Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-22-2006   #1
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10
Default NFL Headcoach

Anyone else pick this up? Crap talk about INVOLVED!!!
Old 06-22-2006   #2
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I'm guessing you got it? I was thinking about it. How is it?
Old 06-22-2006   #3
BradK10
Hall of Fame

if you enjoy the non-playing aspects of Madden more than playing...then pick it up
Old 06-22-2006   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
if you enjoy the non-playing aspects of Madden more than playing...then pick it up
that's all I do I love starting franchises and picking up free agents + trading to make a horrible team a good one. I miss the old ESPN games though because they were very easy to trade in. thanks for the info
Old 06-22-2006   #5
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 12 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Good game im the texans ive been playing for 3 hours and just started preseason. its also very tough to "rip off" the computer with trades. heres the review from ign http://ps2.ign.com/articles/713/713682p1.html
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Can you actually play the games though?
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #7
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 467 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah. I was really looking forward to playing this after making my Texans waaaay too good in madden franchise mode.

Anybody have any comparisons?

Do you get to call plays or something during the games or what do you do there?
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-23-2006   #8
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 467 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFL Head Coach Review
Controlling the Chiefs, I happily traded away Priest Holmes and a draft pick to get Bush in my lineup next to Larry Johnson. Watch out AFC West!
Wait...so we have Priest Holmes on this team now? Do we still have Mario?
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #9
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 12 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_lee
Yeah. I was really looking forward to playing this after making my Texans waaaay too good in madden franchise mode.

Anybody have any comparisons?

Do you get to call plays or something during the games or what do you do there?

yes you get to call the plays and motivate the players.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its pretty coool. AJ Hawk is a beast.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Haven't played this game but I've heard a little about it, and it sounds like it is basically everything that I wish they'd add to Madden franchise mode. Managing your team more in depth is one of the biggest joys on that game to me and I'd like to see that imrpoved, but at the same time I want to actually be able to play the games too.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I've heard it has tons of bugs and some clunky interfaces...I'll wait till version 2 comes out.
Most games generally do on their first release, I doubt I'll ever buy the game as I really like being able to play the games too, I'd be very interested in having them incorporate some of the franchise management tools into Madden.
Old 06-23-2006   #13
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Most games generally do on their first release, I doubt I'll ever buy the game as I really like being able to play the games too, I'd be very interested in having them incorporate some of the franchise management tools into Madden.
They should do that for 07, with the ability to either play as a regular franchise (regular Madden) or an advanced franchise (Headcoach). In the advanced mode you would have all the options of regular, but with all the added stuff. Maybe that would be an interesting combination.
Old 06-23-2006   #14
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I've heard it has tons of bugs and some clunky interfaces...I'll wait till version 2 comes out.
i know of one bug that allows you to negotiate and exit out and not counting a task.

and fully agree on the interfaces...my biggest gripe so far
Old 06-25-2006   #15
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13
They should do that for 07, with the ability to either play as a regular franchise (regular Madden) or an advanced franchise (Headcoach). In the advanced mode you would have all the options of regular, but with all the added stuff. Maybe that would be an interesting combination.
There are a ton of fairly little things like that I wish they'd add for Madden, although I understand them not wanting to make a complete overhaul of the game in one year and end up not having much else to add for the following few years other than updating rosters. They have to make marginal changes each year to keep people interested in buying the game. Here are some changes I'd love to see them make to franchise mode:

-Allow you to run mini-camp drills for more than just one player on your team. It never made much sense to me why you can only train one guy in each drill. They should have some kind of limit and make some kind of age restriction on there to so your 10 year veterans aren't suddenly increasing their acceleration or agility from a drill, but you should be able to run each drill on more than one guy.
-Have some kind of weekly practice plan that will help your guys get better (similar to ESPN NCAA Basketball 2k5). They let you focus your practice time on certain areas (i.e. shooting, defense, rebounding, etc.) so your players would generally increase their skills faster in the area(s) that you concentrated on. Also, ESPN NBA 2k5 allowed you to hire people to come in and train your players in a specific skill which made it more likely that some or all of them would increase in that skill, and you could change the intensity of the training which increased the amount their skill would increase but would also increase the chance of someone getting injured. Maybe it's just me but I thought that was a pretty cool feature.
-Make there be something more you can do with the money you make on there (i.e. after a few years of successfully managing your team it's easy to have $100+ million stored up with nothing to do with it unless you want to build a new fresh stadium every three years). One suggestion is as I mentioned above with hiring people to train all of your players in a specific skill.
-Make progressions a little more realistic. Maybe Madden 06 is better at this, I haven't played that one much, but older versions your rookies and everyone else would have their attributes decrease if they didn't play a certain amount. NCAA football your redshirt guys go up like crazy for not playing, not that they should go up that much in Madden but some players should be able to improve without getting significant playing time in games, especially your young players.
-Make progressions more stat-sensitive. By this I mean right now on Madden they have pre-set levels of improvement by each position, i.e. if your guy had decent overall stats then every skill will go up by a pre-specified amount. I don't know how difficult it would be to change, but I'd like to see a more individualized improvement, i.e. if your RB gets 350 carries in a year and only has 1 fumble then his carrying ability should go up a lot, or if he puts up a ton of yards but fumbles a lot then his carrying should remain the same or maybe even drop while his other skills go up. Same thing for catches, if they get a ton of catches their catching ability should go up much more relative to their other attributes. As I said, I don't know anything about game programming so I don't know how hard that sort of thing would be to create, but if possible that would be cool.
-Make stats in simulated games more realistic. As I've said before I haven't played 06 much so maybe they fixed this, but on 05 and especially 04 when you play thru a year there are usually 6-7 RBs that end up with close to 400 carries and over 2000 yards for the year while most passing teams don't put up very impressive stats. I wish they'd change that up to balance things out a bit and make it a little more realistic. I remember one year I simulated thru that LT had 500+ carries for 2700+ yards for San Diego which would kill any player to run the ball that much. I also wish a team that ran a 3-4 defense would build more towards a 3-4 defense in that they would look for bigger DLinemen that would fit the system rather than still going for any DEs.
-Get rid of the superstar mode or whatever it was called. In the brief time I played Madden 06 that new mode where you take over a single player and develop him was not very good at all, so they should take it out all together or drastically change it.

Those are just a few of my ideas on what I'd like to see, maybe I'm taking the whole thing a little too seriously.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 06-25-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2006   #16
marroncito
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
-Get rid of the superstar mode or whatever it was called. In the brief time I played Madden 06 that new mode where you take over a single player and develop him was not very good at all, so they should take it out all together or drastically change it.
07 has a major overhaul of the Superstar mode. If your an Olineman the camera angle and moves are different than if your a CB, etc. They actually developed moves for each position so that you can play the game more from a position.
marroncito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's called "Hall of Fame" mode (instead of superstar mode). You pick a player, and play his position throughout his career. For instance, if you're a WR, the cpu will handle the defense while the offense is on the sideline.

I didn't mind the superstar mode of Madden '06 too much. It was kind of fun, but I'll admit I never got past a couple of seasons with it.

