Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2006   #1
real

Default The Texans Will Make the Playoffs IF...

I hear alot of people; sports writers and fans alike, making predictions for our upcoming season...Well if you had to pick one key to a successful season what would it be? For me I will put it all squarely on David Carr's shoulders...I think that everything else will pretty much fall in place if DC comes out and preforms well...
Old 06-12-2006   #2
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I think our defense needs to really step up this year because with everything on offense I think David will perform, but can the defense get the offense on the field as much as possible? (in the good way )
Old 06-12-2006   #3
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
I think our defense needs to really step up this year because with everything on offense I think David will perform, but can the defense get the offense on the field as much as possible? (in the good way )
I think our defense won't be able to do anything this year but succeed...the only question that I have about our defense is our secondary...
Old 06-12-2006   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I think our defense won't be able to do anything this year but succeed...the only question that I have about our defense is our secondary...
Exactly. That's what I think. I'm concerned about our secondary just like most people are. If they can perform at an average level I think we can be very good. We will make the playoffs if our secondary can perform.
Old 06-12-2006   #5
Texans86
All Pro

I think this next season rides on the right shoulder of David Carr, and the 5- men charged with keeping him upright. He's been given the tools to work with, and I believe in him. Even the Colts and Chiefs won with terrible defenses.
Old 06-12-2006   #6
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the defense has to step up strong this year and the offense needs to get quality production in the 4th quarter for there to be a playoff run.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it rests on the O-line first and Carr making good decisions second . Face it 208 sacks in four seasons (an avg of 52 per season) would make it difficult for any QB to perform.

I think a lot of last seasons problems can be placed squarely upon the shoulders of Capers and his staff . They had lost the team plain and simple . No one believed in the offensive nor defensive schemes (see Jamie Sharper's comments at the end of the prior season that ultimately got him cut) . The staff played not to lose instead of playing to win . This was evident in many of their gameplans not to mention many of the decisions made by the coaches in game .

When a team doesnt believe in its coaches they dont put forth maximum effort . That is exactly what we saw with this team last season .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2006   #8
TexansJunkE
Veteran

It has to be O-Line! If the O-line holds up we will be able to sustain drives longer, Carr will then have time to throw more than a 1 yard hitch to AJ and be given his first chance to succeed. This season rests on the O-Line's shoulders. Haven't we been saying this for 4 years now?
Old 06-12-2006   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
I think it rests on the O-line first and Carr making good decisions second . Face it 208 sacks in four seasons (an avg of 52 per season) would make it difficult for any QB to perform.

I think a lot of last seasons problems can be placed squarely upon the shoulders of Capers and his staff . They had lost the team plain and simple . No one believed in the offensive nor defensive schemes (see Jamie Sharper's comments at the end of the prior season that ultimately got him cut) . The staff played not to lose instead of playing to win . This was evident in many of their gameplans not to mention many of the decisions made by the coaches in game .

When a team doesnt believe in its coaches they dont put forth maximum effort . That is exactly what we saw with this team last season .
So if you had to pick one element from the Texans that that must go well in order for us to be a playoff team it would be ??

I said D.Carr because I think that our o-line will do well next year...The only other area that reall concerns me about the Texans are the DB's, but I don't think that they have to have a real strong showing for us to win...I think DC is the key because our recievers are good...our running game will be good, and our o-line is much improved...new coaches...only position that hasn't had a change is QB....he has to play well for us to win
Old 06-12-2006   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

the texans will make the playoffs if they win a lot of games.
Old 06-12-2006   #11
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

This team has a good shot but the key to making the playoffs is.. injuries. stay healthy and the team will be fine
Old 06-12-2006   #12
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
only position that hasn't had a change is QB....
Excellent point, but maybe the bigger question may be will the excuses continue if he doesn't perform?
Old 06-12-2006   #13
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

...if our offense can be capable of scoring more than 2 touchdowns in a game AND have a defense that can play in the 4th quarter.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say health and being injury free.

We have been one of the most injury riddled teams since our existance and no injuries is the key to any successful team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans will make the playoffs if...we all pool our money and buy Peyton Manning a motorcycle.

I know, that was wrong.
Old 06-12-2006   #16
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
The Texans will make the playoffs if...we all pool our money and buy Peyton Manning a motorcycle.

I know, that was wrong.
Old 06-12-2006   #17
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hear alot of people; sports writers and fans alike, making predictions for our upcoming season...Well if you had to pick one key to a successful season what would it be? For me I will put it all squarely on David Carr's shoulders...I think that everything else will pretty much fall in place if DC comes out and preforms well...
So, your saying you expect us to make the playoffs this year if Carr plays well and if not it would be his fault if we don't?

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #18
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
So, your saying you expect us to make the playoffs this year if Carr plays well and if not it would be his fault if we don't?

Are you making a joke or being serious?

I guess this is the season where Carr "must play well", using his quote from last year when answering a question if they needed to win a footbal game.
Old 06-12-2006   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
I guess this is the season where Carr "must play well", using his quote from last year when answering a question if they needed to win a footbal game.
IMO it demonstrates a loss of objectivity when people try to use that quote against Carr. He was asked if it was a must win game. The answer is no it wasn't--absolutely nothing was hanging on it. The team wasn't going to move to another city or throw their hands up in the air and quit the remainder of the season if they lost; it wasn't going to keep them in the playoff hunt or anything else. It was a game where they needed to show they could play hard and well, something they had not been doing. Regardless of whether a person thinks Carr is a bust as a QB or has potential, that is the objective view of the exchange. It is ridiculous to represent the exchange as Carr intending anything else.
Old 06-12-2006   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
No....I didn't say if he doesn't it's his fault...I said to me he is the most important piece for us to make the playoffs...he is the wild card...I think evryone else is going do well...I think Carr is the biggest question mark..

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read