Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who will have the most sacks this season?
Antwan Peek 7 6.03%
Mario Williams 75 64.66%
ND Kalu 2 1.72%
Jason Babin 21 18.10%
Shante Orr 5 4.31%
Morlon Greenwood 2 1.72%
Demecco Ryans 3 2.59%
Seth Payne 0 0%
Sam Cowart 0 0%
Robaire Smith 1 0.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2006   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Sack Producers

I thought it would be an interesting debate to see who you think will have the most sacks this season with going to the 4-3 defense.

Vote responsibly.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Antwaan Peek
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Jason Babin
Old 07-03-2006   #4
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Why???

Why wasn't David Carr on the list?

He is in every other thread!! (Whoops... he's in this one now!)

My prediction:
Until Mario get's used to double and triple teaming, Peek-A-Boom could easily grab the sack lead early on with his non-stop motor, and have several on his heels by the end of the season.

I also predict the Defense is really gonna be fun to watch this year.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #5
Texans86
All Pro

The great Babino
Old 07-03-2006   #6
AFD1717
Veteran

If it isn't Mario by a long shot, we're going to be forced to listen to the "Bet they wish they had that pick back" talk all season long. Maybe for the next 10 years.
Old 07-03-2006   #7
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default It's a team sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
If it isn't Mario by a long shot, we're going to be forced to listen to the "Bet they wish they had that pick back" talk all season long. Maybe for the next 10 years.
Well, if Mario ties up several defenders so that the overall production of the D-Line increases they can say that all they want. Like I put in another thread, think Reggie or VY will take their teams to the Super Bowl this year?.

There was some great talent in the draft this year and I think in retrospect (like many others) that Mario was the best fit for what we needed for the team.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Texan

Mother.......... fu.....

stole my darn line.

In that case, I'm voting for TJ......
Old 07-04-2006   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Mario leading the team in sacks this season, he learned how to get through cut blocks, he has speed and power, and he's playing alongside Payne, who is used to taking up two blockers, and Weaver, who should be like another DE next to Mario. Late in the season, when I expect teams to double or triple team Mario, TJ or Weaver may get plenty of sacks or QB pressures.

Nice to finally see the Bull Pen though, instead of just the David Carr section...but I bet this somehow turns into a Carr thread though...like how he caused around 38 sacks last year.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #10
AggieTexanFan
Rookie

as more attention shifts to Williams, Ryans will fly in and blind side the hell outta the QBs all season long
AggieTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #11
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

you dont have weaver on the list, id say weaver or babin
idont think teams are gonna give mario alot of angles he'll have a tough time but ryans could also get his chances depends on how often we use 2-3-6 and nickel sets
Old 07-04-2006   #12
HOOK'EM
Veteran

Super Mario, the first in Texans history with double digit sacks!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it will be Babin . He's returning to his natural position and will likely start opposite Mario , probably wont see a lot of double teams with Mario on the other side .

Obviously Mario Williams is going to see a lot of double teams which will limit his overall numbers but create opportunity for other's to make plays one on one.

I dont think Peek is going to see the field enough to lead the team in sacks . I expect him to be a backup behind Babin at DE and Ryans / Greenwood at LB .

I do expect Payne to have a much better season than any he's had (Stat Wise) simply because he will be attacking instead of just trying to tie up blockers , but I dont see him leading the team in sacks from the DT position .
Travis Johnson ..... He's probably a back-up at best with the quality of D-Linemen the Texans have this year . Is he a DT or DE ? .... I wonder if he knows the answer ? I suspect he will see time at both positions .

Morlon Greenwood and Demecco Ryans will likely be the starters at the OLB's . They could both put up good numbers considering their speed .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

If either Babin or Peek get the majority of the playing time including 3rd down
and other passing situations, I gotta cast my vote with that guy, whichever
one it might be.
The weakside DE in the 4-3 has the natural advantage to be the leader in
this stat over the strongside guy, and since Mario will be a 21 year old NFL rookie, its gonna take some time for him to negotiate the transition from
college ball and all that goes with it.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #15
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Shoot Mario.....................He better right Reggie.

JK NO doubt he will lead our team with sacks..............Consider te NFL Rookie Sack record to go to Mario.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with Mario, but felt awfullly compelled to hit Babin. Whoever is opposite Mario should be able to put up some numbers.
Old 07-04-2006   #17
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Well, if Mario ties up several defenders so that the overall production of the D-Line increases they can say that all they want. Like I put in another thread, think Reggie or VY will take their teams to the Super Bowl this year?.

There was some great talent in the draft this year and I think in retrospect (like many others) that Mario was the best fit for what we needed for the team.
I'm not a Mario hater, but tying up several blockers won't get him on Sportscenter. Mario could dominate an entire game by forcing the offense to account for him on every play, but if he doesn't get a sack in that game and Bush gets 27 yards on 12 carries but happens to return a punt for a TD - the trolls will be out. Not that I really care, I'm just making an observation.
Old 07-04-2006   #18
real

No doubt it will be J.Bab
Old 07-04-2006   #19
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
No doubt it will be J.Bab
NO doubt.........Wow.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:

My prediction:
Until Mario get's used to double and triple teaming, Peek-A-Boom could easily grab the sack lead early on with his non-stop motor, and have several on his heels by the end of the season.

I also predict the Defense is really gonna be fun to watch this year.
I think it is the opposite, until other teams learn that they have to double and triple team Mario he is going to tear them up, then once they start really focusing on him it will open things up for Peek/Babin, whoever is playing the majority of the time on the weakside. Orr should also get a decent amount of sacks from the SLB position. I think Mario will definitely lead our DLine in tackles and probably in sacks, if he draws a ton of attention and if they decide to play him inside at DT frequently on passing situations then Peek or Babin could end up leading the team, depending on who gets more playing time between the two. I'm not at all convinced Babin will be on the field more than Peek, and I still see Peek as the better pressure rusher between the two that will get more sacks relative to the number of plays he's on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Shoot Mario.....................He better right Reggie.

JK NO doubt he will lead our team with sacks..............Consider te NFL Rookie Sack record to go to Mario.
I can definitely see him setting the rookie sack record.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 07-04-2006 at 11:00 AM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read