Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-24-2006   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Team Report in SN by Megan Manful

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/texans/index.html

snippet:
CB Lewis Sanders will be critical in the upcoming season as a reserve. He started three contests last season as the nickel back, and has shown good playmaking ability in the offseason. Lewis (6-1, 210) has deceptive speed and athleticism. He has a knack for getting to the ball and breaking up plays. With solid starters in Dunta Robinson and Demarcus Faggins, Lewis won't crack the starting lineup, but should pair up with Phillip Buchanon to give the team quality depth.

SCOUTING REPORT: Glenn Earl finally has been able to take part in a complete offseason, and he's taken advantage. Earl has played well in the past few months, all but securing the starting job at strong safety. He is physical and solid at reading offenses. The biggest concerns with Earl since college deal with his durability. He has had knee injuries, shoulder injuries and hip injuries.
Old 06-24-2006   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Glenn Earl finally has been able to take part in a complete offseason, and he's taken advantage. Earl has played well in the past few months, all but securing the starting job at strong safety.
I personally have a lot of faith in Earl. Watching him play last year showed me that although he looked a little hesitant, he has the head to make plays when he needs to. I remember that interception last year, in particular, where it singled out his abilities and quick reactions. When he knows what to do he can do it well.... he just needs to train and focus his mind on the game.
Old 06-24-2006   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13
I personally have a lot of faith in Earl. Watching him play last year showed me that although he looked a little hesitant, he has the head to make plays when he needs to. I remember that interception last year, in particular, where it singled out his abilities and quick reactions. When he knows what to do he can do it well.... he just needs to train and focus his mind on the game.

I think the DB's in general will look like a whole new group because the team should finally have whats been missing on defense .... A pass Rush . It's difficult for DB's to be aggressive (especially safety's) when they know there is no pass rush to hurry the play along instead of the reciever having a week to stretch the field and get open...... A good pass rush can make average DB's look much better than they are .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I think the DB's in general will look like a whole new group because the team should finally have whats been missing on defense .... A pass Rush . It's difficult for DB's to be aggressive (especially safety's) when they know there is no pass rush to hurry the play along instead of the reciever having a week to stretch the field and get open...... A good pass rush can make average DB's look much better than they are .
Even if we get a good pass rush, I still see defensive back as our weakest area. I don't think Faggins is a starter. Buchanan has the talent to be a star or a very good DB, but he hasn't put it all together. I hope they do well, but I'm still not completely convinced.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Even if we get a good pass rush, I still see defensive back as our weakest area. I don't think Faggins is a starter. Buchanan has the talent to be a star or a very good DB, but he hasn't put it all together. I hope they do well, but I'm still not completely convinced.

This is where I think a lot of people on this board are dead wrong . I believe Faggins is going to have a very good season and change a few minds on this board in the process . (Quote It) As for Buchannon , we'll have to wait and see if he can put it all together and become an every down corner or a PR/KR nickle back . Which is where I think he best fits .

If the team is thin at any position in the secondary its at Free Safety , They have little behind CC.Brown who as a rookie played well at times but at others looked like just that , a rookie at a very important position . I think he is better suited to the Strong Safety spot but eventually could be be a solid starter at FS and a steal in the 6th round but it may take another year or so to develop the talent there . Even if Brown plays well the team needs a capable backup .

Old 06-24-2006   #6
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is where I think a lot of people on this board are dead wrong . I believe Faggins is going to have a very good season and change a few minds on this board in the process . (Quote It) As for Buchannon , we'll have to wait and see if he can put it all together and become an every down corner or a PR/KR nickle back . Which is where I think he best fits .

If the team is thin at any position in the secondary its at Free Safety , They have little behind CC.Brown who as a rookie played well at times but at others looked like just that , a rookie at a very important position . I think he is better suited to the Strong Safety spot but eventually could be be a solid starter at FS and a steal in the 6th round but it may take another year or so to develop the talent there . Even if Brown plays well the team needs a capable backup .
That was why we got Michael Stone. He should be a capable backup to Brown.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #7
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Faggins had a pretty good year in 2004 and I would expect him to play similarly in '06. I fully expect the defense to improve more than the offense this season.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2006   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A good pass rush can make average DB's look much better than they are .
You know, I was about to make an EXCELLENT point about how a ball control offense would help the DB's look better because our DB's would have fewer attempts against them... And then I made the inexcusable mistake of actually looking at the stats. We had the 4th fewest attempts against our D. We allowed one of the highest completion percentages and we were kinda middle of the pack for sacks. We just couldn't buy a freaking interception.

So, crap. Nevermind.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

The problem with the texans defense stems from its lack of offense . Only Three teams (3) had fewer passing attempts against than the Texans . Teams didnt have to throw the ball because they were usually ahead .... when yoiu are ahead you run the ball the majority of the time . Only three teams had a lower avg carries per game against than the Texans at 31.6 . Only two (2) teams gave up more YPA than the texans 4.6. Teams pretty much ran the ball at will against the Texans last season . This leads me to believe the Texans made the right choice in drafting Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans , they address the most glaring weakness on the team ... No playmakers in the defensive front 7 .

Only One (1) team had fewer INT's that the Texans (7) and that was the Raiders (5).

Their sack numbers werent all that bad a ratio of 1:12.68 sacks / att . Jacksonville lead the league in this stat at 1:10.25 sack / att . In contrast to the 49'ers 1:20.57 sack / att . at the bottom of the league .

Old 06-25-2006   #10
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000
That was why we got Michael Stone. He should be a capable backup to Brown.
check that...

you mean to take Brown's starting job...because I guarantee that's what is gonna happen
Old 06-25-2006   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
check that...

you mean to take Brown's starting job...because I guarantee that's what is gonna happen

Stone was a CB in college and was listed as a CB until circumstances dictated that he fill in as SS/FS for several games. The change from CB to SS/FS duties could explain the major criticism of being caught "out of position"
in critical situations.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006   #12
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
check that...

I was under the impression that the coachig staff was very high on Brown and he still had the starting job. And that Stone was brought in to push him, so asto create competition just like every other position on the team. Plus I think Brown will improve enough over his rookie year to win the job.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #13
Stoner
waterboy

Megan Manful? Is that name for real?
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner
Megan Manful? Is that name for real?
Yes, she's written for the Chronicle for a while now, one of McClain's croonies.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Phillip...canot tackle. He couldn't tackle in college and he will not tackle this year either. As long as he dosen't have to support the run nhe's ok. D B is our achillies heel and they will be put to the test the very first game. If we can't shut down Pilly...it'll be a very long season. The pass rush better be better. But whether or not we have DBsLBs to cover the water bug is another matter. We'll see.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006   #16
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Yes, she's written for the Chronicle for a while now, one of McClain's croonies.
She hangs out here too.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/3997894.html

The "TRUE" Texan. You can't type something like that without hanging out in the Houston Texans' mothership awhile.

Maybe we should start a "Is she a hottie or not a hottie" poll?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read