Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-29-2006   #1
texflex513
All Pro

Default Question about offense

Im not really an x's and o's guy so tell me Is it a requirement for our wideouts to be superior blockers for our running game to flourish? And how good are AJ and EM at blocking?

Last edited by texflex513; 06-29-2006 at 11:45 AM.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #2
AFD1717
Veteran

I'm not a brilliant Xs and Os guy either, but I do know that long runs are usually a function of WRs blocking DBs. Typically you want your RB to be able to outrun LBs and D-linemen, but the DBs catch them from behind if the WRs don't block. I would assume that WR blocking on the playside is pretty important in this Zone Scheme because it is about blocking an area and operating in space, but we should probably get Texans Chick or somebody to give us a better answer.

(Welcome to the board, by the way)
Old 06-29-2006   #3
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure that its necessary to have good blockers at WR for us to 'flourish' in the running game, but to maximize the potential of any running game it is obviously better to have good blocking at that position.
I believe that we will have exceptional blocking from our wideouts this year from WR1 to WR3.
I don't have a hard time at all imagining that we will have among the very best blocking receiver corps in the league.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't say superior but I would say they'd need to be decent in order for us to get that break away run. Once the RB get's past the line and LB's the only D that's left is the secondary. So with that being said the WR's would have to be decent if not good blockers in order to get that long run for a TD.

Our WR's are most definetly big enough to be good blockers. IMO
Old 06-29-2006   #5
wrestler4life
Veteran

Yes. For the running game to flourish, you must have good blocking recievers. DB's are responsible for turning the run back to the inside where the bigger guys are, and safeties are big run stoppers as well. Without good blocking on those guys, most runs would have to go through the middle, which is the heart of the defense.
Old 06-29-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Our WR's are most definetly big enough to be good blockers.
Yes they are, if they have the attitude to block. That has as much to do with it as size.
Old 06-29-2006   #7
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Yes they are, if they have the attitude to block. That has as much to do with it as size.
True. All you're really expected to do as a WR is just go get in the way. That's more than a lot of WR's do on most plays. That's attitude more than it is physical specifications.
Old 06-29-2006   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, I've even seen Randy Moss get in the way of (block) a couple DB's.
Old 06-29-2006   #9
real

In the Zone offense especially, the WR's won't always be blocking the DB's...Alot of times they will just be simply running them out of the play...The reason for this is to make the zone play actions, and bootlegs look the same as the runs...But of course once the DB's recognize run it would help if the WR's could put a body on someone...
Old 06-29-2006   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's important if your looking for more than a 5-7 yard run and fortunatly both our starting WR are pretty solid blockers. In fact, AJ said a year or two ago, that he really likes to slam it to a DB.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #11
JohnGalt
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 JohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballotJohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

deleted
Old 06-29-2006   #12
texflex513
All Pro

thanks for the feedback guys
Old 06-29-2006   #13
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

They are both good at blocking, Dre comming out of college they said loved to block.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
I wouldn't say superior but I would say they'd need to be decent in order for us to get that break away run. Once the RB get's past the line and LB's the only D that's left is the secondary. So with that being said the WR's would have to be decent if not good blockers in order to get that long run for a TD.

Our WR's are most definetly big enough to be good blockers. IMO
I definitely agree, Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, and Kevin Walter should all be good blockers for us, they are all big and pretty strong, although WRs blocking is mainly important on runs to the outside (not sure how many of those we'll see) or else on runs that end up breaking downfield.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

[quote=MorKnolle]I definitely agree, Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, and Kevin Walter should all be good blockers for us, they are all big and pretty strong, although WRs blocking is mainly important on runs to the outside (not sure how many of those we'll see) or else on runs that end up breaking downfield.[/QUOTE]

That brings up a question I have. I remember a break away run against the titans a couple years ago by DD and he was chased down from behind about 30 yds downfield. Among the newly aquired RB's we have, is there one that might be able to out run the DB's once past the secondary?
Old 06-29-2006   #16
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

[quote=HOU-TEX]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I definitely agree, Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, and Kevin Walter should all be good blockers for us, they are all big and pretty strong, although WRs blocking is mainly important on runs to the outside (not sure how many of those we'll see) or else on runs that end up breaking downfield.[/QUOTE]

That brings up a question I have. I remember a break away run against the titans a couple years ago by DD and he was chased down from behind about 30 yds downfield. Among the newly aquired RB's we have, is there one that might be able to out run the DB's once past the secondary?
Wali Lundy is faster than Davis, but I don't know if he'll outrun the majority of CBs in the league, very few RBs do, just depends if he can outrun everyone else and break the CBs tackle.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #17
texflex513
All Pro

read somewhere that chris taylor is pretty fast from indy not sure if he will make the roster though.
Old 06-29-2006   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

What do you think the odds are of Lundy getting PT? IMO, DD might not be ready to go 100%. I would think we'd want to have the quicker of the backs in the game for the cutback then North/South speed.
Old 06-29-2006   #19
texflex513
All Pro

The way it looks now lundy would be our guy if DD is not ready with smith being used for short yardage situations
Old 06-29-2006   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Rhodes has impressed with his break out speed.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read