Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-03-2006   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default MLB position!!!

I saw on KFFL.com that Megan Manfull is reporting that Cowart will push Rainer for the starting job but Demeco Ryans could get in some of that action. Wouldn't it just be awesome if our rookie LB is able to start?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I saw on KFFL.com that Megan Manfull is reporting that Cowart will push Rainer for the starting job but Demeco Ryans could get in some of that action. Wouldn't it just be awesome if our rookie LB is able to start?
I think it'd be excellent! I think he's going to be a force to reckon with for years to come. If he were to start this year don't you think it'd be an outside LB? I would think one of the vets would start as MLB and Demeco would eventually win the spot later on.
Old 07-03-2006   #3
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Ryans is the real deal, he should win a starting spot by the end of training camp, either on the weak side or in the middle.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think you'll see sam cowart start the season but i think we'll see plenty of ryans on the field...i do not believe cowart, rainer, or even greenwood will be able to keep him off the field the majority of the season
Old 07-03-2006   #5
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Cool Playing with the Big Boys now

I am very excited with Ryans potential (as well as a couple of the other rookies) and think in the coming years he will make a HUGE impact on the Defense.

... However...

I would hate to see him or any rookie pushed in over his head the first year. This is a whole new caliber of players he is facing as opposed to college, and I really don't want him to have a mental meltdown because he doesn't do as well out of the starting gates as he did in college. Give him time to get used to the pro's. Play him when possible (special teams and games we can stand an occasional rookie mistake) but don't start him at the beginning of this year, till he has a chance to learn how the Big Boys play. We have a lot of depth at LB so let's take advantage of it. I would hope we could ease all of the rookies that will end up starters into their spots by the end of the season, but I bet with Mario he will be starting DE from day 1. Then again, he is probably exceptional enough to handle it.

Experience is the best teacher, let's just give it to the rookies in doses they can handle!
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #6
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

By the "real deal" I mean to play at a level comparable to Jonathan Vilma his rookie season. If Ryans is at this level, he should be starting game 1.
Old 07-03-2006   #7
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
I think it'd be excellent! I think he's going to be a force to reckon with for years to come. If he were to start this year don't you think it'd be an outside LB? I would think one of the vets would start as MLB and Demeco would eventually win the spot later on.
I'm expecting our LBs to be Ryans on the strong side, Cowart in the middle, and Greenwood on the weakside on first and second down. On third down, I expect Ryans to move to the middle and Orr come in on the strong side. Wong will shake things up if he's able to play, but we'll know more about everybody's roles by then.
Old 07-03-2006   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
I'm expecting our LBs to be Ryans on the strong side, Cowart in the middle, and Greenwood on the weakside on first and second down. On third down, I expect Ryans to move to the middle and Orr come in on the strong side. Wong will shake things up if he's able to play, but we'll know more about everybody's roles by then.
That sounds pretty sweet to me!
You know there's some that are weary of our LB's, but to tell ya the truth I kind of like the way it looks right now. The only ones I question are Cowart (because I do not know much about him)and Wong (due to injury and strength).
Old 07-03-2006   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
Greenway, Cowart, Anderson will be our starting LB's opening day. If their not, Pilly will run us out of Reliant stadium. And a winable game will go down the tubes. No Rookie is going to cover Westbrook. I don't care who he is. AND...further...you better have a SSLB with some lead in is pocket to jam and slow down the Pilly TE's at the line of scrimage or...it's going to be embarassing.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #10
Frills
Veteran

http://www.footballguys.com/06faceoff-CowaSa99.php

good info
Frills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
Greenway, Cowart, Anderson will be our starting LB's opening day. If their not, Pilly will run us out of Reliant stadium. And a winable game will go down the tubes. No Rookie is going to cover Westbrook. I don't care who he is. AND...further...you better have a SSLB with some lead in is pocket to jam and slow down the Pilly TE's at the line of scrimage or...it's going to be embarassing.
Greenwood= Average LB, overpaid and Overrated. IMO
Cowart= Injury prone but has something to prove. I agree with this one.
Anderson= Are you kidding? Where did this come from? Did I miss something?
Old 07-03-2006   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frills
Thanks, it actually looks like Cowart needs to prove something.
Old 07-03-2006   #13
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Greenwood is pretty good in coverage (despite being a little overrated) and will do most of the work on Westbrook. The fact that their WRs are terrible will mean that we can put a safety on him much of the time too. As far as our SSLB having "lead in his pocket" I think D-Wreck can bring it just fine. I'm not worried about him.
Old 07-03-2006   #14
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I'm not going to underestimate Rainier. He seemed to not even have much of a chance before and all of a sudden he's leading the battle at the MLB position.
Old 07-03-2006   #15
DRAMA
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAMA

Quote:

Yeah? But then....oh forget it....:brickwall
DRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #16
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default there was a quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
I'm not going to underestimate Rainier. He seemed to not even have much of a chance before and all of a sudden he's leading the battle at the MLB position.
I don't know if anybody remembers the quote, back before the draft when the new coaching staff was watching tape on the current players, and one of the coaches said their MLB was not on the roster yet. It really seems like Rainer and Cowart are the two biggest canidates to play MLB. Yeah with Cowart being a little knicked up I am sure others will fill in Polk, Evans or whoever.

It really seems like the strong side will be one of the former 3-4 OLBs Orr, Anderson and maybe Pettway. And of course Wong when he comes back.

