Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-30-2006   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default In case you were starting to doubt him

We're down 7 in the second quarter to the Colts. During the Colts last drive, Shantee Orr stripped Manning and Morlon Greenwood recovered.

But, on the very next play Carr was intercepted by Nick Harper, throwing toward Bradford.

Manning drove down the field with a 12 yard pass and a 31 yard touchdown pass.

HOU 0 IND 14

Indianapolis Colts at 11:22
D.Rayner kicks 67 yards from IND 30 to HST 3. J.Mathis to HST 21 for 18 yards (G.Sapp).
Houston Texans at 11:13
1-10-HOU21 (11:13) D.Davis right end to HST 18 for -3 yards (M.Reagor).
2-13-HOU18 (10:36) D.Davis up the middle to HST 17 for -1 yards (R.Brock).
3-14-HOU17 (10:06) (Shotgun) D.Carr pass to M.Rivers to HST 33 for 16 yards (G.Brackett). (3 yards after catch.)
1-10-HOU33 (9:28) D.Davis left tackle to HST 44 for 11 yards (M.Doss, B.Sanders).
1-10-HOU44 (8:48) D.Davis left guard to HST 48 for 4 yards (Da.Reid).
2-6-HOU48 (8:12) D.Davis right guard to IND 41 for 11 yards (D.Freeney).IND-B.Sanders was injured during the play.
1-10-IND41 (7:38) PENALTY on IND-M.Reagor, Encroachment, 5 yards, enforced at IND 41 - No Play.
1-5-IND36 (7:27) D.Davis left guard to IND 34 for 2 yards (C.Simon).
2-3-IND34 (6:54) D.Davis left end ran ob at IND 34 for no gain (C.June).
3-3-IND34 (6:24) D.Davis up the middle to IND 33 for 1 yard (D.Thornton, M.Reagor).
4-2-IND33 (5:44) D.Carr left end ran ob at IND 27 for 6 yards (G.Sapp).
1-10-IND27 (5:21) D.Carr left end to IND 15 for 12 yards (G.Sapp).
1-10-IND15 (4:35) D.Davis right guard to IND 13 for 2 yards (D.Thornton).
2-8-IND13 (3:57) D.Davis up the middle to IND 8 for 5 yards (G.Sapp).
3-3-IND8 (3:21) D.Davis left end for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
K.Brown extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Pittman, Holder-C.Stanley.
PENALTY on IND, Defensive 12 On-field, 5 yards, enforced between downs.
IND 14 HOU 7, Plays: 14 Yards: 79 Possession: 8:07.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...051023_IND@HOU

All i can do is shake my head at Dom Capers when i remember this.

And after that:

Houston Texans at 03:15
K.Brown kicks 65 yards from HST 35 to end zone, Touchback.
Indianapolis Colts at 03:15
1-10-IND20 (3:15) (Shotgun) P.Manning pass intended for B.Stokley INTERCEPTED by D.Robinson at IND 35. D.Robinson to IND 34 for 1 yard (B.Stokley).
Houston Texans at 03:08
1-10-IND34 (3:08) D.Davis up the middle to IND 31 for 3 yards (G.Brackett, R.Brock).
2-7-IND31 (2:27) D.Davis right tackle to IND 30 for 1 yard (D.Freeney).
3-6-IND30 (2:00) (Shotgun) D.Carr right end to IND 21 for 9 yards (N.Harper).
1-10-IND21 (1:19) D.Davis right guard to IND 12 for 9 yards (C.June).
2-1-IND12 (:43) D.Davis up the middle to IND 8 for 4 yards (G.Sapp).
1-8-IND8 (:37) D.Carr pass to J.Gaffney for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN. (3 yards after catch.)
K.Brown extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Pittman, Holder-C.Stanley.
IND 14 HOU 14, Plays: 6 Yards: 34 Possession: 2:38.

