Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-19-2006   #1
Zac
Rookie

Default Is Influx of New Players driving up unrealistic Expectations?

I know I don't hear anyone talking Superbowl, but the excitement seems to be off the radar for the upcoming season. It seems to me that the Expectations of victories keep going up each time I read about the Texans.

The team that takes the field in September will not be at all like the team that lost 14 games las season.

But did this team get 7 or 8 victories better as opposed to 2 or 3?

I think the Texans are headed in the Right Direction, but I don't think Talent alone gets Victories. A team must come together, that is something that will be the real work here. Having guys know their teamates weakenesses and covering them up with other players strengh.

I'm Excited about the Texans, but seeing the Texans play and come together is to me more important next season than victories. If the team plays well, the table will be set for success for years to come!!!
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #2
The Preacher
Veteran

I agree it would be hard to believe if we jumped to 9 ot 10 wins but it is definitely accomplishable. The way I see it is we will be 2 or 3 wins better than the 7 or 8 win team we should have had last year. The 05' Texans were in my opinion one of the most underperforming poorly coached teams in history. They found ways to lose 3 or 4 games that were simply horrific. They played a close to the vest style that exemplified a complacent aggressiveness and misutilized resources of uncompromised fathomobility. Personally I will be shocked if we don't have a winning record as the time to expect winning is upon us. No more try to win with a field goal philosophy. That might have been more frustrating than all the losing; the fact they never had the confidence to just go out win a football game in a dominating fashion, even if maybe they were outmanned on paper.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #3
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Get your hopes up..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac
I know I don't hear anyone talking Superbowl, but the excitement seems to be off the radar for the upcoming season. It seems to me that the Expectations of victories keep going up each time I read about the Texans.

The team that takes the field in September will not be at all like the team that lost 14 games las season.

I think the Texans are headed in the Right Direction, but I don't think Talent alone gets Victories. A team must come together, that is something that will be the real work here. Having guys know their teamates weakenesses and covering them up with other players strengh.

I'm Excited about the Texans, but seeing the Texans play and come together is to me more important next season than victories. If the team plays well, the table will be set for success for years to come!!!
Yes.........We lost what was it 6 games by 3 to 6 points or less.

I will say it 1st- Think Superbowl.............Let me tell all of you to get your HOPES up this year, I dont think you will be dissapointed.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #4
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Yes.........We lost what was it 6 games by 3 to 6 points or less.

I will say it 1st- Think Superbowl.............Let me tell all of you to get your HOPES up this year, I dont think you will be dissapointed.
I have been saying 13-3 for a very long time and have taken a lot of heat. I would say right now the biggest problem is DD or an equivalent replacement. If DD is healthy then we are a very difficult club to defend. Our defense is a question mark until we see it on the field. You can say the same for the offense, but I think we can have more confidence in it than the defense at this point. You can look at people like AJ, Putzier, Moulds, DD (if healthy) and Carr with an O-line that is getting a lot better and say you can have confidence in the Offense. Its not that I don't have confidence in the defense I just want to see how its being put together. The preseason games are going to tell us a lot about this ball club.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

First of all this is exactly the time of year to be predicting Super Bowl berths and outrageous win totals. It's June for crying out loud. That means every fan of every NFL team is at peak optimism as well as peak frustration.

Second I have to admit that I'd be over rating the improvement if I felt this good about the team based on nothing more than the personnel turnover. Fortunately that's not what has me this fired up. I'm far more excited about the new coaching staff than I am about the new players.
Old 06-19-2006   #6
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I'm not gonna go to 13-3 but i think you are right, we had a lot of close winnable games last year that we blew in the 3rd and 4th quarter with poor coaching and poor execution, we at times looked lost like we didnt know how to put the game away. I think the better coaching should turn that into 6 to 8 more wins, 10-6 or 9-7 are verry doable in my oppinion. in the AFC that prolly wont get us into the playoffs, but we could squeak in to the last wildcard spot. Good Luck to us!
Old 06-19-2006   #7
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
First of all this is exactly the time of year to be predicting Super Bowl berths and outrageous win totals. It's June for crying out loud. That means every fan of every NFL team is at peak optimism as well as peak frustration.

