Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-27-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans/Panthers parallels part 2.

A while back, there was a thread about the parallels between the 2002 Panthers and maybe the 2006 Texans.

Latest fanblog post talks about this some: Link: "Are the 2006 Texans the 2002 Panthers?"

I am not sure how much I would read into this stuff, but it is nice to see what is possible in the age of parity (especially with a nice pass rush).
Old 06-27-2006   #2
KingRat
Rookie

Fox wasn't Carolina's second coach, George Seiffert sp? was, wasn't he?
Old 06-27-2006   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default would be nice

I can see some similarities but I feel we still lack talent in the defensive secondary, offensive line, quarterback, and depth at running back. I think we have loads of talent at DE and LB so maybe they can compensate for our deficiencies at secondary. I do see big similarities at WR, DE, and coaching though.

The fact is though that Carolina finally fessed up to Weinke, Peete, Lewis, and Collins as not being good enough to lead the Panthers to the Super Bowl. They brought in new starter and admitted that their current QB situtation was not good enough. This is something we should have done with David Carr. See the Panthers admit their mistakes and then fixed them and didn't worry about hurting anyone's feelings. You must remember that they went out, made a move, and got Jake DelHomme, who then led them to the Super Bowl. They didn't let blind loyalty and stubborness get in the way of winning. Fox and Richardson were smart enough to get a new QB. Kubiak and McNair werent. End of story and a crucial difference in direction. Panthers got a quality QB that wanted to win and did what it took to win. We kept a QB that doesn't win and still gets treated like a rookie by fans and media even after 5 years....

doug from the woodlands
-addressing Carr's bad QB play since 2002-
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #4
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRat
Fox wasn't Carolina's second coach, George Seiffert sp? was, wasn't he?
Yes absolutely.

---

I will add that the GM was left out of the equation and that is BIG part of the Fox climb and the Capers problems.

Also there is the Dan Morgan roids case that complicates matters.

http://scoreboards.aol.com/football/...team_news.aspx
http://www.allsports.com/cgi-bin/sho...story_id=53594

Here's a couple of stories.

So Morgan might have been just nasty rumours, but still you have two starting on the offensive line. It doesn't mean anything by itself, but complicates the comparison.

Last edited by TwinSisters; 06-27-2006 at 12:27 PM.
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #5
trane
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
A while back, there was a thread about the parallels between the 2002 Panthers and maybe the 2006 Texans.

Latest fanblog post talks about this some: Link: "Are the 2006 Texans the 2002 Panthers?"

I am not sure how much I would read into this stuff, but it is nice to see what is possible in the age of parity (especially with a nice pass rush).
The biggest difference between the 2002 Panters and the 2006 Texans is the strength of the division. Indy and Jacksonville are still going to be tough and the Titans are improved.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

While it is interesting to note the comparisons between these two teams...my mind stops when you realize that the Panthers were in the NFC Championship game by year 2. We have yet to even have a winning season going into year 5. (and the Panthers were 7-9 in their first year, which is our best record in four years)
Old 06-27-2006   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Yeah Texans Chick mentioned that before and I agree. The Panthers and the Jaguars were able to capitalize on teams not handling the cap so well back then.

I think the difference might have shown up in the how the clubs drafted. Jacksonville seemed to fair a little better then the Panthers did early on.

Of course they had a healthy Boselli too..........................................
Old 06-27-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
Yeah Texans Chick mentioned that before and I agree. The Panthers and the Jaguars were able to capitalize on teams not handling the cap so well back then.

I think the difference might have shown up in the how the clubs drafted. Jacksonville seemed to fair a little better then the Panthers did early on.

Of course they had a healthy Boselli too..........................................
They had much more advantageous expansion draft rules and draft benefits. After both sets of kitty's came into the league the other team owners put a stop to that generosity and the Browns and Texans had less help to start.
Old 06-27-2006   #9
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
While it is interesting to note the comparisons between these two teams...my mind stops when you realize that the Panthers were in the NFC Championship game by year 2. We have yet to even have a winning season going into year 5. (and the Panthers were 7-9 in their first year, which is our best record in four years)
Cause they went the opposite route then we did, Vets first not Rookies.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #10
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by trane
The biggest difference between the 2002 Panters and the 2006 Texans is the strength of the division. Indy and Jacksonville are still going to be tough and the Titans are improved.
Wait a sec, that is the year TB won the Super Bowl and NO just missed the playoffs. That was and still is a Strong Division.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #11
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000
Wait a sec, that is the year TB won the Super Bowl and NO just missed the playoffs. That was and still is a Strong Division.
I agree it constantly gets tossed into the strongest Division arguments ( and has been for the past 4 seasons ).

Its almost always NFC East, NFC South, AFC WEST

one of those.

EDIT: But let me add that the NFC East is rarely worthy of being called the toughest or strongest.

Quote:
On the plus side of history's statistical curve, as it applies to top-notch divisions, is this fact: since the 2002 re-alignment, the best division in terms of winning percentage was the 2002 NFC South, with an overall record of 37-26-1 (.586). That group yielded the Super Bowl Champion Buccaneers, suggesting that strong competition within the division may have helped Tampa Bay when it counted.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...ABN4020687.htm

dang Trane! you were a little off there. the 2002 NFC South ranks as the 6th toughest division in the history of the Super Bowl era NFL.

Last edited by TwinSisters; 06-28-2006 at 08:38 AM.
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read