Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


The National Football League League News & Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006   #1
ExistentialistMZ
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8
Rep Power: 0 ExistentialistMZ is ridin' the pine
Default Shoulda Picked "D" brick

The thing that amazes me more and more is that people are bashing passing up reggie bush and Vince Young.

The facts are quite simple. You draft for need. Not talent.

Texans have a good QB, two good WR's, a great RB, a good FB. Two good TE's. And maybe as many as three or four good TE's.

Drafting Putzier was smart because it helps beef up the line. While some additions were made to the o-line. The fact is guys like D-Brick and Nick Mangold woulda made the best choices.

Mario Williams is no doubt a good pick. He has the moves of Kearse. But he's younger and stronger. And that is dangerous.

But lets face it. The defense is pretty good already. The problem is, as we saw in philly, if your offense can't stay on the field than your D will be torn down.

A better O-line would have creating more time for the pass and better rushing lanes for Davis.

The fact is that RB and QB's rarely work out in the NFL. But the top lineman usually are at least quality starters.

Plus lineman can step right in and play.

The question i pose to you people is, are you happy with the offensive line you have? Facing in week one, Howard, Kearse, Bunlkey, Cole, Patterson, Walker, and Run stopping trotter. Plus a team that loves to send people like Brian Dawkins to blitz.

I think that if the o-line stands up to them. Than the Texans are going to have a great year. But i think more likely they will lose the game because of that weakness and the strength of the Eagles defense.And i think that mentally will impact the team badly.

so what do you think? is the o-line better, was williams the best choice, and can they take the eagles revamped d-line?
ExistentialistMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #2
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialistMZ
Texans have a good QB, two good WR's, a great RB, a good FB. Two good TE's. And maybe as many as three or four good TE's.
I think your good and great should be switched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialistMZ
Drafting Putzier was smart because it helps beef up the line. While some additions were made to the o-line. The fact is guys like D-Brick and Nick Mangold woulda made the best choices. .
That statement is so whacked im not even gonna touch it...wait yeah i will...We didn't draft putzier, we signed him, and he's a tight end...that being said...what four tightends were you refferring to...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialistMZ
But lets face it. The defense is pretty good already. The problem is, as we saw in philly, if your offense can't stay on the field than your D will be torn down.
I think our defense was actually ranked lower than our offense last season if im not mistaken...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialistMZ
The fact is that RB and QB's rarely work out in the NFL. But the top lineman usually are at least quality starters.
Plus lineman can step right in and play.
The question i pose to you people is, are you happy with the offensive line you have? Facing in week one, Howard, Kearse, Bunlkey, Cole, Patterson, Walker, and Run stopping trotter. Plus a team that loves to send people like Brian Dawkins to blitz.
Ever heard of Mike Williams From Texas ? Why do you say running back a QB barely work out? They may get more attention when they bust, but lineman bust too...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #3
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame
 
ledzeppelin229's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Spring / San Marcos, TX
Age: 29
Posts: 6,829
Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229
Default

I'm trying to figure out if he just took everything that makes sense and flipped it backwards. I think truroyalty did a pretty good job of addressing all your "points" though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn
godzmn young fomkss are slow. they can all kissmy ass.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame
 
TexanFan881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Illinois
Age: 24
Posts: 2,801
Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881
Default

The D was horrible last year. Worse than the offense. It was obvious we needed some pressure on the QB. I think we have OL that are capable of being good under the right circumstances and hopefully the additions of Gary Kubiak and Mike Sherman will solve those problems. Also, D'Brick was definately worth the #1 pick.
__________________
Proud Adoptee Of Our Future Starting Running Back Chris Taylor
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #5
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame
 
MorKnolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,210
Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle
Default

We got a 1st round quality OT in Eric Winston at the #66 pick (I prefered him to D'Brick anyways) and Charles Spencer should end up being a very solid OT too, so yes I'm happy with our OLine for now. I would have liked to get an interior OLineman somewhere in there, but we're ok for now, and drafting Mario Williams was definitely the best choice. He's the most rare type of freakish athlete available in the draft and we really needed an improved pass rush for our new defense, and D'Brickashaw absolutely was not worth the 1st pick in the draft and we apparently couldn't get a decent trade down offer. Our OLine will be much improved with our new system and coaching, and while Kearse, Darren Howard, Brodrick Bunkley (I would have loved to somehow get him in the draft too), and Darwin Walker are a pretty daunting task for our OLine the first game, but it should give us a good gauge of how good our line will really be and point out to our coaches which guys may not be able to hack it (I'm guessing if Wand is somehow still starting by week 1 I'm predicting that he won't be starting much longer after that).
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #6
Bullpen Drew
All Pro
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 43
Posts: 737
Rep Power: 10 Bullpen Drew is ridin' the pine
Default

Shoulda woulda coulda!

BLAH!
__________________
Our time is coming.....

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #7
axman40
Hall of Fame
 
axman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin
Age: 52
Posts: 21,314
Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpen Drew
Shoulda woulda coulda!

BLAH!
Well said and I concur!
__________________
“The highway’s jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.”
axman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2006   #8
Hutch13
List of demands
 
Hutch13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,233
Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13
Default

wow sooo many mistakes please post a thread with correct info
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru
 
awtysst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,611
Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialistMZ
The thing that amazes me more and more is that people are bashing passing up reggie bush and Vince Young.