Second I have to admit that I'd be over rating the improvement if I felt this good about the team based on nothing more than the personnel turnover. Fortunately that's not what has me this fired up. I'm far more excited about the new coaching staff than I am about the new players.
Yes, Herv coaching is and has been a big element of my forcast. However, we have picked up players to go along with the coaching. Offensively we could be a real force to deal with on any given Sunday. The defense is the question mark, but it looks like its coming together as well. It would appear that our O-lines and D-lines will no longer be a problem. That's where offense and defense begins. I believe our Defense is going to be a whole lot better simply because I believe we are going to have an extemely good rush and penitration by the D-line. We haven't seen that in a while and that should help the rest of the defense to improve quite a bit. If I adjust my forcast upward or downward it will be the result of what I see in the preseason games. Right now, I'm extemely optomistic and feel everyone should be. I think we have a bunch of winners, not loosers on this ball club.
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac

I've been saying we'll go 13-3, and host the AFC Championship game. Until I see something that makes me think otherwise, I'm sticking to it.

I honestly think we were a playoff team last year..... we went 2-14, but it wasn't because we didn't belong on the field. As poorly as we did play, we missed many games, by a mistake, or a bad call, or a bad play.

Our offensive line play was horrendous........ but I thought they were more unprepared, than outclassed....

If we were a little more aggresive, we would have won more games, & got into the playoffs....

We've got a new coaching staff, that will take care of the unprepared problem, the aggresive problem, and keep our boys playing for 60 minutes....

Talent wise.... I see some definite upgrades... on what I thought was a young talented team to begin with...... we've also brought in some veterans, who are talented...... and some young talent.....

I think we're going to shock the league next year.....

if we go 2-14 next year, I won't be broken hearted or anything. I won't be singing praises to all the "more realistic" fans either.

But SuperBowl........... mark my words. We'll either get there this year, or we'll learn what we need to do better to get there in 2008.
Old 06-19-2006   #9
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer
I'm not gonna go to 13-3 but i think you are right, we had a lot of close winnable games last year that we blew in the 3rd and 4th quarter with poor coaching and poor execution, we at times looked lost like we didnt know how to put the game away. I think the better coaching should turn that into 6 to 8 more wins, 10-6 or 9-7 are verry doable in my oppinion. in the AFC that prolly wont get us into the playoffs, but we could squeak in to the last wildcard spot. Good Luck to us!
Our conference is simply not going to be as strong as in the past. The Colts appear to be vulnerable, particularly if you can get to Payton. That's what the Steelers did and it would appear we have the potential to do that. Everyone has lost key personnel except for us. I'm assuming DD comes back healthy. This year we can beat everyone in the conference on any given day and I think we can beat them on most days. Don't be surprised if we aren't the conference champs.
Old 06-19-2006   #10
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I, for one, thought the Texans weren't as bad as their 2-14 record last year. A couple of plays in several games and this team is 6-10 to 7-9. Bengals, Ravens, Titans, Rams, 49ers all could have, and in a couple of cases, should have been wins. You could also throw the game in Jacksonville in there too. And to be fair, they very easily could have lost the Cleveland game, but that still comes out to around 6-10, 7-9 had one or two plays been made in each of those games. I believe this new coaching staff alone turns at least 3 of those losses into wins.

