Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2006   #1
knowyourfootball
Rookie

Default sporting news article on jopru

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...ic.php?t=99710

Quote:
Now, Joppru is showing signs of life. One man who has noticed is Gary Kubiak, the Texans' new coach, who says Joppru has been the team's hardest-working player this offseason. "The time he's been here -- this kid is like a coach who lives in this building," says Kubiak. "As long as he's doing that and paying the price, we're going to give him every benefit of the doubt, and I think he's going to help this team."

"His strength is that he can run. He can stretch the field," says Kubiak. "The thing he needs to get better at to become an all-around tight end is being physical at the line of scrimmage. And I think he can do that. We're expecting big things from him. Getting through the summer and staying in one piece is a big step forward to take."
knowyourfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #2
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice find and thats good to hear
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #3
HOOK'EM
Veteran

AWSOME!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #4
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2722 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOK'EM
AWSOME!
Great....next step: one of those "real life" stories before a game telling about an athlete who overcame the odds. Wishing BJ an awesome 2006. Go TEXANS!!!
bayoudreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #5
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Kubiak, Kubiak, Kubiak and a number of players eager to prove everyone wrong are the heart and soul of this season. The names Carr, Williams, Walters, Wand, AJ, Moulds, DRob, PBuc, BJ, Weaver, Ryans and a lot of others are all going to become household words in the NFL.

I believe there is a burning desire in this ball club that is going to literally explode on the scene when the season starts. The coaches are bring the troops along easy like trying to avoid the injuries of the past. Everything is so, so different this year. Its just remarkably different. Folks, I just keep saying sit back and enjoy the ride its going to be a long one.

P.S. McClain you are missing the biggest sports story of your life. I hope your vacation is an enjoyable one.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #6
jmerog
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Kubiak, Kubiak, Kubiak and a number of players eager to prove everyone wrong are the heart and soul of this season. The names Carr, Williams, Walters, Wand, AJ, Moulds, DRob, PBuc, BJ, Weaver, Ryans and a lot of others are all going to become household words in the NFL.

I believe there is a burning desire in this ball club that is going to literally explode on the scene when the season starts. The coaches are bring the troops along easy like trying to avoid the injuries of the past. Everything is so, so different this year. Its just remarkably different. Folks, I just keep saying sit back and enjoy the ride its going to be a long one.

P.S. McClain you are missing the biggest sports story of your life. I hope your vacation is an enjoyable one.

I couldn't agree with you more on that. I may be a bit of a homer on this one, but i truely believe the texans COULD make the playoffs this year. There is just so much potential on both sides of the ball. Our offense looks ripe to explode and the additions on defense should keep us from blowing second half leads.
Old 06-12-2006   #7
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2722 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I only disagree with one thing you said. I don't think Kubes is bringing them around easier. I think they are working harder than they ever have before....but the important thing is that they seem to be working smarter!

Last year, from the pics from offseason drills when it looked more like a daycare recess than an NFL practice to the preseason chinese fire drill it was terrifying to watch this team. It didn't take much to see that there just wasn't a method to the madness.

The SYSTEM....is in place......Mario and co. will have alot of people calling for "help" this season!
bayoudreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2006   #8
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jopp is going to be fine..............Cant waite for him to FINALY be able to take the field.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

This should be the first guy out of the Tunnel on opening day.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to admit, my favorite part was in the comments:

Quote:
Slow time of year?
Posted by rosborough151 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 01:03 pm

I understand that the offseason is kind of slow but common!!! A story about a 4th string tightend on the Texans?!?!? What's next an article about the PH level or the water at the training camps around the league? Thanks, but no thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

re: rosborough151
Posted by pktbally916 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 02:06 pm

everything in texas is bigger, so a story about a 4th string tight end in houston is bigger than any news where you come from...

That is funny!
Old 06-13-2006   #11
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Flanagan wasn't able to play his first three yrs of football due to injuries. And look how he turned out to be!!   Ummm let see......... Joppru wasn't able to play his first, second, third yr....... It's just my gut feeling tells me that Joppru will be the biggest surprise player for Texans this year. At least I hope so as he went through a lot.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #12
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoudreamn
I only disagree with one thing you said. I don't think Kubes is bringing them around easier. I think they are working harder than they ever have before....but the important thing is that they seem to be working smarter!

