Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-30-2006   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Los Angeles Saints????

Benson, prior to Katrina was looking for a way out..........he may now have an additional 12.5 million reasons....................

From Profootball Talk (6/30/06):

Lost in an AP report regarding the $15 million that the State of Louisiana will save by cutting subsidy payments to the NFL's New Orleans Saints and the NBA's New Orleans Hornets is that the reduction of the Saints' annual chunk of charity change from $15 million to $2.5 million constitutes a potential breach of the ten-year agreement signed in 2001 to keep owner Tom Benson from moving his football team.

The real story here is that, once the State of Louisiana puts the Saints officially on notice of the $12.5 million haircut, all hell could break loose.

But there's no mention of that possibility in the AP account, which reads, frankly, like an adroitly-crafted effort to win public support for the notion that Louisiana is doing nothing wrong by shorting the Saints and that, if the Saints balk, they'll look like insensitive a-holes.

Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports that the team has declined comment on whether it will accept the reduced payment. The AP version curiously mentions no effort of any kind to obtain a response from the team.

Though the folks who run the Superdome seem to think that the Saints can get the lost money from their business interruption insurance policy, our experience with insurance carriers is that they don't like to give money away unless they absolutely have to. (Even then, they still are inclined at times to try to find ways to avoid paying up.) In this case, if the insurance carrier concludes that the State of Louisiana owes the money to the team and that the reduced payment isn't justified by any fine print in the contract, there's no way that the insurance company will cough up a dime.

So then the question becomes whether the Saints will eat the $12.5 million loss, sue the State of Louisiana for the money, or declare a breach and move the team out of town.

That's the news item that the AP should be pimping. Even though the NFL has successfully managed to keep a muzzle (and perhaps a straitjacket) on Benson for most of calendar year 2006, getting stiffed on his money might be all that it takes to get him to affix a "For Sale" sign on the fleur-de-lis -- raking in a cool billion or so from an L.A. ownership group that would bring not only pro football back to L.A. but also, more importantly, Reggie Bush.

Here's the article that has generated the controversy
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #2
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I live in LA and really don't see how an NFL team is going to work if it is going to require an investment of a cool billion.

The weather is too nice, too much to do everyday all over the place, and where ever they put (Coliseum, Rose Bowl, or Anahiem) it is going to be horrible getting to and from the game. In my estimation most people will have to travel similar to how people from Austin travel to Houston for home games. It will be an all day affair.

I really don't see anyone getting that interested in it here in Hollywood.

LA is a big market and that doesn't mean people will buy it. Besides, whenever this team plays Oakland, it will basically be a neutral site or maybe worse.

One exception might be the Chargers since they are already in the Regional area. That might work.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #3
BSL63087
Rookie

I like the idea. LA needs a team and unfortunately the Saints are probably not going to do very well anymore in NO.
BSL63087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

They should move the Saints team/players to LA, and then LA should just steal the USC Trojans name/colors to the NFL.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
LA is a big market and that doesn't mean people will buy it.
You are failing to comprehend how bad the NFL wants a team in L.A., regardless if the people of L.A. want one or not.

If someone in L.A. had even a shred of a plan when the NFL was deciding on the 32nd franchise, Houston would have been out of luck. Fortunately, Mr. McNair had everything in place and infinite patience, and L.A. offered nothing. The NFL was forced to show it's hand and Houston won out in spite of it all.

It's a weird situation, and one that I still don't quite comprehend. But apparently market share is more important than hometown support, as far as the NFL is concerned.

As far as this story, I honestly think it's only a matter of time before the Saints move to L.A. Give it a couple of seasons, but NOLA simply won't be able to financially support an NFL team in this day and age.
Old 06-30-2006   #6
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
You are failing to comprehend how bad the NFL wants a team in L.A., regardless if the people of L.A. want one or not.

If someone in L.A. had even a shred of a plan when the NFL was deciding on the 32nd franchise, Houston would have been out of luck. Fortunately, Mr. McNair had everything in place and infinite patience, and L.A. offered nothing. The NFL was forced to show it's hand and Houston won out in spite of it all.

