Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NT Kendrick Clancy cut

Steelers | Clancy Cut - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 14:50:52 -0700

Steelers.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have released NT Kendrick Clancy.

----------------------------------------

Was it hard letting a guy like Kendrick Clancy go?
Kendrick is a good football player. A guy like Chris Hoke came on, and it wasn’t Kendrick’s fault. He got hurt the second day and was never able to come back and compete for the job. It opened it up for Chris Hoke and he took advantage of it and played very well in the preseason and played himself onto this roster. Kendrick did not play himself off. (Hoke) had a very productive preseason. (coach Bill Cowher)

Do you have to have an injury settlement with Kendrick?
No. He was supposedly ready to go next week. The timing of it was just not good for him. (coach Bill Cowher)

----------------------------------------

I think we should take a hard look at this guy. If he catches on with anyone, let it be us. He knows the 3-4 very well, he can come right in and give us solid minutes at NT, one of our weakest positions.

What does everyone think of him?

Fiddy

All Pro
I would love to pick up Clancy...
keyfro said:
well yeah we would be a good pick up but why did the steelers release him
Genuine said:
A guy like Chris Hoke came on, and it wasn’t Kendrick’s fault. He got hurt the second day and was never able to come back and compete for the job. It opened it up for Chris Hoke and he took advantage of it and played very well in the preseason and played himself onto this roster. Kendrick did not play himself off. (Hoke) had a very productive preseason. (coach Bill Cowher)

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
this is one the few of these we should pick up ____ posts that makes sense to me...I would be happy to see this one assumng dude is healthy

pittbull

Rookie
Talking about depth, I saw this guy play in Pittsburgh, and maybe he rubbed Cowher the wrong way, but this guy is a baller when he is healthy. I think a coach like Capers, no nonsense, would light a fire under him and he would be a great asset. He already knows the 3-4 scheme, and we need all the depth as possible. On a line that was unhealthy last season, Payne and G-Funk still a little banged up, and most likely is better than DeLoach, I say the Texans sign him! :headbang:

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Tulip said:
Who gets cut to make room for him?
Troy Evans. Don't get me wrong or anything because I like Evans a lot. I just would rather we had one more serious D lineman and think the world wouldn't end if we had one less LB.

Depth at DL was a glaring need last year. We saw what happens when second string DL starts and third string DL backs of the second string DL. I am all for any quality depth.

texan279

Hall of Fame
I understand what all of you guys are saying, that depth on the D line is important, but IMO you can't just start getting rid of guys just to load up depth on the D line. I think so many people are concentrating on our D line this year because it was so banged up last year. Someone on this post suggested getting rid of Troy Evans to pick up Kendrick Clancy. Then what happens if Sharper and Foreman go down with injuries this season and the D line stays healthy. Then you have Polk and Bell playing ILB and you have Sears, Ioane, Deloach, Anderson, and Clancy giving our starting three a rest now and then or riding the bench. All I am saying is I think we should have good depth at all positions, not a ton of depth at one position while having to take roster spots from other positions, leaving other positions vulnerable.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I don't know we could all revisit the JJ vs. Starling debate lol: Actually the NT position would be the one position we need depth at. DeLoach has performed admirably but if hurt, along with bringing Seth Payne back from injury slowly and only in key situations not every down this makes a lot of sense. There are ways around waiving anyone on the 53 man roster, so Clancy would be an excellent pick up, whats Casserlys phone #--- --- ----
look Charlie theres this NT available from the Steelers that the Texans need to quickly move on........Good post Genuine :thumbup

Porky

Hall of Fame
jacquescas said:
Clancy is 6'1 289lbs.

So he isn't a hefty guy, but he could help. maybe after we get rid of a QB or LB or something.
Ya'll think a 289 guy can play the nose in this day and age, where olineman that weigh 300 lbs are considered small? I don't see it myself. Payne is coming along, and Deloach is a very capable backup. If i'm not mistaken Junior Iaone can also play NT. Evans won't be realeased in favor of Clancy imo. First, Evans is on the team not because he is a great LB, but because he is a very good ST player. I hardly see Clancy running down the field on kickoffs. Secondly, that would put us at 7 lineman on the active roster. That seems excessive for a 3 man front.

Fiddy

All Pro
Porky said:
Ya'll think a 289 guy can play the nose in this day and age, where olineman that weigh 300 lbs are considered small?
He played NT pretty well for the Steelers and they run a 3 man front....

Ediddy73

Waterboy
Porky said:
Ya'll think a 289 guy can play the nose in this day and age, where olineman that weigh 300 lbs are considered small?.
Hi, my name is Seth Payne. I am 6-4" 303 lbs AND recovering from ACL surgery.....

Not sure where 289 came from, but nfl.com and espn.com have Kendrick at 305. He has played NT for the Steelers in the 3-4 his entire 4 year career, so wether or not he can play it for us isn't a issue.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Well to me there is a large difference between 289 and 305. It may not seem like it, but to me that is a major difference. They need a nice low base as well. He cool by me then. :thumbup

Hervoyel

BUENO!
There are good arguments for keeping another LB just like there are good arguments for keeping another guy on the D line. You could make a case for another O lineman, defensive back, or at almost any position on the team. If we could also predict where that extra depth would be needed then NFL teams would be lined up deep to hire us.

No way of knowing where you need that extra depth. I wish I knew. The beer would be on me Sunday if I had (and could do) that job.