Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What do you think about Ahmad Brooks now?

Any change in possible draft status based on workout?

• Yes,Round 1

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Yes,round 2

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Yes,Round 3

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Yes,Round 4

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Yes,Round 5-7

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • no, still wouldn't take a risk

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

Wolf

100% Texan
Brooks held a workout for pro scouts on June 22 at the University of Virginia. On a 96-degree day and the heat index up at 110, Brooks ran on AstroTurf and worked out on grass that was dried-out. Bengals linebacker coach Ricky Hunley conducted the workout. There were representatives from 31 teams at the workout, with only the Vikings not in attendance. Mike Nolan from the 49ers was the only head coach there. He was joined by San Francisco VP of player personnel Scot McCloughan. Brooks will work out for the 49ers at their place for two days next week. Randy Mueller of the Dolphins, Mike Murphy from the Cowboys and Calvin Branch from the Raiders were also there. Brooks lost 32 pounds in 10 weeks (he was measured at 6-foot-3, 260 pounds) and passed five drug tests in the last 10 weeks. He ran three times, timed at 4.68, 4.75 and 4.74 in the 40, with 10-yard splits of 1.53, 1.58 and 1.58 and 20-yard splits of 2.73, 2.75 and 2.75. His arm span measured 33½ inches and his hands measured 9½. He had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-8 long jump, a 4.43 short shuttle, an 11.84 long shuttle, a 7.43 three-cone drill and 19 benches. The conditions were not really good, just average.

The day before the workout, Brooks met with John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie (GB), had a meeting with Ricky Hunley (CIN) and had dinner with Jerry Reese (NYG).

Brooks, who played linebacker in college but might project as a Julius Peppers-type defensive end in the pros, missed six games with a right knee injury last year. He visited Dr. James Andrews on June 12 for the knee to be examined and that report was made available to all NFL teams.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397

I don't know about any change, but I wouldn't spend more than a third on him. I think we've got some good LBs already on the team and we have some solid depth there.

I am curious on how that measures up with some prospects for 2007 draft..too bad I don't have a crystal ball

The guy wants to play football, he needs help though, is he going to do this after he gets paid, is he still going to stay away from the junk after he is a millionaire??????????

the good sign is in the article says he has passed 5 drug tests in 10 weeks.. that is a start for him to turn himself around

YoungTexanFan said:
Why? How?

That has to be at least 5 laps, but because it's late, I'll knock it down to 3 if you recant now.

He's a worthless dirtbag just like every other player to come from the Al Groh farm.

Loads of players used to have drug issues, and still come out as good players. Chris Carter comes to mind.

rmartin65 said:
Loads of players used to have drug issues, and still come out as good players. Chris Carter comes to mind.

And loads of players have used drugs and ruined their potential--Thomas Hollywood Henderson and Ricky Williams come to mind, with Charles Rogers as an example on the brink.

infantrycak said:
And loads of players have used drugs and ruined their potential--Thomas Hollywood Henderson and Ricky Williams come to mind, with Charles Rogers as an example on the brink.
Those are just the 'name' guys. Over the years there have been thousands and thousands of guys walking around with 'NFL talent', but it is wasted one way or another.

I'd stay away from Brooks. If I were a Bengals fan I'd be really disappointed with my Management team. I can appreciate the Texans staying clear of these kinds of Men if they can help it...and in this case...they can.

infantrycak said:

Darrell Russell was the other name that immediately came to mind. Two Pro Bowls and 28.5 sacks in five years with the Raiders. Bounced out of the league on drug suspensions and addiction.

Happens all the time, much less to players who never make it into the NFL.

Still would not go after him hard. I think our LB core right now is quite competent and with Brooks' baggage I personally wouldn't spend much on him and I doubt the Texans do either. I don't remember seeing him play a whole lot, but if he was a pretty good player and judging from his workout numbers I'd offer up a 4th since it sounds like he's a decent player, but it also sounds like someone will offer something better for him. His current weight looks a little more like a DE than a LB, and they mentioned that he dropped some weight before the workout, although he'll need to get stronger to play DE effectively, or else lose a decent amount of weight for LB, so I'd probably look at him more as a DE, which I think we're also quite solid at with Mario, Peek, Babin, Kalu, and Weaver.

MorKnolle said:
Still would not go after him hard. I think our LB core right now is quite competent and with Brooks' baggage I personally wouldn't spend much on him and I doubt the Texans do either. I don't remember seeing him play a whole lot, but if he was a pretty good player and judging from his workout numbers I'd offer up a 4th since it sounds like he's a decent player, but it also sounds like someone will offer something better for him. His current weight looks a little more like a DE than a LB, and they mentioned that he dropped some weight before the workout, although he'll need to get stronger to play DE effectively, or else lose a decent amount of weight for LB, so I'd probably look at him more as a DE, which I think we're also quite solid at with Mario, Peek, Babin, Kalu, and Weaver.

If you are thinking starters at LB, ok.. but depth wise(if he didn't beat our starters out) wouldn't he be an asset? ..

Brooks set the freshman record for tackles at UVa with 117 for the 2003 season. He also racked up 10 tackles for loss, 4 sacks and 13 quarterback hurries (unofficially). Brooks started every game this season for the Cavaliers. Brooks joined the Cavalier team for the spring semester in 2003 after spending one semester at Hargrave Military Academy. During the spring game in April 2003, Brooks provided highlights for the Cavalier faithful as a preview of things to come. He made several plays in that game that signaled to fans that Brooks was indeed worth the hype that surrounded him as a high school player.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rev=/images?q=ahmad+brooks&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=

Brooks led the Cavaliers in tackles last season and has elevated his game even more as a sophomore. Through eight games, he has 62 tackles, six sacks and two interceptions, tops on the team in each category. He picked off two passes in last Saturday's shutout of Maryland, including one leaping grab 20 yards downfield, and was named the ACC defensive lineman of the week

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...images?q=ahmad+brooks&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

He has good tools and we could use him, but I wouldn't spend more than a 5th on him...I doubt the Texans even make an offer...

Wolf said:
If you are thinking starters at LB, ok.. but depth wise(if he didn't beat our starters out) wouldn't he be an asset? ..

I think depth-wise we're pretty solid as well, I think we have 6-7 fairly solid LBs, and if we're just looking to add depth then I wouldn't spend anything more than a 5th round pick on him, I'm not fond of spending high picks on guys that you don't plan on starting, and either way look what guys like A.J. Nicholson have done since the draft, I don't want to risk a pick of any kind on a guy that might end up getting into more trouble and causing locker room problems for our team.

D-ReK said:
He has good tools and we could use him, but I wouldn't spend more than a 5th on him...I doubt the Texans even make an offer...
I said a forth. So I'm with you. I can understand the gamble with the guys potential. If you're going to gamble on one of the two I'd rather gamble on Dixon. Inspite of what Ron White says, I'll take a little stupid over a little additicted any day. If the titans can get Bullock on line, Dixon shouldn't have too much trouble. JMHO.

Back