So to say this team improves by 5 or 6 wins this year, to me means they very well could reach 11-5. No, I won't make that my official prediction....yet. I mean I predicted 8-8 to 10-6 last year.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #11
TexansCM
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 TexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVP

I think the best addition to the team is the quality depth that was acquired in the offseason. We got Moulds, Putzier, Flanagan, etc as starters, but we also shored up a problem that effects every NFL team, Injuries. Also those close games in the 3rd and 4th quarters, we will be well rested due to substitutions during the game. Last year when key players (AJ for one) went down there were average players filling in. This year those backups are fighting for a starting spot and that means if someone goes down or is not living up to expectations we have a guy to fill in. My biggest concern is depth at CB and RB (but the Kubiak system should take care of the RB). 10-6 at least.
TexansCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #12
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCM
I think the best addition to the team is the quality depth that was acquired in the offseason. We got Moulds, Putzier, Flanagan, etc as starters, but we also shored up a problem that effects every NFL team, Injuries. Also those close games in the 3rd and 4th quarters, we will be well rested due to substitutions during the game. Last year when key players (AJ for one) went down there were average players filling in. This year those backups are fighting for a starting spot and that means if someone goes down or is not living up to expectations we have a guy to fill in. My biggest concern is depth at CB and RB (but the Kubiak system should take care of the RB). 10-6 at least.
The 3rd and 4th Qtr issues may well have been in part the result of training methods imployed by the previous staff. I happen to be one who feels that was a large contributing factor to our tiring particularly in the 4th qtr. We will have to wait and see.
Old 06-19-2006   #13
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

i'm sticking to my 6 - 10 prediction.
Old 06-19-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, it seems like the players have made the first step to being successful and that is to believe in their system. With any team they have to believe in a system to be successful. I think they've shown that.

I wont be disappointed with a 7-9 record but I am expecting a winning one this season because they are my favorite team but because the players have expressed their excitement and belief in our system.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #15
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Our conference is simply not going to be as strong as in the past. The Colts appear to be vulnerable, particularly if you can get to Payton. That's what the Steelers did and it would appear we have the potential to do that. Everyone has lost key personnel except for us. I'm assuming DD comes back healthy. This year we can beat everyone in the conference on any given day and I think we can beat them on most days. Don't be surprised if we aren't the conference champs.
I think yer right but I also think the Texans still have some demons to shrug off this year, if we stay healthy and relatively intact, I see us fighting for conference next year, I just dont see us at the maturity and confidence level to do that this year, its a new system on both sides of the ball with probably at least 7 new starters. Thats just a steep hill to climb IMHO.
Old 06-19-2006   #16
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCM
My biggest concern is depth at CB and RB (but the Kubiak system should take care of the RB). 10-6 at least.
RB doesnt concern me, but CB DEFINETLY does.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #17
EF55
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
The 3rd and 4th Qtr issues may well have been in part the result of training methods imployed by the previous staff. I happen to be one who feels that was a large contributing factor to our tiring particularly in the 4th qtr. We will have to wait and see.
I think losing makes you feel tired faster as well, It's amazing how much more energy you have when you're winning.
EF55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #18
HOOK'EM
Veteran

I still got us going 9-7. Having a Miami 05' type of turn around. After going 1-15 in 04' (only beating the Pats) they picked up Saban in the offseason added some key players. They had a slow start in 05', but finished winning their last 6 games. I think they will beat out the Pats for their division this year. Now compair the Texans, we had our down year in 05' winning only 2 games. In the offseason added new coaches (Kubiak & staff) and some key players. The start of our 06' season is pretty brutal, but if we could win a couple and give our team a little time to gel. The second half of our season we should be looking pretty dang good! Then in 07' have a real good shot at taking the AFC South!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #19
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
RB doesnt concern me, but CB DEFINETLY does.
I firmly believe Kubiak is not done padding the RB and DB positions, he did make a comment about feeling good about the DB Position, but I think any coach would make a coment like that to keep morale up.
Old 06-19-2006   #20
carter08
truth.

Rep Power: 70 carter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to carter08

I think the reason for the high expectations is that Dom Capers is gone.
New players are good, but Kubiac brings talent to the coaching staff.
Capers was an alright head coach, but he couldn't pick assistants
carter08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read