The facts are quite simple. You draft for need. Not talent.

Texans have a good QB, two good WR's, a great RB, a good FB. Two good TE's. And maybe as many as three or four good TE's.

Drafting Putzier was smart because it helps beef up the line. While some additions were made to the o-line. The fact is guys like D-Brick and Nick Mangold woulda made the best choices.

Mario Williams is no doubt a good pick. He has the moves of Kearse. But he's younger and stronger. And that is dangerous.

But lets face it. The defense is pretty good already. The problem is, as we saw in philly, if your offense can't stay on the field than your D will be torn down.

A better O-line would have creating more time for the pass and better rushing lanes for Davis.

The fact is that RB and QB's rarely work out in the NFL. But the top lineman usually are at least quality starters.

Plus lineman can step right in and play.

The question i pose to you people is, are you happy with the offensive line you have? Facing in week one, Howard, Kearse, Bunlkey, Cole, Patterson, Walker, and Run stopping trotter. Plus a team that loves to send people like Brian Dawkins to blitz.

I think that if the o-line stands up to them. Than the Texans are going to have a great year. But i think more likely they will lose the game because of that weakness and the strength of the Eagles defense.And i think that mentally will impact the team badly.

so what do you think? is the o-line better, was williams the best choice, and can they take the eagles revamped d-line?

Wow. A lot of factual errors.

1. Which "good TEs" do we have before the draft? BJ? Putzier, no cant be because...

2. We did not draft putzier, we signed him. He is a mutliyear vet

3. Nick Mangold? he wasnt on the board when we selected. He was a Jet. Besides we got possibly the steal fo the draft in our second rounder

4. The defense is pretty good? Were we watchign the same team last year? Did we both see a defense give up so many late 4th quarter leads? Did we both see a Defense that couldnt put pressure on the Qb, couldnt cover the ball, and played matador style?

5. "The fact is that RB and QB's rarely work out in the NFL". WHAT? how can a QB and RB rarley work out. How exactly is your team gonna do anything if you have no QB and no RB? Do you mean "first round" Qbs or RBS?

6. Linman can start right away:actually stud running backs can step in right away. Look at Alex barron, need I say more?

7. I am waitign to see what O-line we have. I am high on Eric Winston and Spencer and I think Flannigan will be a big help(and can help tutor Hog). So i am excitied to see this new line.
__________________
Draft Guru: 91.43% accuracy through first 35 picks from 2006-present

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame
 
texan279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rosenberg TX
Age: 35
Posts: 5,612
Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialistMZ
The thing that amazes me more and more is that people are bashing passing up reggie bush and Vince Young.

The facts are quite simple. You draft for need. Not talent.

Texans have a good QB, two good WR's, a great RB, a good FB. Two good TE's. And maybe as many as three or four good TE's.

Drafting Putzier was smart because it helps beef up the line. While some additions were made to the o-line. The fact is guys like D-Brick and Nick Mangold woulda made the best choices.

Mario Williams is no doubt a good pick. He has the moves of Kearse. But he's younger and stronger. And that is dangerous.

But lets face it. The defense is pretty good already. The problem is, as we saw in philly, if your offense can't stay on the field than your D will be torn down.

A better O-line would have creating more time for the pass and better rushing lanes for Davis.

The fact is that RB and QB's rarely work out in the NFL. But the top lineman usually are at least quality starters.

Plus lineman can step right in and play.

The question i pose to you people is, are you happy with the offensive line you have? Facing in week one, Howard, Kearse, Bunlkey, Cole, Patterson, Walker, and Run stopping trotter. Plus a team that loves to send people like Brian Dawkins to blitz.

I think that if the o-line stands up to them. Than the Texans are going to have a great year. But i think more likely they will lose the game because of that weakness and the strength of the Eagles defense.And i think that mentally will impact the team badly.

so what do you think? is the o-line better, was williams the best choice, and can they take the eagles revamped d-line?
IMO with the 1st overall pick you draft the most talented guy. Mario may not have been the most talented guy in the draft, but he was a top 5 pick as far as talent goes IMO, maybe a top 3, and he also filled a need.
texan279 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #11
Eagles78
Rookie
 
Eagles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 72
Rep Power: 9 Eagles78 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I think your good and great should be switched...



That statement is so whacked im not even gonna touch it...wait yeah i will...We didn't draft putzier, we signed him, and he's a tight end...that being said...what four tightends were you refferring to...




I think our defense was actually ranked lower than our offense last season if im not mistaken...




Ever heard of Mike Williams From Texas ? Why do you say running back a QB barely work out? They may get more attention when they bust, but lineman bust too...
Just take the damn compliment
Eagles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 47
Posts: 30,682
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpen Drew
Shoulda woulda coulda!

BLAH!
My thoughts exactly.

"The facts are quite simple" and "The defense is pretty good already" are creating a rift in the space/time continuum that threatens to suck our reality into a vortex of unknown dimensions.

I sincerely hope he takes those statements back soon (or at least one of them), because together, in the same thread, is threatening the very existence of humanity.
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame
 
TexanSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 27
Posts: 17,071
Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I sincerely hope he takes those statements back soon (or at least one of them), because together, in the same thread, is threatening the very existence of humanity.
I don't think he's going to post in this thread again...
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger