Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2006   #1
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP
Default Why do you wear helmets in practice?

With it being so freakin hot... why do they wear helmets in practice when they are not in full pads anyway?
Old 06-12-2006   #2
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Safety First
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #3
WILLIEG
Veteran

It's like the first step in the overall process of having a player acclimated to eventually wearing all his gear. Next, will be shoulder pads and jersey before they move into pants loaded with thigh, knee, hip and tailbone protection.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #4
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why helements?.............People like to keep there brains were they are.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

It is different looking through a helmet. Takes some getting used to.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #6
real

not only that...Sometimes when you first get your helmet it doesn't fit right, and your neck isn't used to carrying the extra weight which sometimes causes headaches and stiff necks....But after a while of wearing it you get used to it
Old 06-12-2006   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

whoa I was looking at pictures of people wearing helmets in practice and wondering why they wear helmets in the hot sun and then I see Ben wreck without wearing his helmet.

that's creepy man.
Old 06-12-2006   #8
fastpitchwoof
Rookie

The way that these OTAs and mini camps are run these days it is nearly full speed anyway. Besides with all of the hand work by the linemen it helps to keep fingers out of each others eyes. Recievers, backs and QBs need to get used to seeing the ball with a mask on in front of their faces.
Old 06-12-2006   #9
done88
Veteran

Helmets are very tight on your head. When you wear them they put slight pressure on parts of your head. This pressure causes head achs and take some time to get used too. Once you start to wear them regularly for a couple of weeks you get used to them and it no longer happens. The helmets are also heavy. Your neck has to hold quite a bit more weight. When you start to get tired you muscles start to hurt incuding your neck. By wearing the helmet you are getting you neck back in shape and used to carring a helmet around. There are no real exercises that mimick wearing a helmet and actually wearing the helmet isn't hurting anything. Therefore every practice before the season starts without pads includes helmets. Once the season starts if they get a practice without pads they will usually wear basball caps because it allows the head and neck to rest.

Last edited by done88; 06-12-2006 at 03:59 PM.
done88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

this entire thread was full of helments. H-E-L-M-E-T, helmet.
Old 06-12-2006   #11
AFD1717
Veteran

I assumed it was to get used to seeing things through a face mask, but I had no idea about most of this stuff. This thread is quite educational.

How much longer until the season starts?
Old 06-12-2006   #12
done88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
this entire thread was full of helments. H-E-L-M-E-T, helmet.
Thank You I was in a hurry
Old 06-12-2006   #13
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
not only that...Sometimes when you first get your helmet it doesn't fit right, and your neck isn't used to carrying the extra weight which sometimes causes headaches and stiff necks....But after a while of wearing it you get used to it
Man that reminds me of my first time at football practice in high school - Sheesh what a headache!!! Playing with a helmet was truly strange the first few times until your eyes adjust and you see thru the grill clearly.
Old 06-12-2006   #14
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
Once the season starts if they get a practice without pads they will usually wear basball caps because it allows the head and neck to rest.
Ah yes... that's right I see no helmets with pads during the season too. I guess I can understand the splitting of developing/conditioning then. It just seemed odd looking at it.

The safety issue: I thought about that first, but then you don't get a lot head cuts when you play flag football. I don't think they do that much tackling in the first camps ( without pads ).
Old 06-12-2006   #15
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
Thank You I was in a hurry
it wasn't just you.
Old 06-12-2006   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Helmets? We don't need no stinkin helmets!

Today they dint wear helmets:

www.houstontexans.com news

Quote:
Practice report
June 12, 2006
By Carmine Pirone
HoustonTexans.com

One more and done: The Texans began their second mini-camp Monday without their helmets and instead had an intense walk through with a long team period. Houston’s second mini-camp was originally scheduled to go through Wednesday, but Gary Kubiak announced Monday that Tuesday will be the team’s last get together before training camp begins in earnest on July 27 th. Kubiak was pleased with Monday’s workout, but he was pretty clear about his sole objective over the next two days.

“It (practice) was good,” Kubiak said. “There was a couple of things we wanted to get done these last two days before we take a break this summer and I want to make sure we’re all healthy when we walk out of here tomorrow so we took the helmets off, but we still got a lot done.”

Some may think that practices that don’t even include head gear are easy, they’re not. Kubiak has spent the past few weeks trying to determine if the team can have an intense practice without pads, or in Monday’s case, helmets. Over the course of a long NFL season, it’s critical that teams can take it easy on their bodies and if the last few weeks have been a tryout for his new team to see if they can handle it, the new head man seems to have given the Texans a passing grade.

“I think we’ve learned how to practice without pads,” Kubiak said. “That’s important because I’d like to be able to do that. That was important from a tempo standpoint. What we expect, how we meet, how we come out here ready to practice, our tempo, the way we task them mentally, I think they responded well. The key will be that we can’t start over when we come back July 27 th.”

