick: physicaly gifted good technique for a colllege lineman, but rarely do offensive lineman warrant a #1 pick for maturity reasons.

enter Mario: fills one of our biggest needs as bonafide pass rusher, good size, speed, agilty, and durable . my top pick to help the team the most

GO TEXANS![/quote]

Your thread almost changed my mind. Although I have come to agree with the Mario pick, I disagree with your thoughts on the players we passed on.

Bush: I think Bush would have helped the offense tremendously with his speed and versatility. Although we need a pass rush, we also could not put points on the board. The only knocks I had on Bush is that I think he will be injury prone and his contract demands would have been over the top.

Hawk: He would have ultimately had more of an impact on the defense than Mario. Plus he has more leadership ability than Mario. Mario seems to be too laidback. There was a surplus of LB's but a shortage of "good" ones. The good news is that Demeco Ryans will provide the same spark that Hawk would have.

Young: He will be a superstar in this league. He does have flaws but with the right coaching and his work ethic...those flaws will be quickly diminished. What still doesn't make sense to me is that if the Kube's offensive scheme calls for the QB to scramble. why pass on one of the best scramblers of all time. I guess this speaks to Carr's potential rather than Vince's faults.

D-Brick: Would not have been a bad pick if we could have made a trade with the Jets.

Overall, I think Mario is probably the safest pick and he should be a good player. However, when this draft is evaluated years down the road, Bush, Young, and Hawk will have proven to be the better picks.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
Has Reggie Bush signed yet? this was the sticking point that swung the Texans over to Mario in the first place. concerning any trades once signed what incentive would there have been to trade him? things all happen for a reason, all these top draftees should become great NFL players for their respective teams, maybe Bush can help rebuild New Orleans- that would be a great thing. If Mario Williams becomes a proto-typical DE like Bruce Smith I'll take it
Signability did not alter their decision to take Mario, they've said that numerous times and I've heard rumors that they had a deal just about worked out with Reggie but decided they wanted Mario more, and Reggie said in an interview right after the draft last he knew the Texans were going to take him and negotiations were going well, then they changed their minds.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #16
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000
The Texans actually tried more than once to trade down and never had any takers. They were also considering moving up into the 1st round again(so I have heard and been told) but, it was for the possibility to take Deangelo Williams supposedly. The biggest reason why they didn't move up is that they did not want to give up any picks. IMO. Plus our 2nd and 3rd rounders were great.
If it is true they tried trading down from the #1 overall pick, they were probably asking for a ridiculous amount (Probably along the lines of what NO were asking for when Bush fell to them) BTW, is it just me or is this the most talented draft class you guys have ever seen?
Old 07-05-2006   #17
B.Diddy
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to B.Diddy

I agree in three to four years this draft class will run the league
Old 07-05-2006   #18
trane
Rookie

BTW, is it just me or is this the most talented draft class you guys have ever seen?[/quote]

I think it will be. What makes it interesting is that it is a class not heavy on a particular position like the years when a lot of good QB's come out. There is a lot of talent at different positions much like the draft of '89 (Aikman, Barry and Deion Sanders, and Derrick Thomas...Mandrich was the bust). I think Mario,Bush,Vince, D Brick,Hawk, and Vernon Davis will all be Pro Bowlers....at the very least.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not sure if its the best draft class ever, yet again that is a hard statement to give any draft class. We would have to wait 10 years to give an accurate answer for that.

I do agree that there were alot of very talented prospects this year, more than I have seen in the last 5 years.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #20
AFD1717
Veteran

What may make this turn out to be a truly great draft class is that we have a different system than most other teams in the nfl. While other teams compete for players that fit their systems, guys who fit ours slip through the cracks. Mario, D-Wreck, and the linemen should all be good (or great) pros, but it will be guys like Daniels and Lundy that put this class over the top.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read