Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-27-2004   #1
DominatorDavis
Veteran

Default Rivers Possible Starter vs. Houston in Opener

Link: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/s...-7764249c.html

Published: Aug 27, 2004
Modified: Aug 27, 2004 6:55 AM

The Associated Press

The San Diego Chargers will get their first in-game look at quarterback Philip Rivers in tonight's 10 p.m. exhibition game against the Seattle Seahawks.
Rivers, who missed 29 practices and two exhibitions during a contract dispute, will take the field in the second quarter and play into the third period in relief of starter Drew Brees.

Though the rust has shown, the former N.C. State star's practices this week since signing a contract Monday have been positive. But coach Marty Schottenheimer is eager to evaluate him against a stout opponent.

"I think he's done about as well as might be expected," Schottenheimer said. "I'm anxious to see him play in a game, because that will be a much better barometer for us."

Brees has played well. In two games, he has completed 68 percent of his passes with two touchdowns and an interception. But Schottenheimer isn't handing him the starting job just yet.

There's a chance Rivers could overtake Brees by the Sept. 12 opener in Houston.

"I'm confident that I can catch up and get back to where I need to be," said Rivers, who worked for an extra 90 minutes Thursday. "But I got to know it can't happen in a day or two days."
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004   #2
DominatorDavis
Veteran

It may be a bit premature but if Rivers starts over Breeze in this game I think that this will give a great advantage to the Texans defense. Just mho.
Old 08-27-2004   #3
Texan Ag
Rookie

What I like is how Rivers thinks that that extra 90 minutes of practice are going to take place of almost 30 practices he missed due to his holdout. I know the kid wanted to get paid, but if were serious about wanting to be the starter, he should have fought to get inked before camp

My
Old 08-27-2004   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

They mentioned on NFL Live that the Chargers are undefeated in season openers when they start a rookie QB. Okay so maybe they're only 1-0 with that lone win coming with Ryan Leaf at the helm, but still I like the Texans 2-0 record in home openers despite who plays. A rookie QB against our defense? Marty must be a little bit off his rocker.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither QB should be able to beat the Texans, tomilson is the only thing that should be an issue for defense. Unfortunately, that is pretty big issue.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

True but with Rivers in there I would expect Marty to concentrate more on the run than if he had Brees starting.
Old 08-27-2004   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

The Seahawks are beating the Chargers by 19 now in the 3rd quarter. 26-7

*edit* Had to add this picture of Marty's reaction during the game that I found. Struck me as funny.

Last edited by texasguy346; 08-28-2004 at 12:07 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2004   #8
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
They mentioned on NFL Live that the Chargers are undefeated in season openers when they start a rookie QB. Okay so maybe they're only 1-0 with that lone win coming with Ryan Leaf at the helm, but still I like the Texans 2-0 record in home openers despite who plays. A rookie QB against our defense? Marty must be a little bit off his rocker.
The Texans are 1-0 in home openers (against Dallas) and 1-0 in road openers (at Miami).

There is no way Rivers will start after missing training camp.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004   #9
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
The Texans are 1-0 in home openers (against Dallas) and 1-0 in road openers (at Miami).

There is no way Rivers will start after missing training camp.
Geeze that was a big brain freeze on my part. Meant season openers. Guess I should proof read my stuff before I post.
Old 08-28-2004   #10
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what, I hope they do start Rivers here in Houston. I want the Texan "D" to give him the same treatment their "D" gave to Carr in 2002.
Old 08-28-2004   #11
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Only saw a few highlights on SportsCenter, but not enough to get a good idea of the O-Line play. Rivers got picked twice, and the pocket looked relatively clean in the plays highlighted but that doesn't say much. San Diego got a FG blocked and Simmons returned it for a Seahawks TD. I believe they're going with a rookie kicker from Iowa. If they stick with him that will be another aspect of the game in our favor.
Old 08-29-2004   #12
texansfan88
All Pro

why would they start rivers after the incredible preseason brees has been having? brees is actually looking good and could cause problems if no pressure is applied (think kansas city last year)
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #13
DominatorDavis
Veteran

I actually think that the Chargers are going to play Breeze at the beginning of the season but then Rivers will over take him as the season rolls on and the losses mount. It is a tough situation in San Diego right now. There are many out there (and here) who really do like both quarterbacks. The potential with Rivers is unbelievable. Folks in North Carolina are bias because of the obvious N.C. State connection to Raleigh but it is for the most part homer's passing a lot of hot air.

Looking at the game comming up, I dont think that if Breeze or Rivers is starting it will make *that* big of an impact for the Texans. It will give an advantage to the Texans if Rivers is in there sure - and I dont think he'll have the ability to pick up disguised coverages or blitz's as well as Breeze. So that has something worth mentioning.

A few points about the Chargers that has their fans posturing. Their O-line is decimated. Their recievers core is depleted on top of not being very good in the first place. The defense is soft in the middle. And I dont think that they are going to quite know what to do with the screeching bookends in Peek and Babin. I think that with either guy in there (Breeze/Rivers) the Texans win.

With mincing a few words, our guys need to stuff the freakin' run. Tomlinson needs to get shut down. And needs to not catch the ball in the flat and then scamper for 15 or 20 and first down yardage. That has been his bread and butter. If we contain LT and keep a target on him all day, then San Diego will have a very hard time winning at Reliant. Just mho.

Last edited by DominatorDavis; 08-30-2004 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2004   #14
Yossarian
Rookie

I think the only way that Rivers will start in the opener is if Brees manages to get injured. There's just too many things going against him at this point.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I would be stunned if Rivers starts against us. I feel for Brees. Hopefully the Westlake High product can get his chance on a team with more talent.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #16
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as Rivers can hand off to L.T., what more can the Chargers expect?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Realistically? If he starts the game against us I think we get at least 2 INT's.

Brees gives them a fighting chance.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans don't find a pass rush somewhere, the Chargers could put Elmer Fudd at QB and it won't make much difference.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #19
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

if a healthy d-line is there, plus babin...im not too worried. eveyone just needs to put their heads on straight and play ball.
Old 08-30-2004   #20
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
if a healthy d-line is there
That is precisely what has me worried. Not only for the opener but for the season. I need to see G-Funk and Seth in uniform for a couple games before I can breathe easier about our defense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read