Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ/Moulds SI Article

Link: SI/AP article

Quote:
"You want to come in and have somebody to look up to to teach you the ropes," Johnson said. "My first few years I had to do that on my own because I had guys who were just the same age as I was. Now I got Eric here and anytime I have a question I can go to him and ask him about it and he'll help me out."

Johnson raves about how much Moulds has already helped him, relaying a story about how he showed him a better way to run a route the first time they practiced together in the offseason.

"When you have a guy who can coach you when the coach is not out here, it helps you out a whole lot," Johnson said.

The two were rarely seen apart during Houston's more than two-hour practice, and were all smiles when being interviewed together after it concluded.

"I see a guy that hasn't really had an opportunity to reach his potential," Moulds said. "I told him when I first got here, I think he can be the best receiver in this league. And it's my job as a receiver on the other side to help him get there."

Last season, Johnson had the worst production in his career while struggling with injuries that kept him off the field and double-teams when he was on it. He had just 688 yards receiving after earning a trip to the Pro Bowl with 1,142 yards in 2004.

"We have to find a way to get Andre one-on-one, and you can't do that until you get somebody on the other side," new coach Gary Kubiak said. "Eric has been super for us since he's been here."
Before being traded to Houston, the 33-year-old Moulds spent all of his 10-year career in Buffalo. He said he wouldn't return to Buffalo after refusing to take a pay cut. The four-time Pro Bowler had 81 receptions for 816 yards and four touchdowns in 15 games for Buffalo last season.

Although much has been made about how Moulds will help Johnson's game, Moulds thinks that Johnson will be as much of a help to him.

"I've never had another receiver on the side of me that's a Pro Bowl receiver," Moulds said. "For a young guy to accomplish that is a plus. The sky's the limit. He's going to get better, stronger, faster and he's going to want the ball. Anytime you have two guys that have been to the Pro Bowl we're going to push each other to get better."

The two often spend their free time together, with Johnson attending a barbecue at Moulds' house last weekend. They've agreed they want to become the best receiving duo in the league, a pretty lofty goal in an offense that was ranked among the league's worst last season.

"Even though I'm an older player, I've still got a lot left in the tank," Moulds said. "He feels like we can be the best tandem in the league and I feel that way, too. I think that this offense is going to give us the opportunity. We just got to go out and put it all together."

Said Johnson, "I just can't wait."

Excellent.

Last year, it was all about getting AJ the ball more. And the way they did it was those stupid flatfooted standing swingout passes that usually meant AJ got killed immediately, was a waste of his talents, and was totally predictable. If the entire offense is about getting one guy the ball more, the offense looks like crud if that guy gets hurt, like AJ did.

This year they are going to try to get AJ the ball more by demanding through a scheme that the entire field has to be defended.

So the response to a killer pass rush and not getting AJ the ball more isn't a tinkering shorter QB drops, max protect, and swing passes to AJ (which makes only the first 10 yard of the field relevant to the defense). It is an actual offense that tries to spread the defense and put them on their heels.

Also, this is the article that explains why Moulds was a better free agent WR choice for this team than some others.
Old 06-11-2006   #2
Tex Trenches
Veteran

Old 06-11-2006   #3
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Utilizing the TE in the middle of the field will help a ton.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #4
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I sit in the endzone (500's) and I can't tell you how many times the middle of the field was wide open. The defense knew we weren't going there so they cheated towards AJ and left the other two scrubs in one-on-one coverage. Guess what? We never adjusted and sent someone to the middle.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 39800 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Last year, it was all about getting AJ the ball more. And the way they did it was those stupid flatfooted standing swingout passes that usually meant AJ got killed immediately, was a waste of his talents, and was totally predictable.
Don't hold back. How do you really feel about it?
Old 06-11-2006   #6
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always admired how Moulds plays. I think as significant his influence will be on AJ, it will also be a large part of why David Carr has his best season as a pro.

Eric's talent, experience, attitude and enthusiasm will make the entire offense better. I won't predict our record, but I think we'll be in most if not every game, and we'll be entertaining.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #7
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb
Utilizing the TE in the middle of the field will help a ton.

