Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronic: Texans tight ends get involved

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3964004.html

Quote:
Additional running routes should open up the passing game
By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Problems for coverage

"If you can get a tight end involved, it opens up the passing game," Carr said. "We hit a couple of plays downfield just because the tight end was involved in the route and took up a couple of guys on coverage."

The tight ends will be critical this season, with the Texans hoping their involvement will open opportunities for receivers Eric Moulds and Andre Johnson.

Training camp will be as competitive at tight end as anywhere on the team. Bruener is a physical, veteran leader. Putzier has considerable experience at receiver. Don't count out Joppru either, despite the fact that the 2003 second-round draft pick is still waiting to make his Texans debut.

"I've been very impressed, and it doesn't surprise me because if I had to tell you the one player who is the first one here in the morning and the last one to leave in the evening, it's that kid," Kubiak said. "He's very dedicated to what he does. When that stuff happens to you in your career you kind of find out how important football is to you, and I think that's what's happened to him. Hopefully, he'll stay in one piece and make the adjustments."

Putzier, 27, is the only one having to make only minor adjustments to his game. After spending the past four seasons in the same system under Kubiak with the Broncos, Putzier spends most of his time in practice trying to help teammates.

"The tight ends, the fullbacks, the receivers — they all come to me," Putzier said. "They usually understand what they're doing, but sometimes they don't understand why.

"So I help them out and let them know what they're helping when they're doing it and why they have to get into certain spaces when they're on the field, and what they're going to open up for everybody else."

New role for Bruener

Bruener, 33, hasn't hesitated to lean on Putzier. Bruener has worked on his receiving skills each season, but the focus is on his hands now more than ever.

"In all honesty, I'm enjoying this new role," Bruener said. "Let's be real here, you're not going to see me down there all the time. But the system we're in here, they want to utilize both tight ends in the passing game. It's my job to develop the confidence in the coaches as well as the quarterbacks that I can be a receiving threat."

megan.manfull@chron.com
Quote:
Texans Summary

Davis' knee not cooperating

Despite coach Gary Kubiak's hope that running back Domanick Davis would participate in minicamp, Davis' left knee didn't allow it. Kubiak said the next month will be important for Davis and Travis Johnson, who has a calf strain.

"When (Davis) went through a couple of the walk throughs (last week), his knee did swell up on him a little bit," Kubiak said. "It's not important right now that he's ready to play today, so we'll be smart with him.

"We know where Domanick stands and where Travis stands. They have a lot of work, more so than their teammates in the next month to get them ready to play."

MEGAN MANFULL

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #2
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

"TE play will help Carr alot. Billy Miller helped Carr alot... Capers was probablly sabotaged because he failed to adresss the TE position."

ya know I'm glad someone finnaly gave Miller some credit, its been a while since ive heard him mentioned, I agree. I thought billy miller gave carr that extra target and carr did better with him in the lineup. I can see where this new batch of TE's and a healthy BJ could add a new dimension to the offense.
Old 06-13-2006   #3
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the offense's emphasis of spreading the field and putting pressure on the defense will open opportunities for all of our WRs/TEs/RBs. I can't wait to see it in action...hope David's picking the reads up quickly.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #4
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats good...........I like Megan Manfull, she just reports the sports news and does not add her 2 cents every other sentence(McClain-Justice).
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_
a healthy BJ could add a new dimension to the offense.
Any one else snicker a little when they saw that?

It is no mistake that Carr was better when Miller was involved. Carr feels comforatable throwing to his tightends and has a whole stable of them. This is going to be a great year.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing with Billy Miller was when he was here he didn't have WRs. Then when one came (AJ) they phased him out due to AJ's success and the lack of pass protection. To top that off Miller was not a blocking TE.

But you are right. I remember Billy Miller being huge in our second win ever. I remember him making a heck of a catch that pretty much helped us win.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #7
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
But the system we're in here, they want to utilize both tight ends in the passing game.
Use two TEs, one the same play, in the passing game. Then we have the options of Bruener, Putzier, AJ, Moulds, Cook, and Davis. We must have some real confidence in our OL with leaving minimal help there for them as the FB and TE are going to be catching a lot of passes this year.
Old 06-13-2006   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
Use two TEs, one the same play, in the passing game. Then we have the options of Bruener, Putzier, AJ, Moulds, Cook, and Davis. We must have some real confidence in our OL with leaving minimal help there for them as the FB and TE are going to be catching a lot of passes this year.
I think what you are seeing here is real coaching. They aren't going to practice with the TEs staying home. They are going to make their line do what they do and the TEs do what they do.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

""In all honesty, I'm enjoying this new role," Bruener said. "Let's be real here, you're not going to see me down there all the time. But the system we're in here, they want to utilize both tight ends in the passing game. It's my job to develop the confidence in the coaches as well as the quarterbacks that I can be a receiving threat."
This comment by Bruener about the team employing 2 TEs in passing situations is a further indication that Kubiak will keep 4 TEs on the roster, which is good news for both Breuner and Joppru. I'm confidant that Putzier and rookie Owens have already been penciled in for the 2006 regular season roster.
And as a matter of fact, the DC on the Broncos website at seasons end in Jan
shows 4 TEs. No reason to think that the Houston Broncos would deviate from their prototype on this important position in the Broncos WCO.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"If you can get a tight end involved, it opens up the passing game," Carr said. "We hit a couple of plays downfield just because the tight end was involved in the route and took up a couple of guys on coverage."

Putzier, 27, is the only one having to make only minor adjustments to his game. After spending the past four seasons in the same system under Kubiak with the Broncos, Putzier spends most of his time in practice trying to help teammates.

"The tight ends, the fullbacks, the receivers they all come to me," Putzier said. "They usually understand what they're doing, but sometimes they don't understand why.

"So I help them out and let them know what they're helping when they're doing it and why they have to get into certain spaces when they're on the field, and what they're going to open up for everybody else."

This goes to something that we sometimes miss as fans. If Carr throws the ball and it is not caught, there are all sorts of reasons for that which may not show up in the stands.

When I was at the Kyle Shanahan talk at the coaching clinic, he showed us a bunch of Bronco film of plays that worked and ones that didn't. He showed us what the defense did when seeing different looks. If the offensive players went to the right places in the field, even if they weren't involved in the play, it caused the defenses to bite where they were supposed to.

Some of those things were immensely subtle--a foot here or there, or quicker or slower timing. If you were watching the film without him telling you went wrong, you wouldn't be able to see why the play didn't work.

Putzier helping with the whys is important because when you know why you are supposed to be doing something, you are more likely to do it because it has a context.
Old 06-13-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Putzier helping with the whys is important because when you know why you are supposed to be doing something, you are more likely to do it because it has a context.
The "spread the reputation" rule should be omitted for you texans chick....thats an excellent point...
Old 06-13-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Some of those things were immensely subtle--a foot here or there, or quicker or slower timing. If you were watching the film without him telling you went wrong, you wouldn't be able to see why the play didn't work.
This is a word to the wise when we amateurs "break down film" (watch DVR'd replays of part of the field) after games this season and decide who is good and who is bad. It holds equally true for past seasons.

Most of us really don't know what we are seeing, although we think we do. I personally try to keep that in mind when evaluating players and try to be open minded, although I fail at that as much as anybody else.

I don't know if the collective mind of this board is self correcting about this, i.e. our various diverse viewpoints approach the "truth". I suspect it may exacerbate the problem, because popular opinions may build on themselves even though they are wrong.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read