Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2006   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Should we have the 3rd Mini-Camp? I think so.

I have heard a few times that teams with new head coaches, and there's alot this year, can opt to have a 3rd mini-camp. I haven't heard anything either way about this. But to me it would be a no-brainer.

It seems the OTA's and the first mini-camp yielded lots of progress. I think we need to build on that and focus on scheme and that pesky little thing called "execution" (not to bring up ole sayings of yester-year). It would give the O & D lines more time together hopefully to gel as cohesive units; QB's, Recievers, Backs, TE's more time to work on timing.

At this point, I think it can only be a good thing, I think the team should take every chance they get to continue progressing towards respectability.

It is great to hear all the positive things about the way Kubiak runs practices and the comrarderie on the team....Let's keep it going.

How do you guys feel, shouldn't the Texans have a third mini-camp?
Old 06-13-2006   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
I have heard a few times that teams with new head coaches, and there's alot this year, can opt to have a 3rd mini-camp. I haven't heard anything either way about this. But to me it would be a no-brainer.

It seems the OTA's and the first mini-camp yielded lots of progress. I think we need to build on that and focus on scheme and that pesky little thing called "execution" (not to bring up ole sayings of yester-year). It would give the O & D lines more time together hopefully to gel as cohesive units; QB's, Recievers, Backs, TE's more time to work on timing.

At this point, I think it can only be a good thing, I think the team should take every chance they get to continue progressing towards respectability.

It is great to hear all the positive things about the way Kubiak runs practices and the comrarderie on the team....Let's keep it going.

How do you guys feel, shouldn't the Texans have a third mini-camp?
Kubiak said no to the question even though he could have. He indicated, read the Texans Web Site on the 12 th practice, that he wants healthy guys in training camp. He is being very careful not to overwork the body. He likes intense sessions and believes he has accomplished what he needs to. In addition I think they want to focus on some acquistions and feel the team is far enough along. I think they want to review tape and see where they are going and see what adjustments they may need to make.

We have a thinking group of coaches who are watching out for their players. They are in a long grueling march and they know that from personal experience how tough it is. They feel a little RNR is good for the body and soul at this time.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Kubiak said no to the question even though he could have. He indicated, read the Texans Web Site on the 12 th practice, that he wants healthy guys in training camp. He is being very careful not to overwork the body. He likes intense sessions and believes he has accomplished what he needs to. In addition I think they want to focus on some acquistions and feel the team is far enough along. I think they want to review tape and see where they are going and see what adjustments they may need to make.

We have a thinking group of coaches who are watching out for their players. They are in a long grueling march and they know that from personal experience how tough it is. They feel a little RNR is good for the body and soul at this time.
I agree. Kubiak most likely had a plan of progress and felt like it was met during OTA's and the first two mini camps.

I am sure if he couldn't get the team practicing at the tempo he wanted or didn't feel the team responded well to the things they were trying to accomplish we would be seeing a third camp.

To me this is a good sign of progress.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't know that Kubiak said that the team was not going to have the third one. I guess that is a good sign that he satisfied as you guys have stated.

I still think it could be a good thing, it would have to be physically intense, it could be more academic. But I certainly understand the need for R N R, and the coaches can work on evaluations.
Old 06-13-2006   #5
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I understand what has been said & I will have to trust the coaches, but there sure are a lot of guys in competition for jobs and a huge turnover with guys who have not played together before.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #6
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this is that big of a deal. It seems like the coaching staff will be working hard to get things prepared for training camp. Also, this is a long process and it is probably better to take this in easy steps.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
I didn't know that Kubiak said that the team was not going to have the third one. I guess that is a good sign that he satisfied as you guys have stated.

I still think it could be a good thing, it would have to be physically intense, it could be more academic. But I certainly understand the need for R N R, and the coaches can work on evaluations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
I am sure if he couldn't get the team practicing at the tempo he wanted or didn't feel the team responded well to the things they were trying to accomplish we would be seeing a third camp.
It's a pretty good sign that he even shut down this second mini-camp a day early. One of the differences between this staff and some other coaches is that Kubiak has a plan for what he wants accomplished and once his players achieve those goals through hard work, he rewards them. If sufficient progress hadn't been made already I think he wouldn't hesitate to practice tomorrow and have the third camp.

Another factor in the equation is the normal conditioning players need to do. During these "off weeks", rest assured the weight room will be a hopping place. The lifting the players do during OTAs and camps maintain condition and help muscle recovery. The serious lifting and running they can do between now and training camp will increase their strength and conditioning.

Last edited by Runner; 06-13-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2006   #8
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think the coaches/management also needs this off time to make last minute cuts and additions , they will review the minicamps and decide who gets a shot and who doesnt and who is on their last leg and needs a free agent to push them in or out. in my oppinion this is a big time for management to prepare for camps start.
Old 06-13-2006   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure if 3 days is going to bring them up further along at this point as to where being healthy and in training camp will be.

I think it is up to the players to get ready for camp at this time.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #10
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer
this is a big time for management to prepare for camps start.
Exactly!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #11
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Yea because if we do the third our team will be set on playing together and more comfortable...LETS GO TEXANS!
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #12
HeartofHouston
Veteran

There's and upside and downside to the 3rd Camp..

Of Course.. The team would be working together more and get more in-sync in lets face it the more the better.

The down-side is that most of our stars are keeping pretty healthy minus a very few. But with more work comes more strain on the body and also comes that added risk of injury.. and the last thing I want is to hear that Robinson got turf toe or has a hip injury or something..

So I'm not sure which way to go on this one.. good luck Texans..

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read