It really seems like the weakside needs quickness. Although Ryans might be a MLB down the road. I am sure they do not want to overwhelm him. Since Greenwood is over paid and over rated, I really seem him being here only this year, kinda like a stop gap for Ryans to develop.
Old 07-04-2006   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i assume you're his father..yes?? also id guess you dont watch many eagles games...westbrook is a poor mans LT in that hes nowhere near as good of a rusher but has good hands and receiving skills..he wont run all over us at all
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006   #18
BlueThunder
Veteran

I can't really figure out any of the LBer moves..Exspecially the Wali Rainer move.I would expect Greenwood to be somewhere in the lineup along with maybe Cowart starting at MLB and maybe Peek on the WS..Something like this
....................................QB...RB
...WR ...SWR....TE,,X,,,X,,,C,,,X,,,,X...............WR
.....CB................DE DT,,,, DT,,,,,,DE.............CB
........................JB,,,SP,,,,,TJ,,,,,,,MW
............SS...SSLB,,,,,,,,MLB,,,WSLB ,,,,,,,,,,FS
.............?....M.G,,,,,,,,,,SC,,,,,,AP

Thats what I would think starting out because Greenwood has played SSLB and Coward has played MLB but who knows who will earn the spots till we get on the field.I know TJ should be rotated off the bench.The rookie should get a little time,,heck,,they didn't get the LBers or any players I was targeting...The'll figure it out and we will have a good team when we start adjusting and fixing things...It may not be the best we will do but will compete and get better as players learn there assignments ..Peek can play anywhere,,he has that kind of talent,the question is he's never done it..

This year is a free year for the young coaches but that don't mean we don't want to win..Were just going to have to let them feel what its like to be 1 and 15..I hope we don';t have to go there but sometimes its the best thing..I know the lord is going to be with us all and were going to have fun ,,,2 wins and were better 9 wins and I think the staff went above expectation of the average football man...I still want a playoff!

We are laying the foundation for the future this year..I think a 15 rank on defense is ok,,because we just didn't know what we have but we will come draft day 2007!

Greenwood may be over rated by some but by others he could be the minute man off the bench because he has played every position in the 43 and is a 100 tackle + guy..Heck the guy never can get settled in because he's always being moved every year..

Last edited by BlueThunder; 07-04-2006 at 11:00 PM.
BlueThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006   #19
Number19
All Pro

I haven't a clue as to how many LB's will be carried this next season, one or two may make the team basically for their special teams play, but here is how I see these positional battles shaping up going into training camp:

Greenwood and Ryans as the weak side LB's;
Cowart and Rainer in the middle;
and with Anderson battling Polk on the strong side.

Pettway may figure in the equation on the strongside, but will probabably not make the starting roster. Orr may be there somewhere and has the best chance of being the seventh LB. Ryans will be taking snaps also in the middle and Wong will be starting the season on the PUP list.

I do think that even as a rookie, Ryans will prove to be our best LB coming out of training camp, and how do you not start your best player? I think we may see Greenwood, Ryans and Polk starting on opening day.

Evans, Pierce and Green will be training camp fodder. Fred Brock will be on the practice squad.

To backtrack a little, Orr came out of Michigan as a DE and has excellant pass rush abilities. But as an every down LB, he may be too limited in his skill level, being limited to a third down, blitz specialist.

Negative comments, going into the '03 draft, was that Orr was vulnerable at the point of attack in run support, lacked change-of-direction skills and was weak in over-all awareness. He has never been projected as more than a 3rd down specialist; whereas Charlie Anderson, coming out of Mississippi as a DE, had the skills to be projected to OLB at the pro level. His progress will be interesting since he carries a label of having promising upside.
Old 07-05-2006   #20
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder
I can't really figure out any of the LBer moves..Exspecially the Wali Rainer move.I would expect Greenwood to be somewhere in the lineup along with maybe Cowart starting at MLB and maybe Peek on the WS..Something like this
....................................QB...RB
...WR ...SWR....TE,,X,,,X,,,C,,,X,,,,X...............WR
.....CB................DE DT,,,, DT,,,,,,DE.............CB
........................JB,,,SP,,,,,TJ,,,,,,,MW
............SS...SSLB,,,,,,,,MLB,,,WSLB ,,,,,,,,,,FS
.............?....M.G,,,,,,,,,,SC,,,,,,AP

Thats what I would think starting out because Greenwood has played SSLB and Coward has played MLB but who knows who will earn the spots till we get on the field.I know TJ should be rotated off the bench.The rookie should get a little time,,heck,,they didn't get the LBers or any players I was targeting...The'll figure it out and we will have a good team when we start adjusting and fixing things...It may not be the best we will do but will compete and get better as players learn there assignments ..Peek can play anywhere,,he has that kind of talent,the question is he's never done it..

This year is a free year for the young coaches but that don't mean we don't want to win..Were just going to have to let them feel what its like to be 1 and 15..I hope we don';t have to go there but sometimes its the best thing..I know the lord is going to be with us all and were going to have fun ,,,2 wins and were better 9 wins and I think the staff went above expectation of the average football man...I still want a playoff!

We are laying the foundation for the future this year..I think a 15 rank on defense is ok,,because we just didn't know what we have but we will come draft day 2007!

Greenwood may be over rated by some but by others he could be the minute man off the bench because he has played every position in the 43 and is a 100 tackle + guy..Heck the guy never can get settled in because he's always being moved every year..
You have Mario on the wrong side. And I hate to break it to you but right now I think that there is little chance that TJ will beat out Anthony Weaver for the 3 gap DT spot.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read