Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-24-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN NFL Insider: AFC South Review

Didn't see this posted anywhere....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...ory?id=2476625

Houston Texans

Of all the teams in the AFC South, no one has had more turnover than the Texans. However, that turnover was not with the roster, it was within the coaching staff and front office.

The Texans will head into the summer ready to start a new era. Gone are GM Charley Casserly and head coach Dom Capers. They have been replaced by Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak. Smith and Kubiak come from the Denver Broncos , a team that knows a little something about winning.

This new duo should be a solid fit for the organization. Their relationship could be compared to that of Denver GM Ted Sundquist and head coach Mike Shanahan. They have a solid relationship, have worked together and share similar philosophies. This will be very important when tough decisions need to be made.

On the field, this will be a much improved team. Despite all of the front office movement, the team has not sat on its hands. It has been extremely proactive this offseason.

The addition of wide receiver Eric Moulds will open up the entire offense and take pressure off young receiver Andre Johnson. Defensive end Anthony Weaver gives them a solid addition to a defensive line unit that needs to adjust from the 3-4 to a 4-3 scheme.

The draft was also very good to the Texans. Yes, they made a mistake in selecting Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, but the rest of their draft was very solid. They finally addressed the offensive line, something which contributed to the downfall of both Casserley and Capers. In drafting offensive tackles Eric Winston and Charles Spencer, the Texans got two players who will compete for starting spots as rookies.

Throw in Williams (projected starter at right defensive end), DeMeco Ryans (projected starter at weak-side linebacker) and tight end Owen Daniels, and all of a sudden the Texans have a lot of young talent with which to grow with and eventually build around.

This team is far from playoff ready, but it will play a lot of young players this season and those guys will get better with reps. With Kubiak and Smith at the helm, this organization eventually will be considered the Broncos of the south.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #2
Big78
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Big78

Once again, they still see our drafting Mario as a mistake. Otherwise, they seemed to hit all of the high points of our offseason. I liked the addtion of Flannagan, Putzier, Cowert, and a few others they missed but they hit the big ones. They even mentioned DeMeco, so atleast they looked beyond the blatantly obvious and did some research into who they were talking about. Finally, some recognition for our efforts and maybe people will start to hear the rumbling of the stampede that is headed their way...............listen..................can u hear it?

Did u get chills? I did.

-Homer Stokes
Big78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There was no mention of one of the best move done all offseason: signing Mike Flannagan. He's one of the best centers in the league and he allows McKinney to move back to G, where he should be. This team is very much improved on the line of scrimmage. The D-Line will improve with Peek and Babin doing what they do best: rushing the quarterback. The pressure will allow our DBs to get better coverage and cause more turnovers. ESPN isn't a good source for a team not located in New England or Pittsburgh.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am hoping if the defensive line play improves, which it should, it will help out our DB's like someone mentioned, especially Buchanon. IMO this is a make or break year for Buchanon since he is in the last year of his contract. This is by far the best offseason we have ever had. Moulds and Flanagan were great additions. Spencer, Winston, Ryans and Williams were great picks IMO. Some scouting reports I have read had Ryans and Winston graded as first round talent at one time or another so we got great value there while addressing needs. I am not sure I like the Broncos of the south comment, since we should have our own identity, but if we can perform like the Broncos in coming years I won't complain one bit. I think Kubiak was the best choice for head coach for us, an offensive coach with experience working with QB's and has the ability to turn almost any RB into a 1000 yard rusher and he should also be able to help AJ along as well as having Moulds to help AJ. Moulds IMO could be the biggest signing of the offseason. A veteran leader who can still produce as well as mentor AJ and our other WR's and take pressure off of AJ. Add in Putzier who has good hands and can spread the field from the TE position and the changes to the offensive line and I think we could have a very explosive dangerous offense in the next season or two, maybe sooner. Hopefully Williams and Babin/Peek at the DE spots will instill fear into QB's. I think we will see some improvement on both sides of the ball by mid season if not sooner. I think I am more excited about our first preseason game than I have ever been about a regular season game, and before every regular season game since game one I have been one excited mofo.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still trying to find the insider info and expert analysis.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #6
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not say that we are "Far" from a playoff birth.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #7
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
There was no mention of one of the best move done all offseason: signing Mike Flannagan. He's one of the best centers in the league and he allows McKinney to move back to G, where he should be. This team is very much improved on the line of scrimmage. The D-Line will improve with Peek and Babin doing what they do best: rushing the quarterback. The pressure will allow our DBs to get better coverage and cause more turnovers. ESPN isn't a good source for a team not located in New England or Pittsburgh.
He's old and missed the entire year of 2004 with a serious injury and had a sports hernia last year. He is often overpowered by opponents on the other side of the line. And to say that a national -- I repeat -- NATIONAL -- media sports network is only good for a NE or Pitt team is pretty outlandish.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2006   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I would not say that we are "Far" from a playoff birth.
I agree. We might not be there yet, but with the parity in the NFL, it only takes one or two years for a franchise to turn around under good management, which is what we have now.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

