Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2006   #1
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default I think the Red zone could be exciting this year

Hey guys, we've had alot of good posts this offseason but one thing we havent hit on alot is the red zone, we havent really done that well in the past couple years, but I think with the new scheme we could be in for a more fruitfull time inside the 20. with the new targets at tight end and moulds opposite AJ, not to mention some good zone blocking, I think we should pick up alot more TD's whatcha think?
Old 06-18-2006   #2
Texans86
All Pro

We have some pass catching TE and a scheme that allows us to go across the middle, which will obviously open up the red zone. We also have picked up big recievers who can get physical when needed and are also pretty tall, a big benefit when lobbing it into the back corner. We'll see if we have our power back who can get it in from 2-3 yards out. Is Robaire Smith still available to run it up the middle?
Old 06-18-2006   #3
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

I think our offense will be potent in the red zone especially with the addition of a receiving TE and teh addition of E-mo. I just hope we can find a back that can punch it in during goaline situations that is if A. Smith isnt our guy.
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfanatic
I think our offense will be potent in the red zone especially with the addition of a receiving TE and teh addition of E-mo. I just hope we can find a back that can punch it in during goaline situations that is if A. Smith isnt our guy.
Let's remember that the OL had a lot to do with our Red Zone woes.......the OL gives the QB time, the LOS forward push, and the RB holes. Unfortunately, last year and years past, it seems that the only holes our OL opened up was to greet the opposing D. Hoping this will be the major change we see at the Red Zone this year.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #5
sprtsfanatic
All Pro

very true cloak...very true
sprtsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #6
Samer
Veteran

Exactly...but with the additions to the o-line this year...they could hold up now
Old 06-18-2006   #7
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think flanigan is gonna really help too, mckinney was decent at pulling but flanigan should get us more push for the 2 to 4 yard punches. could use patrick hape in those situations as a fullback also. I think the amount of weapons we have this year is gonna play havoc with defenses. it's gonna be fun to watch for sure
Old 06-18-2006   #8
AFD1717
Veteran

Wali Lundy is going to shine on the goal line next year. I think he makes the team and scores 4+TDs as our short yardage back.
Old 06-18-2006   #9
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
Wali Lundy is going to shine on the goal line next year. I think he makes the team and scores 4+TDs as our short yardage back.
Why would Lundy be our designated short yardage back?
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #10
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
Why would Lundy be our designated short yardage back?
He scored 43 TDs in college (I think I remember that being a record). That tells me dude knows what he is doing on the goal line.
Old 06-18-2006   #11
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
He scored 43 TDs in college (I think I remember that being a record). That tells me dude knows what he is doing on the goal line.
That's all well and good but he's not a short-yardage back. He's probably the fastest RB we have on our roster and not particularly a power back that you'd put in for short yardage situations. Jameel Cook, Antowain Smith, and/or Quadtrine Hill would likely share that responsibility.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #12
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 711 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Anyone else think of Red_Zone the poster long before thinking of that mythical place known as the red zone in football? I mean, I know they were bad last year, but the idea of the place existing with our Texans present never crossed my mind until I started reading the posts.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #13
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 16963 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's all well and good but he's not a short-yardage back. He's probably the fastest RB we have on our roster and not particularly a power back that you'd put in for short yardage situations. Jameel Cook, Antowain Smith, and/or Quadtrine Hill would likely share that responsibility.
Hill got cut on June 14th. You might be talking about FB Nick Luchey newly sign by us on June 13th.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #14
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 903 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Anyone else think of Red_Zone the poster long before thinking of that mythical place known as the red zone in football? I mean, I know they were bad last year, but the idea of the place existing with our Texans present never crossed my mind until I started reading the posts.

I was just coming here to make a joke about that.....but you beat me to it

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #15
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
That's all well and good but he's not a short-yardage back. He's probably the fastest RB we have on our roster and not particularly a power back that you'd put in for short yardage situations.
Not sure where you are getting that, but I have to disagree. The guys you named will get their touches, but I think Lundy will prove to be the best on the goal line. I can provide other links if you like.

NFLDRAFTCOUNTDOWN:

Strengths:
A natural runner with good vision and instincts...Tough and runs hard between the tackles...Excels in short-yardage situations...Versatile...Does a nice job in pass pro...Good body control and lean...Can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the timed speed you look for...Lacks quickness and a burst...Will not break many tackles or create in the open field...Struggles to get outside...Has some durability concerns...Probably doesn't have a lot of upside or potential.

Notes:
Has a tremendous nose for the endzone and scored 43 touchdowns...The type who does everything well but nothing great...Probably profiles as more of a backup but could carve a niche for himself, especially down around the goaline.
Old 06-19-2006   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

DD has scored very well in the Red Zone we just need him to be healthy.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #17
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Eh, i'm not a big fan of old spice products.
Old 06-19-2006   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 145454 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
Eh, i'm not a big fan of old spice products.
Bad experience with a salty old sailor?

The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #19
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

We should see plenty of the Sprint Right Option in the Red Zone this season. At least 5 TD's with it this year.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read