Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-22-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Denver Offense 101

Fanblog: Texans "Changing the color of the Bronco playbook"

You prolly know the basic stuff about the offense. But there is some other statistical stuff about the Denver offense that you might not know.

Just trying to talk about some next year stuff some.
Old 06-22-2006   #2
Tex Trenches
Veteran

Hey Texans Chick I just sent you an e-mail write me back if you are intrested.
Old 06-22-2006   #3
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

The one cut and go mantra for the runningbacks is telling. I think this is the problem Morency is having from what I have read.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #4
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 33364 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice read TC. I'm now officially too excited to wait any longer.
Old 06-22-2006   #5
jmerog
Veteran

excellent as ussual, TC. You have a promising future as a sports journalist. I have enjoted your articles far more than those of justice or McClain. kudos
Old 06-22-2006   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Trenches
Hey Texans Chick I just sent you an e-mail write me back if you are intrested.

Hmmm, didn't get it. I'll check again later.
Old 06-22-2006   #7
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks, TC! That certainly makes the draft and fa moves crystal clear. I can't wait for the season to start.
Go Texans!
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2006   #8
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 39800 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems pretty clear the coaches will evaluate run blocking skills in their lineman as well as pass blocking, which has been the main focus on this board.
Old 06-22-2006   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I've been saying we'll avg between 25 & 30 points......

This "blog" gives me evidence to support this gut feeling.

Thanks TC....
Old 06-22-2006   #10
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I've been saying we'll avg between 25 & 30 points......

This "blog" gives me evidence to support this gut feeling.

Thanks TC....
If your gut feeling is right we're going to win a lot of games this year
Old 06-22-2006   #11
clandestin
Veteran

I wonder how the sports editor feels after having a fan waltz in to the room to provide the best Texans coverage the chronicle has had to date. Focusing on a how a new Texans' offense and defense may look instead of having an unhealthy obsession with local college players and former NFL organizations--Texans_Chick you are a genius! Love the column, keep up the good work.
Old 06-23-2006   #12
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2723 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestin
I wonder how the sports editor feels after having a fan waltz in to the room to provide the best Texans coverage the chronicle has had to date. Focusing on a how a new Texans' offense and defense may look instead of having an unhealthy obsession with local college players and former NFL organizations--Texans_Chick you are a genius! Love the column, keep up the good work.
Great column TC. Fact and humor in one big gulp. Excellent idea....maybe while you're holding Jr. for ransom you can get a raise from the Chronicle. I think they should double your salary!
bayoudreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn
Great column TC. Fact and humor in one big gulp. Excellent idea....maybe while you're holding Jr. for ransom you can get a raise from the Chronicle. I think they should double your salary!
I am guessing that there isn't much noticing by the big boss sports editors of what I'm writing. There was actually a bigtime delay in posting my last post because the online editor was bombarded with all things Roger Clemens and Rice University baseball. Maybe that will change some come football season.

As for "doubling my salary," one of the first things that really stuck with me about learning multiplication as a kid is that if you take zero, and you multiply it with anything else, you always end up with zero.
Old 06-23-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 272221 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Well maybe they'll triple your salary......
Old 06-23-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 368131 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article. Bronco Tim qualified his statement about not relying on the long ball, but to give an idea, here is a comparison of long gains:

The 1st number is 20+ yd receptions and the 2nd is 40+ yds. The order is by total passing yards.

Tom Brady 59/9
Trent Green 51/11
Brett Favre 40/7
Carson Palmer 43/9
Eli Manning 49/8
Kerry Collins 49/6
Peyton Manning 45/6
Drew Bledsoe 42/9
Drew Brees 46/4
Matt Hasselbeck 41/7
Jake Delhomme 44/13
Jake Plummer 44/8
Steve McNair 29/7
Mark Brunnell 36/9

Rather than having a noticeably absent long game--the Broncos were right in line with other teams with only NE standing out in the long ball category.
Old 06-23-2006   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Rather than having a noticeably absent long game--the Broncos were right in line with other teams with only NE standing out in the long ball category.
Kind of interesting about NE. Personally, they never come to mind if I were thinking about teams that go long a lot. Manning, Farve and maybe Cullpepper are the guys/teams that would be the one that one would expect, but not Brady and NE.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #17
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Kind of interesting about NE. Personally, they never come to mind if I were thinking about teams that go long a lot. Manning, Farve and maybe Cullpepper are the guys/teams that would be the one that one would expect, but not Brady and NE.
Despite what some think, may be Houston this year. We have the receivers to do it.....
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 356170 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
The philosophy of the offense is to use SHORT, SAFE passing routes and balance these with a strong running game. The object is to control the ball for long periods of time and march methodically down the field. It doesn't rely on deep passing routes or Hall of Fame runners who can bust out for 40, 50, 60 yards at a clip. It's the SCHEME, not the personnel, that has made the Broncos successful.
Thank you. I've been trying to stress that fundamentals - ie. ball control with a strong running attack coupled with a consistent passing game - are the cornerstones of Denver's (and Kubiak's) gameplan.

Which leads me to a point about David Carr's role on the offense. We don't need him to be a superstar - one that is making huge passes and amazing runs. We need him to manage games, to read defenses and make the proper adjustment at the line, to see pressure and react accordingly. And I think DC is fully capable of playing that role on this team, and if anyone can teach him, it'll be Coach Kubiak.

But the running game is the first aspect, followed closely about protecting the pocket. Without that one-two tandem, the full effectiveness of this scheme falls apart.

Thanks, TC! Another excellent article on your part.
Old 06-23-2006   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's because she loves the Texans, and those other guys seem to be writing about the Texans because they "have to" in order to get a paycheck.

It's beyond me why a newspaper bankrolls guys like McClain who honestly offer less about our team than what one of our own fans has been able to piece together. Keep it up, TC.
Old 06-23-2006   #20
TemeculaMike
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
I'll grant you its basically the West Coast offense. But I think your article misses an important element of what makes the Broncos offensive system work.

As you can see by my Avatar, I am a Chargers (and Texans) fan and have first hand knowledge of what makes the Broncos system work. If I were writing your article I would rewrite this line:

Quote:
The Broncos-style offense is merely a modification of the so- called "West Coast Offense," popularized by Bill Walsh's San Francisco 49ers in the Nineties.
With this
The Broncos-style offense is merely a crossof the so- called "West Coast Offense," popularized by Bill Walsh's San Francisco 49ers in the Nineties and dirty play of the Oakland Raiders.

At the heart of the Broncos offensive system is the "cut-block" and "chop-block." The Broncos offensive line strikes fear in the hearts and minds of opposing defensive lineman due to their penchant to cut-block when defensive players are not looking. By teaching their offensive linement to hit defensive players below the knee "...opposing defensive players start worrying about their knees and ankles. They lose a bit of their aggression and speed since they’re paranoid that some lineman is going to creep up on them and take out their legs. This has the benefit of slowing down the entire defense." (source)
I hope the Texans are successful and Carr stops setting records for most sacks against. The one area the Texans can improve is the o-line play and Kubiak will certainly help. Just be prepared for longer games do to injury time-outs when the Texans offense is on the field.
TemeculaMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read