Last year, from the pics from offseason drills when it looked more like a daycare recess than an NFL practice to the preseason chinese fire drill it was terrifying to watch this team. It didn't take much to see that there just wasn't a method to the madness.

The SYSTEM....is in place......Mario and co. will have alot of people calling for "help" this season!
The word easy is in reference to how they are not practicing. We are being physical, but a smart physical. We are trying to avoid abusing the body like Capers did. Yes, we are intense mentally, but we are being careful of the body. You can see the smiles on the guys faces. They are loving it. I think they feel like they are being respected.

I don't think are players were not in shape the last several years physically, but rather mentally was the problem. When they came to camp Caper's and his staff were drill instructors who ran the team into the ground physically. They needed to work on the mental aspect of the game not the physical aspect of the game. We lost so many players during training camp and during the season probably as the result of what was done preseason and during the season. The BODY CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH. The 4th QTR collapses are no surprise when you look at what the coaching staff was doing.
Old 06-13-2006   #13
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

I just hope that Joppru stays healthy. We only know what the previous management said about his potential when drafted. A lot remains to be seen. My fingers are crossed.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #14
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Great Post!
Old 06-13-2006   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The word easy is in reference to how they are not practicing. We are being physical, but a smart physical. We are trying to avoid abusing the body like Capers did. Yes, we are intense mentally, but we are being careful of the body. You can see the smiles on the guys faces. They are loving it. I think they feel like they are being respected.

I don't think are players were not in shape the last several years physically, but rather mentally was the problem. When they came to camp Caper's and his staff were drill instructors who ran the team into the ground physically. They needed to work on the mental aspect of the game not the physical aspect of the game. We lost so many players during training camp and during the season probably as the result of what was done preseason and during the season. The BODY CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH. The 4th QTR collapses are no surprise when you look at what the coaching staff was doing.
Really? Other than you stating this, where are the reports on how tough physically Capers was and how much easier Kubiak is being? Reports from the OTA's and mini-camps have been the tempo is up if anything this year. From having attended many of the training camp sessions in years past, I would say Capers was highly scripted but not that he was rough on the players at all--there was a great deal of walking and standing around. You seem to have drawn your conclusion about Capers from not understanding that there are injuries at every training camp in the NFL. From the pictures of the OTA's, it looks like Kubiak was running the fine line on getting fined for exceeding the no contact rules. In fact the DL coach caught himself just short of talking about having the players hit each other harder at one point.

FYI--the strength and conditioning coach is still Dan Riley.
Old 06-13-2006   #16
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Really? Other than you stating this, where are the reports on how tough physically Capers was and how much easier Kubiak is being? Reports from the OTA's and mini-camps have been the tempo is up if anything this year. From having attended many of the training camp sessions in years past, I would say Capers was highly scripted but not that he was rough on the players at all--there was a great deal of walking and standing around. You seem to have drawn your conclusion about Capers from not understanding that there are injuries at every training camp in the NFL. From the pictures of the OTA's, it looks like Kubiak was running the fine line on getting fined for exceeding the no contact rules. In fact the DL coach caught himself just short of talking about having the players hit each other harder at one point.

FYI--the strength and conditioning coach is still Dan Riley.
You need to perhaps read a few of the articles that have come out and the players comments about camp Capers. He ground his players into the ground and that's a known fact. He believed in strenuous two day practices in the Houston sun and hummidity. Sorry, but if you will do a little research you will find what I'm saying is true. He was a throw back to the Bear and his days in Texas. That's why he took the one day off and took his team to the movies. There were also serious questions about his pregame practices. If you can not see the differences between the training practices of these two coaches - well then that's your problem.

I'm sorry, but I find it refreshing that Kubiak has changed everything with respect to this ball club including the training practices. We have a team going places this year and it is a refreshing thought. Most of our players are self motivated people who come into camp very fit. You look at people like Mario, Carr, AJ, Moulds, BJ and others and they don't need physical training they need to know how to execute - what a horrible word.