Its amazing how much Capers used DD

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 06-30-2006 at 12:50 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Starting to doubt who? This thread has me totally confused...
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

The player that was used 71% in two straight drives. It just seems to me that some people might have forgotton what a great back he is.
Old 06-30-2006   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole
The player that was used 71% in two straight drives. It just seems to me that some people might have forgotton what a great back he is.
Just because he is used a lot does not make him great. I have said it once and will say it again, Davis is a good, not great back. In the game you posted he had a whooping 98 yards on 28 carries for a whopping 3.5 YPC.
Old 06-30-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

On the first drive you posted he ran 11 times for 29 yards, and the second drive 4 carries for 17 yards, I guess we should watch out here comes the next Earl Campbell...
Old 06-30-2006   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Look at the play calling...look how many times he got ran in a row. Sometimes 4 times in a row. Thats the point.
Old 06-30-2006   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Look at the play calling...look how many times he got ran in a row. Sometimes 4 times in a row. Thats the point.
But you called him a great back...
Sponsored links
Old 06-30-2006   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Thats because he is
Old 06-30-2006   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thats because he is
Not trying to dis your opinion, but to me a great back is a Priest Holmes, LaDanian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, Edge James, or Clinton Portis. I just cannot put Davis into the same class of running back as these guys are in, and I do not think he will ever make it into that class IMO. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Davis sucks, I think he is a good running back, just not a great one.

Last edited by texan279; 06-30-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-30-2006   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not trying to dis your opinion, but to me a great back is a Priest Holmes, LaDanian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, Edge James,or Clinton Portis. I just cannot put Davis into the same class of running back as these guys are in, and I do not think he will ever make it into that class IMO. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Davis sucks, I think he is a good running back, just not a great one.
He'll be a great back when he can accomplish what these guy's can for a FULL year. Until he can withhold the every down pounding of the NFL, he'll just be average. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but I think we need a faster and more durable back.
Old 06-30-2006   #11
fan no matter what
Rookie

Default Dd

i have to agree DD is not a great back but he is not a bad one either. i think if he can stay healthy he can more than carry the load for us
fan no matter what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

DD has been a good value, but the jury is still out on whether he can be a true feature back on a playoff caliber team. Time will tell, and the time is soon to be here.
Old 06-30-2006   #13
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The point is that ANY defense could keep a back down on yardage if they ran it 4 times in a row (and especially the fact that they KNEW we were gonna run it) and as much as we did.

The essence of the defense is to make an offense one-dimensional, usually by stopping the run game and forcing the other team to pass, and to aggressively attack the one-dimension that the team has left. If the offense is already essentially doing that for you, then that takes away half of the defense's job right there.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #14
Vambo, the Marble Eye
Veteran

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD
The point is that ANY defense could keep a back down on yardage if they ran it 4 times in a row (and especially the fact that they KNEW we were gonna run it) and as much as we did.

The essence of the defense is to make an offense one-dimensional, usually by stopping the run game and forcing the other team to pass, and to aggressively attack the one-dimension that the team has left. If the offense is already essentially doing that for you, then that takes away half of the defense's job right there.

Who are you? This is an insightful, lucid arguement. I agree with you.

Can you go a step further and say that BECAUSE the Texans offence sucked with the predictable result of 3 downs and out... that our defense lived on the field and by the 3rd game of the season our opponnents had 6 games "worth" of Texans defensive film to study?
Old 06-30-2006   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD

Sorry, but last season we ran 437 rushing plays and 449 pass plays, so that is pretty much 50/50, so I don't understand the one dimensional angle.

Last edited by texan279; 06-30-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-30-2006   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Is DD productive? Yes.

Is DD great (to date)? No.
Old 06-30-2006   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Sorry, but last season we ran 437 rushing plays and 449 pass plays, so that is pretty much 50/50, so I don't understand the one dimensional angle.
I'd like to see that broken down by quarters. Teams tend to pass a lot in the second half when they are down by 10+ points.
Old 06-30-2006   #18
real

DD is a good back...He's not exceptional.....I am a huge DD critic, but I think that with a good team around him he can definitely excell...He'll never be the type of back that can create things for himself..i.e, Tomlinson, Holmes, Barber, Bush...No I'm not saying he can't break tackles or make guys miss, because that would be ludicrous...What starting back in the leauge hasn't made someone miss or broken a tackle...BUT, the great backs can do one or the other exceptionaly well...With DD's lack of breakaway speed, average agility, and average tackle breaking ability, IMO ability wise he will never be a top ten back...Of course he can get the job done, but in order for him to be exceptional, he needs exceptional players around him...
Old 06-30-2006   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I'd like to see that broken down by quarters. Teams tend to pass a lot in the second half when they are down by 10+ points.
Most teams, Capers didn't though from what I remember, I may be wrong though.
Old 06-30-2006   #20
real

I don't understand why some label DD as great...IMO, ability wise he's average all around...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read