Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,991
Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston gets another shot at a College Bowl

"The NCAA approved certification today for a college bowl game to replace the financially troubled Houston Bowl.
The game, which does not yet have a title sponsor, will be played Dec. 28 at Reliant Stadium. It will pair the Big 12 Conference's No. 8 team against the Big East's No. 4 team. Conference USA is also included in the bowl contract.
The NFL Network is expected to televise the game.
Lone Star Sports & Entertainment, a subsidiary of the NFL's Texans, will be in charge of staging the game and sports authority officials will handle hospitality and other bowl-related events.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4010485.html
************************************************** ****
With the Texans (and more specifically McNair) involved, IMO they should
have an excellent opportunity to make this thing work.
Dang, with the local connections McNair has with the energy industry, he
should be able to sign-up a financially very strong sponser.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #2
TexansCanes
All Pro
 
TexansCanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: LSU
Age: 28
Posts: 600
Rep Power: 11 TexansCanes is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"The NCAA approved certification today for a college bowl game to replace the financially troubled Houston Bowl.
The game, which does not yet have a title sponsor, will be played Dec. 28 at Reliant Stadium. It will pair the Big 12 Conference's No. 8 team against the Big East's No. 4 team. Conference USA is also included in the bowl contract.
The NFL Network is expected to televise the game.
Lone Star Sports & Entertainment, a subsidiary of the NFL's Texans, will be in charge of staging the game and sports authority officials will handle hospitality and other bowl-related events.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4010485.html
************************************************** ****
With the Texans (and more specifically McNair) involved, IMO they should
have an excellent opportunity to make this thing work.
Dang, with the local connections McNair has with the energy industry, he
should be able to sign-up a financially very strong sponser.
Yeah they have alot of good people behind this bowl but it won't work this time around either because look at the teams, big 12 #8 and big east #4 is a terrible matchup and thats what made the last two bowls fail. do that many people want to see kansas vs. rutgers. i really like the bowl system and no day other than the first round of the ncaa basketball tournament is better than new years day when it comes to sports, but there are to many bowl games.
__________________
"He's a bad dude, I'd like to have him in our arsenal. I'd never run the ball."
TexansCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame
 
TexanSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 27
Posts: 17,071
Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCanes
Yeah they have alot of good people behind this bowl but it won't work this time around either because look at the teams, big 12 #8 and big east #4 is a terrible matchup and thats what made the last two bowls fail. do that many people want to see kansas vs. rutgers. i really like the bowl system and no day other than the first round of the ncaa basketball tournament is better than new years day when it comes to sports, but there are to many bowl games.
I agree. If you're gonna have bowl games, just choose the top two or three teams from each conference. I don't really want to see East Carolina vs Colorado State. I remember reading that Houston wanted to get the 5th BCS bowl game, but how would that happen if we can't even keep a mediocre bowl afloat?
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #4
TMac48
Veteran
 
TMac48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: College Station
Age: 29
Posts: 179
Rep Power: 11 TMac48 is ridin' the pine
Send a message via AIM to TMac48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I agree. If you're gonna have bowl games, just choose the top two or three teams from each conference. I don't really want to see East Carolina vs Colorado State. I remember reading that Houston wanted to get the 5th BCS bowl game, but how would that happen if we can't even keep a mediocre bowl afloat?
The reason we can't keep it afloat is because it is a mediocre bowl. If we can get some good teams from quality conferences playing here, it'll do better. It's like you said, no one wants to see East Carolina and Colorado St. Give me Big XII v.s. Big Ten or Big XII v.s. SEC any day. And how about the EV1.net Bayou City Bowl or Reliant Energy Bayou City Bowl instead of Houston Bowl?
__________________
"Bite the hand that feeds you and it will backslap."
- Ihategeeks
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 27
Posts: 8,600
Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Thats great news, would be a great place to go to a bowl game. Great food.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #6
BSL63087
Rookie
 
BSL63087's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 27
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 0 BSL63087 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac48
The reason we can't keep it afloat is because it is a mediocre bowl. If we can get some good teams from quality conferences playing here, it'll do better. It's like you said, no one wants to see East Carolina and Colorado St. Give me Big XII v.s. Big Ten or Big XII v.s. SEC any day. And how about the EV1.net Bayou City Bowl or Reliant Energy Bayou City Bowl instead of Houston Bowl?
agreed. No matter where a mediocre bowl is played its never going to do all that good. I went to the Music City Bowl back in 02 and it probably wasn't even half full. The fact is no one wants to see crappy teams play no matter where it is.

I would be for bringing a 5th BCS game to Houston that would be nice. Houston should get in the rotation for hosting the national championship game as well. Its a warm weather city and has a great stadium to host it.
BSL63087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame
 
TexanSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 27
Posts: 17,071
Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

All these bowl games are more reason for the NCAA to go to a playoff system. I don't know how it would work out, but I'm sure it could happen.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2006   #8
Speedy
Yeller Dweller
 
Speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Livable Forest
Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Posts: 3,255
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac48
The reason we can't keep it afloat is because it is a mediocre bowl. If we can get some good teams from quality conferences playing here, it'll do better. It's like you said, no one wants to see East Carolina and Colorado St. Give me Big XII v.s. Big Ten or Big XII v.s. SEC any day. And how about the EV1.net Bayou City Bowl or Reliant Energy Bayou City Bowl instead of Houston Bowl?
Or bring back the Bluebonnet Bowl?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger