Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-30-2006   #1
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler
Default Should the Texans be Introduced as a Team or Individuals?

At the beginning of the game, the announcer has always introduced the Texans as individuals. I always thought they should be introduced as a team. What are your thoughts?
Old 06-30-2006   #2
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

i dont really care just as long as the texans win
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #3
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch13
i dont really care just as long as the texans win
It takes a team to win, not individuals....
Old 06-30-2006   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the concept of team over the individual played a factor in McNair &
Kubiaks decision with whom they did and didn't select with their first round pick this year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #5
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the introductions at the beginning of the game are a GREAT tradition. Obviously, we are a whole team, is that even a question? The players announced are changed each week, the coach is announced. I LOVE it!!!!

Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever
I think the introductions at the beginning of the game are a GREAT tradition. Obviously, we are a whole team, is that even a question? The players announced are changed each week, the coach is announced. I LOVE it!!!!

Agreed. I make sure I am in my seat before the introductions to yell out the names. Yes I even yell out David Carr's name as hard as that is to believe for some.
Old 06-30-2006   #7
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the whole come out as a team thing is a tad played out. The Pats did it in the Super Bowl and then everyone started doing it. YES we know they are a team. NO you don't need to cram it in our faces. I like hearing the players names and cheering for your guys.

The thing I remember most from going to Astros games as a kid, yelling Jose Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz at the start of the games. They always finish it with the "We present YOUR Houston Texans or Astros or whatever" anyway so whats the big deal.

I know if I played I'd want to hear my name being called.
Old 06-30-2006   #8
AFD1717
Veteran

I see your point, but I think the pre-game intros are just a chance for the fans to cheer and watch the cheerlearders. I don't think there is a lack of team unity or anything, it's just more dramatic to have them run out one by one than it is to say "Your Houston Texans!" and then everybody goes to the sideline.
Old 06-30-2006   #9
done88
Veteran

The introductions are for the fun of the game. They are as much for the fans as the player. As for the team I thing. The offense takes pride when its there ture and the defense takes pride when it's there turn. The thing is the offense and defense don't want to be grouped together. They usually don't like each other. And thats the way it should be.
Old 06-30-2006   #10
Doom Capers
Veteran

I don't think they should be introduced as a team until they start playing like one.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Individually. Not only does it pump the players up it pumps the fans up as well.
Old 06-30-2006   #12
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Players by themselves, what does it matter, the guys know it is a team sport.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #13
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

as individuals. How else are we going to be able to get their jersey numbers memorized?

speaking of the introductions, when we went to the all access event and got to walk through the inflatable helmet that the players run through the first thought I had was how the heck do some of those linemen run through here. I am right at 6', and I had to duck slightly. I couldn't imagine some of our 6'+ linemen with a helmet on trying to get through there.
Old 06-30-2006   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_VA
I think the whole come out as a team thing is a tad played out. The Pats did it in the Super Bowl and then everyone started doing it. YES we know they are a team. NO you don't need to cram it in our faces. I like hearing the players names and cheering for your guys.
I agree. It was really neat when the Patriots did it because it was unexpected, but I think any other time a team does it, it's corny. Baseball, basketball, hockey, they are all intoduced as individuals. Football should also. Yeah, it's a team game (as are all the others) and being introduced as one isn't going to make a difference. I like it when they introduce the players. Good tradition.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #15
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
At the beginning of the game, the announcer has always introduced the Texans as individuals. I always thought they should be introduced as a team. What are your thoughts?

I like idea of coming out as a team, however NFL fines you if you do that. New England refused to be named individually and paid fine after fine for coming out as "New England Patriots" vs individual names
Old 06-30-2006   #16
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Agreed. I make sure I am in my seat before the introductions to yell out the names. Yes I even yell out David Carr's name as hard as that is to believe for some.
Kaiser, I am so impressed by that statement! I want a video on here this season when you yell out Carr's name as he comes out.

I knew you had it in you!!!! Go Texans!!!!!
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006   #17
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Introduce them as each player. It does hype each one.
Again, the end result must be a win.
Old 07-01-2006   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
as individuals. How else are we going to be able to get their jersey numbers memorized?

speaking of the introductions, when we went to the all access event and got to walk through the inflatable helmet that the players run through the first thought I had was how the heck do some of those linemen run through here. I am right at 6', and I had to duck slightly. I couldn't imagine some of our 6'+ linemen with a helmet on trying to get through there.

I don't know what the deal was with that, but the helmet that was out there is not how it is on game day. I've gone through there on game day, and though it is not terribly spacious in there, it is big enough so that big guys don't need to duck.

I heard rumors that they are getting a new helmety thing.
Old 07-01-2006   #19
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

I guess I'm old school, but the whole announcements, smoke and helmet thing really doesn't do much for me. I understand the concept of warming up the crowd, but the crowd will be plenty warm if the Texans win.

Personally, I use that time to check out the cheerleaders.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006   #20
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as we don't have a T.O. or Moss type of character who has to hog the spolight, I don't see anything wrong with individual introductions.

Yes...we are a team, but there's bunch of guys out there who don't even get to play in a particular game, so why not give them some kind of recognition?
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read