It's a weird situation, and one that I still don't quite comprehend. But apparently market share is more important than hometown support, as far as the NFL is concerned.

As far as this story, I honestly think it's only a matter of time before the Saints move to L.A. Give it a couple of seasons, but NOLA simply won't be able to financially support an NFL team in this day and age.
I do comprehend how bad they want it, they want it so badly they are not looking at the market place.

Totally correct on the Texans franchise. That was awesome. McNair had his act together, that is for sure.

I go to several sports bars in Hollywood on Sundays, and I don't get the feeling or hear anyone talking about how they want a team here. Everyone already has their team. I see a lot of Steelers, Bears, and Packers fans out in force. I am basically the only Texans fan in a huge sports bar/billards place. That Steelers game was embarrassing but they went easy on me.

This is my call, it isn't going to work unless they get really good, really fast. If they do their first 4 years like Texans, it will be ugly.

It's just been too long without an NFL team and no one really cares this except for some community leaders and business people, zero fan base for this. Example, no one brings up the point about the lost franchise to Houston, it isn't even discussed as a possible regret. No one cares.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

That city has far more trouble then the Saints playing football. They are trying to build in a sinking swamp. If I was the NFL, I would give L.A. a new team with the Saints' slot. Promise New Orleans the 33rd and LA their 2nd, the 34th.
Old 06-30-2006   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Many of you may not have caught USA Today's report back in May, where Gov. Schwarzenegger met with the NFL insisting that TWO teams should be appropriated to L.A.............one in Anaheim and another in L.A. proper. I guess this would make it more appealing.........like having two big L.A. rival street gangs............and can you imagine what it would be like when the Raider's gang entered the city?
Old 06-30-2006   #9
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL does not need a 33rd or 34th team. 32 is the right amount of teams. LA does not need a team. Either let the Saints stay in New Orleans are find another city that could support them.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do comprehend how bad they want it, they want it so badly they are not looking at the market place.

Totally correct on the Texans franchise. That was awesome. McNair had his act together, that is for sure.

I go to several sports bars in Hollywood on Sundays, and I don't get the feeling or hear anyone talking about how they want a team here. Everyone already has their team. I see a lot of Steelers, Bears, and Packers fans out in force. I am basically the only Texans fan in a huge sports bar/billards place. That Steelers game was embarrassing but they went easy on me.

This is my call, it isn't going to work unless they get really good, really fast. If they do their first 4 years like Texans, it will be ugly.

It's just been too long without an NFL team and no one really cares this except for some community leaders and business people, zero fan base for this. Example, no one brings up the point about the lost franchise to Houston, it isn't even discussed as a possible regret. No one cares.
yep, good take. (Didn't mean to infer that you did not comprehend it. It was a bit of sarcasm on my part about the NFL's position on this. Sorry about that.)

Good point about the fate of a team if they struggle. Which is why now would be the best time to move the Saints, because Reggie is still young. He'd sell some seats just because of the USC connection.

What is L.A. going to do about a stadium, though?
Old 06-30-2006   #11
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
What is L.A. going to do about a stadium, though?
USC.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...ines-frontpage
Old 06-30-2006   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
That Steelers game was embarrassing but they went easy on me.
It cannot be any worse that losing 24-6 at home despite holding the opposition to 47 yards.
Old 06-30-2006   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
For those who could not enter the link above, here is another direct linkhttp://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 06-30-2006   #14
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Ahh dammit the LATIMES....

let me look for something... that yahoo story is missing a critical piece of information.

Quote:
Because very few major football schools play their home games in off-campus public stadiums, and fewer are private institutions as prominent and wealthy as USC, analogous arrangements elsewhere in the country are difficult to find.

A Times comparison found USC's lease is more generous to the school than UCLA's lease at the Rose Bowl or the University of Miami's at the Orange Bowl.