We have no idea if our management is good, bad, or in-between. The GM has been on the job for a month and the head coach hasn't coached a game. We all hope for and expect a turnaround, sure, but until they prove otherwise on the field, we are one of the worst teams in the NFL.
Old 06-24-2006   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
We have no idea if our management is good, bad, or in-between. The GM has been on the job for a month and the head coach hasn't coached a game. We all hope for and expect a turnaround, sure, but until they prove otherwise on the field, we are one of the worst teams in the NFL.
Well I'm assuming our management is good. Considering what we've had the past 4 years, can we do much worse?
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
You are only good as your last result, so I have heard.
Old 06-24-2006   #12
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
You are only good as your last result, so I have heard.
What was Kubiak and Smith's last result as head coach and GM respectively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
Well I'm assuming our management is good. Considering what we've had the past 4 years, can we do much worse?
How is Smith's future performance related to what has happened here in the past 4 years?
Old 06-24-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
What was Kubiak and Smith's last result as head coach and GM respectively?
I was concurring with your statement in that regardless of what we have done this off season we are a 2-14 team.
Old 06-24-2006   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

I had planned to go out to get some dinner but damm the luck, I got sucked into T2 on Sci Fi. We need that new and improved terminator on our o-line. The old model 101 would work at linebacker. For some reason those silly assed Terminator movies always grab me.
Old 06-24-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I had planned to go out to get some dinner but damm the luck, I got sucked into T2 on Sci Fi. We need that new and improved terminator on our o-line. The old model 101 would work at linebacker. For some reason those silly assed Terminator movies always grab me.
I will take the Earl34 anyday. Reliable, fun, but not friendly to opposing teams. Just fill'em up with some Copenhagen and a long neck every so often and it can go for a good 10,000 yards.
Old 06-24-2006   #16
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4862 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I will take the Earl34 anyday. Reliable, fun, but not friendly to opposing teams. Just fill'em up with some Copenhagen and a long neck every so often and it can go for a good 10,000 yards.
LOL
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

I don't know..... that liquid metal and knife thing is pretty bad azz...

On an AFC South note, I ran into an old Baltimore Colt fan the other night (in Florida) - and he hates Indy for the same reason some of us are cool to the flaming hubcaps. I have him convinced that Bud Adams is worse than what Robert Irsay and Art Modell were combined. A talkative fellow, he is my new point of light in the Southeast part of the country. Joel O would be proud.
Old 06-24-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I don't know..... that liquid metal and knife thing is pretty bad azz...

On an AFC South note, I ran into an old Baltimore Colt fan the other night (in Florida) - and he hates Indy for the same reason some of us are cool to the flaming hubcaps. I have him convinced that Bud Adams is worse than what Robert Irsay and Art Modell were combined. A talkative fellow, he is my new point of light in the Southeast part of the country. Joel O would be proud.
That post can only be captured best through the lyrics of Bell Biv Devoe's signature lyric in their first commercial success Poison, "smack it up, flip it, rub it down oohhh nooooo!" So much cross pollenization going on between forums.
Old 06-24-2006   #19
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I am going to keep on hoping to.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006   #20
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hate to pick bones with you....but, the Earl34 was powered by Skoal and not the Coenhagen fuel. "Just a pinch between the cheek and gums." However, I must agree with you completely. Also, how about the Robert Brazile version of DB?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read