I'm definitely getting a 360 for Madden this year. Hopefully EA put a lot more effort into this year's version beyond just graphical enhancements, because Madden '06 on the 360 blew chunks. I stayed with the Xbox version just to have a complete package.
Old 06-26-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
From what I understand this was a part of the madden '07 franchise at one time but they decided to split it out and make a franchise with it since they thought it could stand alone.
And for the additional $. Hopefully they will remerge the two since they fit very well together and are separated for no apparently good reason. I am predicting for 08 or 09. Headcoach will see decent sales but maybe not enough to warrant separate publishing. They could easily just tab it as something that can be turned off for franchise mode for those of us who don't want it. I have heard EA is very carefully releasing progressive developments so as to get the most mileage out of their resales. Supposedly they have the next 3-4 years of content laid out and essentially designed. Most of the franchise/stat/player progressions are simple formulas and nothing more. They either haven't stumbled onto the obvious or are stocking it for later revision.
Old 06-26-2006   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I have heard EA is very carefully releasing progressive developments so as to get the most mileage out of their resales. Supposedly they have the next 3-4 years of content laid out and essentially designed. Most of the franchise/stat/player progressions are simple formulas and nothing more. They either haven't stumbled onto the obvious or are stocking it for later revision.
It is definitely part of EA's business strategy, and always has been.

I've been one of the suckers that buys a new Madden game every year (except when NFL2k came out, circa 2000). This addiction of mine started with the first console Madden was on, the Sega Genesis (back in 1991).

With each new generation of console hardware - Genesis/NES > Saturn/PS1/SNES > Dreamcast/Xbox/PS2/N64 > 360/PS3/Wii - EA releases a very bare minimum version of Madden at the beginning of the cycle. Then each year they add little features - along with roster updates/graphical enhancements - to make us fanatics buy yet another version. The 360 version last year just proved my point. The Xbox and PS2 versions were loaded with features, but the most powerful console (360) got diddly squat.

It's a bit aggravating, because they know what they are doing. But hey, that's business, and it's my own choice to purchase it or not. Of course, they are the only game in town for video football now, so if I want my fix, I've only got one place to get it.
Old 06-26-2006   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
It is definitely part of EA's business strategy, and always has been.

I've been one of the suckers that buys a new Madden game every year (except when NFL2k came out, circa 2000). This addiction of mine started with the first console Madden was on, the Sega Genesis (back in 1991).

With each new generation of console hardware - Genesis/NES > Saturn/PS1/SNES > Dreamcast/Xbox/PS2/N64 > 360/PS3/Wii - EA releases a very bare minimum version of Madden at the beginning of the cycle. Then each year they add little features - along with roster updates/graphical enhancements - to make us fanatics buy yet another version. The 360 version last year just proved my point. The Xbox and PS2 versions were loaded with features, but the most powerful console (360) got diddly squat.

It's a bit aggravating, because they know what they are doing. But hey, that's business, and it's my own choice to purchase it or not. Of course, they are the only game in town for video football now, so if I want my fix, I've only got one place to get it.
I remember Madden on the Genesis days. Played it off and on in those years and became a regular once again in 2003. Have been playing tournaments, etc. ever since, though I have more or less taken 06 off. Would still love to play you or anyone else on this board. Maybe we can put together an MB tourney somewhere, some time? I have organized tourneys before and the hardest part, bar none, was conforming it to would-be participants' schedules.

The 360 release pissed me off but that had more to do with making release date than a deliberate gutting of features. There is so much missing from that game, it's not even funny. I've heard (and it makes sense to me: there was a time where I and my business partner were very seriously pursuing video game design and we were tied into the industry pretty well. I do recommend gamasutra.com for detailed "industry insider" takes if you're interested) that it was more for purposes of making release and knowing that whatever few diehards owned the 360 would buy it any way. A comparatively very small market at the time so it wasn't as important from a sales/brand standpoint.

I don't mind purchasing the new and slightly improved edition every year, and I've got my calendar circled for this year's (what is it, Aug 9? don't remember offhand.) Just annoys me to see them rather deliberately avoid some of the features that would be easily implemented. Things like AI, general engine including controls and collision detection, graphics, and even detailed and correct situational commentary, are harder to program, and I don't mind the marginal improvements. Things like stat tracking and player skill progression are ridiculously easy: a matter of writing simple algebraic formulas and testing them (tweaking if necessary) to provide the desired results. Like MorKnolle pointed out, the player progression and simulated stat formulas have left something to be desired.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read