Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-02-2006   #1
johnny_tlmn

Post New DB?!

The Texans made a mistake passing on Bing and Lowry (DB's) in the draft and taking a 6'3'' Owen Daniels (TE) in the fourth round. Don't forget they passed up Ko Simpson on that pick too, I thought he would've been the obvious choice. Everyone knows our DB's were probably the weakest part of our team last year. There was a lot said about Buchanon and his lack of ability. Even by his teamate and fellow CB Robinson. But in reality Buchanon was Robinson's best friend last year. If it hadn't been for Buchanon's phantom tackling and being the lightning rod for the Texans backfield someone might have noticed Robinson's fall from grace.

Robinson went from a steller rookie year to 1 interception and 1 sack last year. Now I know thats mainly because they were too scared to throw the ball his way though.

Instead of getting DB depth we took an undersized TE where we actually have a little bit of depth. The Texans coaching staff has an entirely different opinion of their secondary. Let's hope they're right..... odds are, that is the case.
Old 07-02-2006   #2
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Crumpler 6'2
Cooley 6'3
McMichael 6'3
LJ Smith 6'3
Pollard 6'3

I could go on and on...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006   #3
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_tlmn
Dude, but you're not getting the point here. Read the post again, its not about the size of the TE's its the fact that we could have drafted a quality DB, instead we picked up another TE. I just don't get it.
yeah i too was confuse as to why we didn't get bing or simpson, but im trusting KB when he said that the DB were the strength of this team......
Old 07-02-2006   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Kubiak likes our DBs.
Old 07-02-2006   #5
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude, but you're not getting the point here. Read the post again, its not about the size of the TE's its the fact that we could have drafted a quality DB, instead we picked up another TE. I just don't get it.

The scouts, GM and Kubiak had all night to study who was left on the board when they made this pick.

I don't know at what point Bing and Lowry were selected, were they the very next picks, or did they hang around on the board awhile longer?

As far as selecting a TE I would have preferred A Fasano from my Irish..but we couldn't justify taking him as early as he went....

Hated it that the boys got Fasano this year and Julius Jones last year. My Irish loyalties definitely end at the Dallas/Arlington city limits.

Anyplace else would have been acceptable...

Old 07-02-2006   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

We liked our DBs as they were.. and we though Daniels would be a good addition.

Dunno what else to tell you. Just remember that we dont know everything going on behind the curtains. All i can tell you for sure is that our front office didnt forget that Bing, Lowry, and Simpson were on the board.. we passed on them for a reason.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006   #7
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

All cornerbacks are going to look bad when you have no pass rush whatsoever and Vic Fangio running the defense.

I'm sure the 4-3 will bring things back to normal.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2006   #8
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
The Texans made a mistake passing on Bing and Lowry (DB's) in the draft and taking a 6'3'' Owen Daniels (TE) in the fourth round. Don't forget they passed up Ko Simpson on that pick too, I thought he would've been the obvious choice. Everyone knows our DB's were probably the weakest part of our team last year. There was a lot said about Buchanon and his lack of ability. Even by his teamate and fellow CB Robinson. But in reality Buchanon was Robinson's best friend last year. If it hadn't been for Buchanon's phantom tackling and being the lightning rod for the Texans backfield someone might have noticed Robinson's fall from grace.

Robinson went from a steller rookie year to 1 interception and 1 sack last year. Now I know thats mainly because they were too scared to throw the ball his way though.

Instead of getting DB depth we took an undersized TE where we actually have a little bit of depth. The Texans coaching staff has an entirely different opinion of their secondary. Let's hope they're right..... odds are, that is the case.

and dont forget that it helped robinson that A.G was on the other side, and that year we had an awesome DB core. Of course his numbers will go down when, we cant get to the QB and P.B cant stop nobody. BUT D-Rob is still a dangerious CB, and i expect him to have a much better season this year.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll just have to trust our coaches judgement on this one until they give me a reason not too...IMO everyone gets a clean slate this season...
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted them to take KO Simpson badly, and it's still what I would've done, but let's wait and see what they can get out of Buchannon before we make a final decision. After all, we all know that our previous coaching staff was underachieving.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Please remember that Daniels was selected because we also had a TE for three years that never saw the field and we didn't know what his status would be like now.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #12
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
It apparently is about the size of the TE or you wouldn't have mentioned it. I bet if he was 6'5+ you wouldn't have had a problem, right?
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #13
Spoda
Veteran

i wanted bing with that pick as well...but only because our safeties are unproven...not because of our corners...i blame running a soft 3-4 zone with no pass rush on the bad corner play
Old 07-03-2006   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The knock against KO Simpson is his lack of intelligence and game instincts. I think that is why we passed on him.
Old 07-03-2006   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't DB one of the toughest positions to learn/play in the NFL? IMO, aquiring Db's via free agency would be the way to go. It's not everyday you can get a D-Rob type player in the late rounds of the draft. I would think you'd want to get a proven DB that has had experience in the NFL.
Old 07-03-2006   #16
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Isn't DB one of the toughest positions to learn/play in the NFL? IMO, aquiring Db's via free agency would be the way to go. It's not everyday you can get a D-Rob type player in the late rounds of the draft. I would think you'd want to get a proven DB that has had experience in the NFL.
why cant we let one of our own draftpicks gain experience and groom them to be a solid starter? i would much rather make a star out of someone we drafted...
Old 07-03-2006   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730
why cant we let one of our own draftpicks gain experience and groom them to be a solid starter? i would much rather make a star out of someone we drafted...
That would definetly be the way to go if we were to draft a DB in the later rounds. For instant improvement FA would be the way to go.
Old 07-03-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Since we have a young secondary and have showed no consistency, we have to address it in next year's draft if we do not see any production from them this year. As has been said before, getting pressure on the QB will help many of our problems on the defensive side of the ball.

We appear to be set at QB, WR, TE, DE, DT and OL. I feel that we still have question marks at CB, SS, FS, LB's and RB.
Old 07-03-2006   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Since we have a young secondary and have showed no consistency, we have to address it in next year's draft if we do not see any production from them this year. As has been said before, getting pressure on the QB will help many of our problems on the defensive side of the ball.

We appear to be set at QB, WR, TE, DE, DT and OL. I feel that we still have question marks at CB, SS, FS, LB's and RB.
My point is that drafting a DB usually consist of at least a year or two of grooming, correct? I don't think it's very likely to have a D-Rob fall in your lap in the draft unless you're drafting in the top 5 (that's given there's even a good DB in that years draft). I'm assuming we'll be about mid-pack in next years draft. So, in order to see improvement within that short of time frame it would be better to find a DB in FA.
Old 07-03-2006   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
My point is that drafting a DB usually consist of at least a year or two of grooming, correct? I don't think it's very likely to have a D-Rob fall in your lap in the draft unless you're drafting in the top 5 (that's given there's even a good DB in that years draft). I'm assuming we'll be about mid-pack in next years draft. So, in order to see improvement within that short of time frame it would be better to find a DB in FA.
We will most likely not be a player in FA due to our dead money next year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read