Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who would start after DD ?
Morencey 30 31.58%
Smith 26 27.37%
Lundy 16 16.84%
(Michael Bennet) 23 24.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2006   #1
real

Cool Back Up Running Back...

If/When DD gets injured who should the Starting running back be ?

I chose Smith because he is a vet and should be able to step in and help us win ?
Old 06-14-2006   #2
HARRYJ
A Great Pretender

Rep Power: 125 HARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respected

Morencey because smith is done.

Thanks AzWhoopr, for my siggy!
HARRYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #3
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Agreed smith would just plug in and not miss a beat.By the way does any know if the texans are even looking at Bennett any more i thought that N.O. was going to hold on to him?
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #4
Bearfan Blue and Orange
Veteran

I like Smith. He did pretty well in NOLA with an OK line while Duece was out. I like him because he is a bashing RB that will wear down the line and the LBs throught the game and stays pretty healthy.
Bearfan Blue and Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #5
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

If we get bennet bennet will..Otherwise A.Smith
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

We will get Bennett and he will start after DD, with Wali Lundy behind him. Antowain Smith is just a situational back and is not supposed to be suited for the backup role.
Old 06-14-2006   #7
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Too early yet for me. I really like what I saw of Morency last season and Smith's stats are hard to argue with even if he is a year older. Wali could come in and explode in this system.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2006   #8
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Smith on his way out? I keep hearing that he may be cut. Wouldn't that be a waste of a signing? Albeit Bennett is probably a whole lot better than Smith, but what is bringing on this talk? Just curious.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #9
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan
Is Smith on his way out? I keep hearing that he may be cut. Wouldn't that be a waste of a signing? Albeit Bennett is probably a whole lot better than Smith, but what is bringing on this talk? Just curious.
I don't think it would be a waste of a signing...maybe we were just trying to see what Antowain Smith could do at his age compared to what Wali Lundy could do at his age and it sounds like Wali has done solid which is probably why getting cut is a possibility for Smith. I think it's Antowain's age combined with us drafting Wali will kick Antowain out the door. We did the same thing to Zeke Moreno, who was thought to be a solid signing last year, two years in a row. So I just wouldn't be suprised for one if Antowain gets the boot.
Old 06-14-2006   #10
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
I don't think it would be a waste of a signing...maybe we were just trying to see what Antowain Smith could do at his age compared to what Wali Lundy could do at his age and it sounds like Wali has done solid which is probably why getting cut is a possibility for Smith. I think it's Antowain's age combined with us drafting Wali will kick Antowain out the door. We did the same thing to Zeke Moreno, who was thought to be a solid signing last year, two years in a row. So I just wouldn't be suprised for one if Antowain gets the boot.
oh ok, I got it.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89797 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd use smith as the backup. IMO we dont have a rookie or younger guy that's ready to carry the load in DD's absence, and smith proved that he could do that very thing last season. morency will probably get some looks in garbage time and be the 3rd stringer. lundy i'm guessing starts the season on the practice squad. i dont want bennett unless we can get him without having to trade anything for him.
Old 06-14-2006   #12
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

O.K. keep one thing in the back your heads Kub. has been in Den. with Shan. for a long time how many mid round RB have they turned in stars on their off. I know WL was a 6th rounder and Kub. might be streaching it, But it is Kubiak and he has learned from one of the best off. minds in the bussiness.We (at least I think we can agree) know from the MW pick Kub picked the players in this draft.Coach knows something we dont? More than likely.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #13
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89797 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
O.K. keep one thing in the back your heads Kub. has been in Den. with Shan. for a long time how many mid round RB have they turned in stars on their off. I know WL was a 6th rounder and Kub. might be streaching it, But it is Kubiak and he has learned from one of the best off. minds in the bussiness.We (at least I think we can agree) know from the MW pick Kub picked the players in this draft.Coach knows something we dont? More than likely.
that staff deffinately knows their offensive personnel. they've never taken a runningback in the first round, most notably passing up reggie bush this past draft. terrell davis was a 6th rounder, olandis gary 4th, mike anderson 6th, clinton portis 2nd, reuben droughns 3rd, & tatum bell 2nd. whether it's the system, or the player, or the coaching ... or even all 3, kubiak & shanahan deffinately know their backs. i find no reason to doubt anything kubiak decides to do.

what i find odd, and maybe a discussion for it's own thread, is the total differences in kubiak & shanahan during this draft. shanahan loses his qb coach/play caller/offensive coordinator. during the draft he trades UP for a qb in the first round (he'd never previously taken a qb in the first round). kubiak on the other hand is off on his own for the first time in his career. what does he do? he passes on "the best player EVER!!1!!!11!!" at running back in favor of a defensive player. what i'm getting at (homerism, conspiracy, who knows), is how involved was kubiak in denver's offense? is it possible that he, more than shanahan, ran the show on that side of the ball and just didnt get his due credit? either way, it appears to me atleast the confidence kubiak has in himself and his coaches is in abundance, while shanahan might have lost someone more significant than anyone could've known.
Old 06-15-2006   #14
real

I.C Morency is winning...IMO, that would be a mistake...Smith isn't going anywhere unless we find another running back capable of carrying the load if DD goes down...I don't think Kubes is ready to put all his trust in Lundy or Morency...
Old 06-15-2006   #15
J-Storm
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to J-Storm

I would like to think that Kubiak N' Co. have enough faith in some of these guys from the past regime (ie: Morency, Buchanon, Babin, Joppru) that the past regime seemed to have really not utilized properly and give them some chance to shine with a brand new start given to them and a chance to prosper.

In saying that I voted Morency btw, hopefully Kubiak will give Double D the odd down off here and there and bring Morency in for that and some garbage time here n' there (moreso if we are winning in the latter end of the 4th Q) to see what he can really do on a more regular basis...
Old 06-15-2006   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I voted for Bennett, but I probably should have said Morency. Since we are unlikely to make the playoffs, why not see what we have before signing a backup to a big contract?
Old 06-15-2006   #17
wrestler4life
Veteran

Either that or there is really nothing that they can do with them this year (i.e.-replace with better talent) so they are just building them up so as to keep up optimism?
Not my opinion, but a possibility.
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #18
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I voted for Bennett, but I probably should have said Morency. Since we are unlikely to make the playoffs, why not see what we have before signing a backup to a big contract?
Or why not make the biggest push you can to make the playoffs? Just because we had a bad year last year doesn't mean we'll do bad this year.
Old 06-15-2006   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Bennett's contract would be very reasonable for two years in a trade--$700k this year, $1.2 mil next year. Almost dirt cheap. Not a recommendation for Bennett, just an observation.
Old 06-15-2006   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Bennett's contract would be very reasonable for two years in a trade--$700k this year, $1.2 mil next year. Almost dirt cheap. Not a recommendation for Bennett, just an observation.
You are right. In fact if we trade a player, we might have a savings. I would be against trading any substantial picks for him though (6th is about the highest).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read