I will give an excellent example, but I can't prove it. Arron Glenn was not healthy the last 3 years he was with the Texans, but he has been healthy in Dallas. Why, because Parcells treats practices differently than Capers.

Kubiak and company expect their players to be adults and come in in shape. They aren't going to fool around with people who are not. They want to spend their time teaching the players how to play the game. The players of today are so much bigger and stronger than before and their bodies are already on the edge of breakdown from all the training they do. The season is long and requires the players and the coaches to use a lot of intelligence in getting physically through the season. If you totally wear people out before the start of the season or the game you are going to find it difficult to be at your best when games are being played. You have a tendency to tire in the 4th quarter. Does that ring a bell?
Old 06-13-2006   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You need to perhaps read a few of the articles that have come out and the players comments about camp Capers. He ground his players into the ground and that's a known fact. He believed in strenuous two day practices in the Houston sun and hummidity.
Your saying it is a known fact is the opposite of proof or an example but thanks for playing. Of course an easy example to the contrary would be TJ's comments on how hard they wanted him going in the OTA's this year--see that is an example. By the way, Kubiak is holding two a days in the Houston sun and humidity as well--in fact he is apparently planning on mostly doing them during the day rather than the evening practices run by Capers.

Quote:
There were also serious questions about his pregame practices.
Really, where?

Quote:
If you can not see the differences between the training practices of these two coaches - well then that's your problem.
Dude you are in another freakin state and haven't been to a single training event live. Get a grip.

Quote:
I will give an excellent example, but I can't prove it. Arron Glenn was not healthy the last 3 years he was with the Texans, but he has been healthy in Dallas.
You're right--that is a good example--of you assuming something completely unknowable is proof of your preconceived theory.

PS--Aaron Glenn was with the Texans 3 years. In 2002 he didn't miss a game. In 2003 he left game 4 and missed games 5 and 6 and then left game 15. There was zero evidence of his hammy problems being training camp related. In 2004 he again started every game. In 2005 Glenn was in and out of the line up starting a total of 7 games. But I am sure reduced playing time had nothing to do with it and it all had to do with teddy bear Parcells.
Old 06-13-2006   #18
Tex Trenches
Veteran

Great thread.

My thoughts are that Capers might have been a little to easy on his players at the most crucial times. Either that, or whatever he was saying to them really didn't sink in. It all has to do with respect and I don't think he ever recieved it. The players liked him, but respect is what guys gravitate to. There were plenty of times last year when Capers should have let a player have it on the sidelines, but every time the poor guy looked just as lost as the perp. I know the game has changed alot over the years, but sometimes an old fasion tounge lashin is prudent.
Old 06-13-2006   #19
Tex Trenches
Veteran

I forgot to mention how excited I am for Joppru. The guy has really kept his chin up through all of this. His work etthic is showing that he is still extremly motivated and is ready to prove himself once and for all.
Old 06-13-2006   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Your saying it is a known fact is the opposite of proof or an example but thanks for playing. Of course an easy example to the contrary would be TJ's comments on how hard they wanted him going in the OTA's this year--see that is an example. By the way, Kubiak is holding two a days in the Houston sun and humidity as well--in fact he is apparently planning on mostly doing them during the day rather than the evening practices run by Capers.

Really, where?

Dude you are in another freakin state and haven't been to a single training event live. Get a grip.

You're right--that is a good example--of you assuming something completely unknowable is proof of your preconceived theory.

PS--Aaron Glenn was with the Texans 3 years. In 2002 he didn't miss a game. In 2003 he left game 4 and missed games 5 and 6 and then left game 15. There was zero evidence of his hammy problems being training camp related. In 2004 he again started every game. In 2005 Glenn was in and out of the line up starting a total of 7 games. But I am sure reduced playing time had nothing to do with it and it all had to do with teddy bear Parcells.
Well I suggest you do a little research on your own. In fact I laugh because I was accussed of not having sources on the infamous Justice article as well and low and behold what I said was true. I don't throw these comments around lightly and I stick by my guns. All I will say is if you do as much reading as I do from various sources, you might be surprised about some of the practices. Anyway, I will repeat I'm looking forward to a fantastic year and it will be because of the new coaching staff. Again, what a refreshing change from the last few years. Enjoy it because its going to be fun.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read