Landing a leader: Even with Houston’s long NFL tradition, some fans forget that the Texans will be competing in just their fifth season when the NFL kicks-off this fall. That hasn’t escaped Kubiak. High on the list of priorities when the Texans reconvene at the end of July will be finding some veteran leaders.

“I think the key to this team is that we find leaders,” Kubiak said. It’s such a young team, only four years. There are guys that have been here for a long time that people just look to when times are tough and we’ll find those people. We’ll establish those people in training camp. I feel good about that. It’s going to be a tough go ahead of them. It’s a tough division and we have to get ready to go. But we’ve had a good summer and we’ll finish strong tomorrow and we just have to maintain that when we come back.”

Shopping list: Like every other NFL team at this time of year, the Texans will be watching the NFL transaction wire closely over the next month in the hopes of adding some key additions before training camp. Kubiak addressed some of the team’s needs Monday.

“We’re going to continue to look,” Kubiak said. “I’ve talked about a veteran running back. We’re going to continue to look for a veteran fullback and this team, I think, will continue to look for a returner type, receiver guy. There won’t be a day where Rick (Smith) and I don’t see what’s going on.”

That veteran running back could be New Orleans’ Michael Bennett. It’s been widely speculated for some time that Houston has had interest in acquiring the six-year veteran out of Wisconsin. Kubiak confirmed that interest Monday.

“We’ve talked to them over and over again. To my understanding, he’s basically been their starting back over the offseason because Reggie (Bush) has missed some time and I don’t even think Deuce (McCallister) has worked so their not just going to let their starting running back go at this point. He’s a fine player and I’m sure we’ll talk to them throughout the summer, but it remains to be seen.”

Walter no more: One of the most improved areas of the Texans offense this fall will be the receiving corps. With a healthy Andre Johnson and with the addition of Eric Moulds, the Texans have one of the better one-two punches in the NFL. But another receiver has been making a name for himself over the past week. Kevin Walter came over from the Bengals this past offseason in a move that didn’t exactly make headlines.

However, Walter is already displaying an uncanny ability to get open and could slide into the slot as the Texans’ third wide receiver. It’s a role he’s interested in.

“I’m trying to strive to be the best receiver I can possibly be,” Walter said Monday. “I can only control how hard I work and I’m going to work hard and whatever that place is on the depth chart, that’s their (the coaches) decision.”

Walter was buried on a crowded Bengals depth chart since coming out of Eastern Michigan and he didn’t hold anything back when asked if he thought that this season might be his chance to make a name for himself.

“Most definitely,” Walter said. “But every year is a chance, a chance to go out there and prove what I can do. Hopefully, I’ll get a little more opportunity to show what I can do as a receiver, but I’m also going to bust my tail on special teams. Whatever they ask me to do, whatever coach asks me to do, I’m here to do it 100 percent.”

Walter also said he’s already seen improvements in the new Texans’ offense.

“From day one until now, we’ve made great strides on offense. I think we’re going to continue to do that well into training camp and the preseason and we’re going to work hard and get better from there.”
Old 06-12-2006   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Why helements?.............People like to keep there brains were they are.
..........and to get them more comfy with wearing them on those special occasions....................like when riding their MURDERCYCLES!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston’s second mini-camp was originally scheduled to go through Wednesday, but Gary Kubiak announced Monday that Tuesday will be the team’s last get together before training camp begins in earnest on July 27 th. Kubiak was pleased with Monday’s workout, but he was pretty clear about his sole objective over the next two days.
Interesting decision by Kubiak. Not only is he cutting this session short (which a lot of teams probably do as a reward) but he is not going to take advantage of the extra mini-camp the Texans could hold because he is a new head coach. I hope that is really a reflection of how the players have been performing and their progress rather than just a management ploy to express confidence and therefore build player confidence.
Old 06-12-2006   #19
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Interesting decision by Kubiak. Not only is he cutting this session short (which a lot of teams probably do as a reward) but he is not going to take advantage of the extra mini-camp the Texans could hold because he is a new head coach. I hope that is really a reflection of how the players have been performing and their progress rather than just a management ploy to express confidence and therefore build player confidence.
Same thing I was thinking when I read that story I-Cak. Personally I would have taken the extra sessions and used em for more tutoring of focus players like DC, Rosenfell, the WR corp and RB's on plays in the playbook and variations.

But I also understand the whole "Time to digest and apply" arguement from a players standpoint. Its hard to apply everything your reading all at once when things are new - I call it soaking in time.

My hunch is with a few of the starting unit allready banged up, perhaps he wanted to make sure all the potential "Starting players" got a little extra rest/extra time to go over the playbook and helping to make sure as many players can be healthy enough to participate in full on training sessions in July to evaluate everyone before he starts making some serious roster cuts.

I have a hunch Kubes sent them all home early with some "Summer School" homework for the next month too esp David Carr.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 06-12-2006 at 05:58 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #20
Tex Trenches
Veteran

Would you put a helmet on your child when he or she is ridding a bike with trainning wheels?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read