Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-22-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL should be more like soccer...continuous clock

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ily/index.html

This guy says the NFL should become like soccer by using a continuous clock. While I don't think the clock should be run non-stop, I do think that there should be less commercials. I hate it when the Texans (or any other team) scores, they kick the extra point, then a TV timeout. They go back to the broadcast, kick off, another timeout. It becomes ridiculous. After a team scores, do the commercial, but don't do one after the kickoff. That's just stupid. Heck, add 5 minutes to halftime. I wouldn't mind quite as much. An NFL game should last at most 2 1/2 hours not 3 1/2.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #2
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

college football is worse, games can go up to five hours, cause they stop the clock every first down
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I vote that football be LESS like soccer in every way possible. From the fake flop injuries to most of the critical scoring coming off of penalties. Scoring needs to come from the flow of the game, not some homerun derby style 'free kick' on a penalty. No thanks.
Agreed, well said, I don't want to see any of these in football.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The NFL game fits nicely in or around a 3 hour window. I'm just fine with that. I vote that football be LESS like soccer in every way possible. From the fake flop injuries to most of the critical scoring coming off of penalties. Scoring needs to come from the flow of the game, not some homerun derby style 'free kick' on a penalty. No thanks.
Well said, Vinny, and I agree 100%.

Football does have some continuous clock, and the rules about events that stop the clock makes sense to me. Incomplete passes should stop the clock, IMO. And running out-of-bounds keeps the clock running unless it's within 2 minutes of ending the first half or 5 minutes of the second half. These are reasonable, and allow for a certain strategy for the ends of the halfs.

TV timeouts do get carried away, though. Although I tend to not mind them, especially at the games. It gives the cheerleaders more time to entertain us with their superb dancing abilities.
Old 06-23-2006   #5
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

TV timeouts do get carried away, though. Although I tend to not mind them, especially at the games. It gives the cheerleaders more time to entertain us with their superb dancing abilities.
DB takes a lemon and makes lemonade.

Old 06-23-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well said, Vinny, and I agree 100%.

Football does have some continuous clock, and the rules about events that stop the clock makes sense to me. Incomplete passes should stop the clock, IMO. And running out-of-bounds keeps the clock running unless it's within 2 minutes of ending the first half or 5 minutes of the second half. These are reasonable, and allow for a certain strategy for the ends of the halfs.
There are some tweaks which could be made IMO. I hate that the intentional grounding rule doesn't apply to the most obvious case of intentional grounding and one which effectively gives more time-outs--QB's dumping the ball immediately after the snap. I also don't like that an obvious passing play goes down as a negative run play on the stats but that is another matter. I also don't like QB's hucking the ball into the stands to avoid pressure or the clock. Refs make judgment calls on in the vicinity of a receiver when the ball is thrown in the field of play--make the QB get it close to someone when throwing it out of bounds as well.

Quote:
That's the nature of the beast IMO--that's where the money comes from so it is going to happen. Plus the cheerleaders are literally in front of my seats--front row baby.
Old 06-23-2006   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
There are some tweaks which could be made IMO. I hate that the intentional grounding rule doesn't apply to the most obvious case of intentional grounding and one which effectively gives more time-outs--QB's dumping the ball immediately after the snap. I also don't like that an obvious passing play goes down as a negative run play on the stats but that is another matter. I also don't like QB's hucking the ball into the stands to avoid pressure or the clock. Refs make judgment calls on in the vicinity of a receiver when the ball is thrown in the field of play--make the QB get it close to someone when throwing it out of bounds as well.
I've never quite understood the stopping the clock thing. Intentional grounding is intentional grounding, so hiking it and slamming it to the ground seems to be contrary to the spirit of the rule. I agree about this one.

Same with the negative running play thing. I'm not sure what the logic is behind that method of stat tracking.

I give a little leeway to chucking the ball for QBs, simply because of the way they've framed the rule. He has to be out of the pocket, and get the ball past the line of scrimmage. When you've got a 350 pound defender bearing down, I'd imagine even getting rid of the ball is not the easiest thing to do. I grant a little leeway just because of the NFL's desire to protect one of football's most valuable marketing positions. (not necessarily agree with it, but I understand it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
That's the nature of the beast IMO--that's where the money comes from so it is going to happen. Plus the cheerleaders are literally in front of my seats--front row baby.
You sir, are spoiled. And, of course, I'm quite jealous.

But hey, I can see plays developing better from my perch in the 500's. Small consolation, 'eh?
Old 06-23-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've never quite understood the stopping the clock thing. Intentional grounding is intentional grounding, so hiking it and slamming it to the ground seems to be contrary to the spirit of the rule. I agree about this one.
Literally the rule requires the QB be in the grasp or in imminent danger of being sacked which is why they get away with it. Of course that was a joke at one point last season when Carr got called and there wasn't a defender within 10 yards of him--his WR went out when he anticipated in (or vice versa) so the ball didn't land next to anyone--still he wasn't under pressure. JMO but they should add a clause for obviously trying to stop the clock.
Old 06-23-2006   #9
mapleleaf
Veteran

I think there should some FCC Rules about things like this...like a commercials can only go on during timeouts or only during when players are injured, etc. I mean during basketball games the only time a commercial comes on is during a timeout, same thing should go for the NFL, since they are only 3 times outs allowed I guess we would see less timeouts and higher ratings.
Old 06-23-2006   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

while i agree with everything said about the bad aspects of soccer, i think the clock movement in nfl games is what holds it back from becoming popular worldwide...simply because no other sport that people watch here has 20 commercial breaks in it so we arent used to it and get sick of it....

my gripe with the current system is the break after a PAT/ Kickoff/ punt they arent necessary and really slow down the game..other than that the system is good
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #11
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think in soccer, the team with the ball on the attack gets to continue until the attack is over after time has expired according to the referre.

So, think about the Super Bowl with Tennessee and St. Louis, Tennesse wouldn't have had to worry about the clock on that last drive.

That would be interesting.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the NFL should be more like soccer by getting that magic spray for treating injured ego and fake shin sprains.
Old 06-23-2006   #13
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The clock is such an important part of the game though.....one reason I hate the college OT system. It basically destroys the core game to resolve a tie. You have to manage the clock well if you want to win games....well, unless you are playing college ball.
Totally random thought...

How about in OT each team starts at their own 35 yd line with 2:00 minutes on the clock. Then follow the same format as the college game where each side gets a turn. This way there wouldn't be the gimme FG attempt and teams would have to work their two minute drill to get into scoring range.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #14
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan
Totally random thought...

How about in OT each team starts at their own 35 yd line with 2:00 minutes on the clock. Then follow the same format as the college game where each side gets a turn. This way there wouldn't be the gimme FG attempt and teams would have to work their two minute drill to get into scoring range.
I say just make them kick off. Why take ST out of the game in OT. It's an important part of football.
Old 06-23-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I say they should have the Kickers handwrestle for it at mid field. Handwrestle? Football? Good night.
Old 06-23-2006   #16
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 15 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
From the fake flop injuries...
All of the fake flopping this World Cup is making me sick -- i've played soccer most of my life and have never flopped. Play like MEN dammit.

As for the rest -- the NFL with ZERO or at least half the silly commercials would be awesome, no professional sport should last longer than 2 hours.

Don't get me started on the NBA --- waaaaay too many time-outs etc...
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read