I have been to every Texans home game and I am a little confused what is this TE you speak about?
Old 06-11-2006   #8
touttail
All Pro

A top WR like AJ getting advice and coaching from another top notch WR Moulds. WOW, can't be anything but positives and great learnings for AJ!!!!
Look out opposing DB's!

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #9
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
I have been to every Texans home game and I am a little confused what is this TE you speak about?
Your confusion is understandable. He has previously been listed as the "Third Tackle." Hope that helps.
Old 06-11-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 39800 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
There must have been a rule change this year. The TE, previously known as "the skinny extra tackle", is now going to be an eligible receiver. The theory is that this change could make offenses more potent.

Old 06-11-2006   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Don't hold back. How do you really feel about it?
HA! This is restrained. You should have heard me in the stands. I do not like being vulgar, but things got profanity bad. I can understand when well designed plays do not work because that happens. But it was just so painful.

Everytime AJ got that stupid swing pass for little gain, I felt like I was dying. Seeing plays of that sort is like watching your grandmother drive a Ferrari. It's just wrong and a total waste.

Dude is a tall athletic, fight off the defenders, lightning quick, jump over tall buildings freak, and we were doing swing passes as his bread and butter get him the ball play? The horror. The horror.

This is just the most blatent example of misusing talent on the team last year. You could look at any number of players and talk about how schemes didn't match talent last year.

Bygones.

Take a deep breath.

Bygones.

Really, I would like to focus more on looking forward than looking back.
Old 06-11-2006   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 355985 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb
I sit in the endzone (500's) and I can't tell you how many times the middle of the field was wide open. The defense knew we weren't going there so they cheated towards AJ and left the other two scrubs in one-on-one coverage. Guess what? We never adjusted and sent someone to the middle.
No doubt, man. I sit in the 500s, too (right above the owner's box), and we'd see so many open spots in the middle of the field that it got frustrating. But our offense was so predictable, plus the fact that Carr either didn't get enough time in the pocket, couldn't trust the pocket when it did exist, or he'd have the tendency to lock onto one receiver.

We hoped things would change when Palmer got fired, but it only got worse from there.
Old 06-11-2006   #13
Htown34s
Veteran

Very nice article!

Man, the more I read about some of these elementary changes and easy problems being fixed the more I think how our coaching staff was to blame for a lot of the previous failures.
Old 06-11-2006   #14
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

YES!!!! Can't wait for this duo to start wreaking havoc on opposing defenses...no more AJ by himself-show.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #15
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
There must have been a rule change this year. The TE, previously known as "the skinny extra tackle", is now going to be an eligible receiver. The theory is that this change could make offenses more potent.

Gotta agree with this theory whole heartdly. It appears there is some serious talent at TE this year and I really hope Joppru gets past the injury problems this year to see if he is as good on the field as he is on paper. (Wasn't he drafted ahead of Witten that plays TE for the other Texas team?)

Between the WR's and TE's this year someone may be making a fortune selling the oppisition's DB's ulcer medicine.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #16
HARRYJ
A Great Pretender

Rep Power: 125 HARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respected

Houstons "skinny extra tackle" will get to meet Mr. Trotter and Mr. Dawkins on the first day of the season. I sure hope they survive!

Thanks AzWhoopr, for my siggy!
HARRYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #17
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 144801 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I've never had another receiver on the side of me that's a Pro Bowl receiver," Moulds said.
To think that Moulds has been that productive w/o someone as athletic as AJ on the other side can't help but make you feel better & better about where this offense can go!

Now, I want to see Joppru play a down of regular-season ball and see what it's like to have a real TE for the first time in Texans history.
disaacks3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #18
HARRYJ
A Great Pretender

Rep Power: 125 HARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respectedHARRYJ is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans should be vastly improved this year.

Thanks AzWhoopr, for my siggy!
HARRYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #19
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Troll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRYJ
Houstons "skinny extra tackle" will get to meet Mr. Trotter and Mr. Dawkins on the first day of the season. I sure hope they survive!

I guess Philly doesn't have much of a MB, or is this TROLL DAY?

Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006   #20
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Nah, HarryJ is cool - he vists TexansTalk quite often (prolly more than I) but he's alright. Eagles fan first and Texans 2nd I do believe.

Back to subject, thanks for the link TChick, good to see AJ getting the mentoring and the assistance at the same time.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read