Last year, UCLA's home attendance at the Pasadena stadium averaged 64,217 and the school paid 8% of gross ticket sales. The lease fee is not subject to a cap. UCLA also pays 8% of all television revenue, turns over 40% to 60% of game-day advertising revenue and pays for its own ushers and ticket-takers.

Miami pays 10% of gross ticket sales, with no cap. The university keeps its television revenue and pays the city 15% of its advertising revenue.

By comparison, USC keeps all TV revenue as long as it exceeds a 70,000 ticket-per-game cap. The Trojan program also keeps all game-day ad revenue. USC splits the cost of ushers and ticket-takers with the Coliseum.

USC receives no income from food and beverage sales at the Coliseum, while UCLA receives half of all net game-day concession income from the Rose Bowl, but that's not enough to make up for UCLA's other expenses.

Experts familiar with both arrangements estimate USC might have paid 20% to 30% more in rent and revenue splits at the Coliseum last year if it were subject to UCLA's lease terms.

Among other private universities playing in public facilities, the University of Pittsburgh is a subtenant of the NFL's Steelers at Heinz Field. Tulane University plays at the state-owned Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans for a flat-rate rent established in 1975. Neither school would disclose further details.

It is likely that the terms of USC's lease will become stiffer, no matter how the NFL talks turn out. The commission's new 49-year lease of the Coliseum and adjacent Sports Arena from the state requires a renegotiation of its rent, currently $80,000 a year. The rent could rise to as much as $2.5 million under a contract formula.

Any increase of more than 10% would, in turn, trigger a reopening of USC's lease for 2007 in which all terms would be on the table.

"If there's no NFL deal going forward," Israel says, "it will be much more expensive for them to play in the Coliseum."

Last edited by TwinSisters; 06-30-2006 at 06:07 PM.
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
Ahh dammit the LATIMES....

let me look for something... that yahoo story is missing a critical piece of information.
A critical missing piece, indeed. Without state subsidy for USC and/or NFL subsidy for a new L.A. team owner, the Coliseum is not going to be "rebuilt" and will be more and more resembling its crumbling counterpart namesake in Greece.
Old 06-30-2006   #16
srstex
Veteran

Default Owner

Arnold and the Commish want a team in LA but has anyone come up the cash to put a new team there? San Antonio wants a team and has a fair stadium that would probably sell out every game, but the NO owner thought the stadium was too small. Although it would still have more fans in the seats.
And everyone knows we Texans love our Football.

The San Antonio Saints
Old 06-30-2006   #17
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Texas does not need another NFL team. Another team will only water down support for the teams already here...especially the Texans. I would bet that Jerry Jones and McNair would do everything they can to prevent another team moving into their markets.

Besides...you need alot of big business to support an NFL franchise. I don't believe SA has enough to effectively support an NFL team.
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #18
sonof504
waterboy

You guys do know we have supported a team that never wins for over 40 years right? WE also have had record ticket sales DESPITE getting hit by a hurricane.
sonof504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #19
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonof504
You guys do know we have supported a team that never wins for over 40 years right? WE also have had record ticket sales DESPITE getting hit by a hurricane.
To stick with a team that long means true fans. I hope the Saints stay in New Orleans. The Saints need to be in New Orleans.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006   #20
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonof504
You have record ticket sales at rock bottom prices, that doesn't take anything away from the folks that sit with the Saints though. In spite of what Lombardi says winning ain't everything, playing is.

I never saw the actual numbers, but I heard some chatter that the idea was to inflate the excitement from the cheap seats in hopes of selling the more important luxury boxes that are vacant. I believe you could get Saints season tickets at less then 10$ a game ( back when the draft was going down ).
---

Gwallaia. Mister Cougar. It would be a crime to remove the Saints from Louisiana. Not just for the city or state, but for the whole nation. If the Dutch can build dikes, then we should be able to figure out how to tame a swamp.

There is however nothing unamerican about taking a nap to think about it, to draw inspiration from dreams so to speak. That's what moving Reggie Bush to L.A. would be like. Letting New Orleans take a nap, not be put down forever like a lame horse.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read