Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-15-2006   #1
joshri
Rookie

Default Tight End Situation

I know that Bennie Joppru has a serious injury risk problem but he seems to be 100% so far this offseason and is working hard supposedly. He also seems to have loads of potential and management has shown that they want to give him a shot.

We also have Jeb Putzier, Owen Daniels, Mark Bruener and Patrick Hape.

Putzier and Daniels would seem locks to make the team, how does the rest play out?
joshri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #2
baba ganoush
Veteran

i would think they would split the starts between bruener and putzier...daniels and joppru would fight to see playing time and hape i believe would be a goal line fullback/tight end
Rule #7 - play like a champion!!!
baba ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshri
I know that Bennie Joppru has a serious injury risk problem but he seems to be 100% so far this offseason and is working hard supposedly. He also seems to have loads of potential and management has shown that they want to give him a shot.

Putzier and Daniels would seem locks to make the team, how does the rest play out?
IMO Putzier and Bruener are the two who I think will be locks. I still think we might keep Daniels and Joppru around in case Joppru gets injured again and because of Bruener's age I don't think he'll play but maybe another season or two so all 4 may be with us this season.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba ganoush
i would think they would split the starts between bruener and putzier...
FYI--starts are determined by who is on the field for the 1st play. Many teams, including the Texans last year, have more TE starts than 16, i.e. they started the games in 2 TE formations. Starter is almost an immaterial term for TE's at this point.
Old 06-15-2006   #5
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
IMO Putzier and Bruener are the two who I think will be locks. I still think we might keep Daniels and Joppru around in case Joppru gets injured again and because of Bruener's age I don't think he'll play but maybe another season or two so all 4 may be with us this season.
Daniels is probably headed towards the practice squad based upon what has been said. Right now, I think it is Putzier, Bruener, and BJ. Kubiak has said good things about all 3.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #6
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Kubiak likes Bruener's experience and leadership, but wants him to stretch the field and catch the ball. Those are the question marks? I really think it is Putzier, BJ, and Breuner in that order at the present time.
Old 06-15-2006   #7
joshri
Rookie

It is strange to me that the Texans would draft a guy in the 4th round (Daniels) and put him on the practice squad. I thought they should have gone another route with that pick. Like D.

As long as they give Joppru a shot, I'll be cool with whatever though.
joshri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2006   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Daniels is probably headed towards the practice squad based upon what has been said.
4th round draft picks don't go to the practice squad--they'd get snatched off in an instant with no compensation.
Old 06-15-2006   #9
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
4th round draft picks don't go to the practice squad--they'd get snatched off in an instant with no compensation.
Well that may be the case. I'm just saying Daniels is probably the 4th in the race unless he does something at another position.
Old 06-15-2006   #10
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think Kubiak and company were thinking that BJ was not probably going to come around and I think he has been a pleasant surprise. That has put Daniels who was deemed a project on the cusp I believe. Its going to be a tough cut this year and we are not going to be able to keep everyone we would like to. We may have wasted a draft pick on Daniels as it turns out. It was a resonable decision, but it might turn out to be a wrong one.
Old 06-15-2006   #11
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is strange to me that the Texans would draft a guy in the 4th round (Daniels) and put him on the practice squad. I thought they should have gone another route with that pick. Like D.

As long as they give Joppru a shot, I'll be cool with whatever though.
I can think of two reason why Texans draft Daniels.
I think at the time of draft, Texans' FO wasn't sure how well BJ would be at mini camp. He's been injured for last three years and not much information(films) on BJ to evaluate.
Broncos always took time to develop TE. Kubiak must saw Daniels as our future starter at the time of draft and still could be our starter in a few years from now.

This is the way I see it
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #12
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mourice Clarett

Quote:
Someone can always be sent to the practice squad and if another team claims them, the orignal team can then make room for them on the roster. Just because someone is from a certain round does not mean that they will automaticly get snatched up, ie Clarett

The big question I have is assuming 4 TEs make the roster, will 3 of the 4 be the recieving type that can not block a barbie doll? That I why I say Daniels is on the practice squad and the door is open for Hape or Halterman (1st team NFL Europe)
Old 06-15-2006   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776
Someone can always be sent to the practice squad and if another team claims them, the orignal team can then make room for them on the roster. Just because someone is from a certain round does not mean that they will automaticly get snatched up, ie Clarett
There is no first option for practice squad players. In other team can sign anyone on any practice squad with the only restriction being they have to put them on the active roster for at least 3 games. The original team has no right to put them on the active squad to avoid the departure once a deal is done. I am sure informally word gets out sometimes and teams can preempt, but there is nothing they can do once a deal is negotiated. Clarett is a horrible example--99% of the world thought Denver was insane to take him in the 3rd and they were right. The 1st pick of the 2nd day would get snatched.
Old 06-15-2006   #14
real

No way is Daniels going to the practice sqad guys...calm down...we will have 4 TE's on the roster come opening day...Daniel's IMO, is a pretty good TE...Anybody see him play in college ?
Old 06-15-2006   #15
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think........
Bennie Joppuru-Stay healthy/ He got through OTAs with no injuries!
Jeb Putzier-LOCK
Mark Bruener-Maybe Cut/Maybe if they really like Owen Daniels
Owen Daniels-Maybe practice squad-But I think he is too good to be on that.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #16
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

If Bruener would just get cut it would make things a lot easier
Old 06-15-2006   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
If Bruener would just get cut it would make things a lot easier
He is our best blocking TE though...
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Because Kubiak has a wide use of schemes that employ the TE and double TE,
he will very likely retain 4 TEs on the regular season roster which
will most likely be Putzier, Breuner, BJ, and Daniels.
And yes the Daniels pick was a bit of a puzzle, given that most people felt
we'd take a DB with that pick.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #19
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
No way is Daniels going to the practice sqad guys...calm down...we will have 4 TE's on the roster come opening day...Daniel's IMO, is a pretty good TE...Anybody see him play in college ?
Only Bruner can block, I see that as a problem. We have three girly men who just want to catch instead of laying down the thunder.

I don't know which one scares me more the not so MAD rb trio (Morrency, ASmith, DD) or the very lame JOB te trio (JPutz, ODaniels, BJoppru)
Old 06-15-2006   #20
BamaTexan
Rookie

Default Cj

Hape can crack helmets like Bruener. He isn't on the squad to stretch the field...
BamaTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read