Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-02-2006   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What's With All These Arrests????

USA Today begs the question that many of us are asking. Add to their list Pats defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan arrested in Georgia on multiple charges and Titans rookie Cortland Finnegan for DUI........and the list goes on. Is this the image we want our kids "take for granted" goes with being a professional sports athlete. Justice in the criminal system which can go on forever should be much different that action by such a body as the NFL. So far, the NFL with their policies and CBA agreements certainly seem laxidasical. Swifter and more severe actions especially in cases that are cut and dry need to be instituted in order that the current trend ends.

Punishment is now unfashionable... because it creates moral distinctions among men, which, to the democratic mind, are odious. We prefer a meaningless collective guilt to a meaningful individual responsibility. ~Thomas Szasz
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006   #2
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

It might be a little bigger then the NFL. If you are a starter on a high school football team ( in most of Texas ), you get a lot of things handed to you.

That Jake Plummer line was funny.

Bryant McKinnie is looking for a new team... so I have heard. I wonder if Smith is working with him?
Old 07-02-2006   #3
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Just because they are in high profile positions and make obscene amounts of money doesn't make them smart. Most of them have degrees, but, how many of them are earned. I know that there are a few, but alot are given to them. Unfortunately, they feel that they are going to get hand slapped for their indescretions. And, ususally that's all that happens to them. Or the fine is such that they don't even notice it.
Old 07-02-2006   #4
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

All the above, plus the media hype to get the "next breaking story". The bad news will make the headlines before the good news.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The sky is falling.

I would imagine if your neighbors were covered like the professional players in the NFL you would probably be running for the hills.
Old 07-02-2006   #6
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I would imagine if your neighbors were covered like the professional players in the NFL you would probably be running for the hills.
What do you mean running?
Old 07-02-2006   #7
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

#1- I know they are grown ups now and nobody can tell them what to do, but I put this #1 on the shoulders of the Mom/Dad, Aunt, Uncle, Sister who ever, that raised this kid. A child gets its personality in the first 3 to 4 years, and who ever raises that kid really determends that. Kid draws on the wall......Do you smack his or her butt or do you say, "thats not nice".

#2- I put this bad behavior on the Coaches the kid had growing up, High School, College, Pros. As a coach I am preaching from day one what will happen if this happens or what the "Rules" of this team are. You have to teach these guys more then just football, you really have to teach these kids about life and its good times and its bad, and how to handle certain them when they come up, this is why my favorite cach of ALL time is Dick Vermiel, the guy cared and still cares about guys he coached in HS, still calls them.

You have to be more then a coach that yells and screams all the time, kids have to know they can trust you. I have over heard some coaches talking to kids about how much beer they had one night and how plastered they got and crap, what does that tell the kid........I try to lead by example.

#3- Has to be the player himself, if the guy just cant get it through his head that he can't countinualy get into trouble, maybe the guy has to learn the hard way sometimes, weather it be not starting, suspention, cut from the team, Jail time, community service or even doing someting stupid that gets someone killed.

"It takes a village to raise a child", whos fault, really anyone that is connected or had a Huge part in the kids up bringing.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2006   #8
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
#1- I know they are grown ups now and nobody can tell them what to do, but I put this #1 on the shoulders of the Mom/Dad, Aunt, Uncle, Sister who ever, that raised this kid. A child gets its personality in the first 3 to 4 years, and who ever raises that kid really determends that. Kid draws on the wall......Do you smack his or her butt or do you say, "thats not nice".

#2- I put this bad behavior on the Coaches the kid had growing up, High School, College, Pros. As a coach I am preaching from day one what will happen if this happens or what the "Rules" of this team are. You have to teach these guys more then just football, you really have to teach these kids about life and its good times and its bad, and how to handle certain them when they come up, this is why my favorite cach of ALL time is Dick Vermiel, the guy cared and still cares about guys he coached in HS, still calls them.

You have to be more then a coach that yells and screams all the time, kids have to know they can trust you. I have over heard some coaches talking to kids about how much beer they had one night and how plastered they got and crap, what does that tell the kid........I try to lead by example.

#3- Has to be the player himself, if the guy just cant get it through his head that he can't countinualy get into trouble, maybe the guy has to learn the hard way sometimes, weather it be not starting, suspention, cut from the team, Jail time, community service or even doing someting stupid that gets someone killed.

"It takes a village to raise a child", whos fault, really anyone that is connected or had a Huge part in the kids up bringing.
I can see that maybe there are other factors, but the player has to be the first person at fault. They made the decision to do whatever they did, and they have to accept full responsiblity for what they did. Sure they may have not been brought up the best but it's the players fault for his own actions. I see where your coming from, but how can you assess blame on the parents before the player.
Old 07-02-2006   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The sky is falling.

That may be..............but my kids aren't regularly watching my neighbors on TV either.....and the neighbors know it.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006   #10
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
I can see that maybe there are other factors, but the player has to be the first person at fault. They made the decision to do whatever they did, and they have to accept full responsiblity for what they did. Sure they may have not been brought up the best but it's the players fault for his own actions. I see where your coming from, but how can you assess blame on the parents before the player.
Which came first the chicken or the egg..........
Old 07-02-2006   #11
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Well its the offseason right now and theres nothing to do for them but they need to get their image together maybe have a program like the NBA's reading program were the players read to the kids.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006   #12
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Which came first the chicken or the egg..........
Who made the decision to do something illegal, the player or the parents...?
Old 07-03-2006   #13
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
All the above, plus the media hype to get the "next breaking story". The bad news will make the headlines before the good news.
You're absolutely right. You very seldom hear about the good things done by these guys.
Old 07-03-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72471 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

There are a lot of "good" people in professional sports. They don't get the press - too boring.

Check out Texan Chick's latest blog (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/) - we have some right here. Of course if you read the posts here, there are a few detractors who dispise (sic) some, think some are busts after a year or two, and dislike one because of his non-Reggie Bushedness.

Last edited by Runner; 07-03-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
There are a lot of "good" people in professional sports. They don't get the press - too boring.

Check out Texan Chick's latest blog (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/) - we have some right here. Of course if you read the posts here, there are a few detractors who dispise (sic) some, think some are busts after a year or two, and dislike one because of his non-Reggie Bushedness.
Yep. What is missed by most people is that we are the target market for this type of news whether it is sports, weather, world, US or local news. Bad news is sensational and it sells. Moreover, attach a brand name to it such as a professional player and it is even hotter.

We get so wrapped up in this, it is silly. We could care less about a CEO or a VP of a corporation who bilks his stockholders or employees, but give us a guy that has a disturbance with his significant other and we got ourselves an issue that must be talked about because you can build so much programming around it. It is hard to establish a brand name, but news services already have the brand created for them to give the story legs.
Old 07-03-2006   #16
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

There's a snitch in the NFL.
Old 07-03-2006   #17
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
Who made the decision to do something illegal, the player or the parents...?
The Player..........I think birth and being raised right or wrong came before what these guys did.
Old 07-03-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
The sky is falling.

Bingo.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read