Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2004   #21
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

I hear ya on that. Oh, I'm all for pre-season games but we know that's not the big thing. They blew us out big time last year in pre-season but we know as well as they do that it was only a pre-season game. They know to not even throw that in our face. As far as the record shows...Texans are 1-0 vs. Cowboys.
Old 04-30-2004   #22
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think washington's got dibs on a rivalry game against dallas. my guess is ours will progress more towards the titans for obvious reasons. while i'd love to build up a big thing between the teams, you'll get no complaints from me for currently being undefeated against the cowgirls.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #23
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
The problem would be with teams that really don't have a natural rival, their rival is already in the division or there's more than one "natural" rival (Tampa Bay, Miami and Jacksonville).
I agree there. Tampa Bay and Miami COULD have a good rivalry if the schedule were re-worked, but Jacksonville's too far removed from Miami's mindset to even acknowledge as a possible rival. It'd be like trying to call San Diego a rival of the 49ers. Honestly, though, the AFC East rivalries are so strong that proximity doesn't even matter. Dolphins fans HAAAAATE the Jets and there's no love lost for the other division rivals, either.

The preseason Cowboys/Texans games don't interest me much. The Cowboys will always come out and try to thump the Texans because they can't afford to get HUMILIATED again like they did in Houston's opening game. And the Texans will stick to only running a few different plays, pretty much ignoring Dallas's desperate attempts to hold the attention of their bandwagoners. What's the point? Let's try to get them on the nonconference schedule every 2-3 years--THEN it would be cool.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #24
777texans
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to 777texans Send a message via MSN to 777texans Send a message via Yahoo to 777texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by torro_1
simply put, dallas and houston exsist in the same state, when they come together it is a good game, I would like to see them play on a regular basis, do yall feel the same? If so how could it happen? If not why.
That would be cool if the two Texas team faced each other more often in regular season.

Houston Texans first game(s) of the season
2-0
777texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #25
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan
Default umm

Quote:
simply put, dallas and houston exsist in the same state, when they come together it is a good game, I would like to see them play on a regular basis, do yall feel the same? If so how could it happen? If not why.

umm no, 4 years is a good thing,an in state rivalry,should not be played every year,the anticipation of the game means more excitement,betterplay calling,and ofcourse bragging rights for the next 4 years,and I like bragging for 4 years.TOROTOONS WHERE COWBOYS AND TITANS SUCK
Old 05-01-2004   #26
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

No. It is not that important. I would rather play a team that gets respect as a good quality team.
Old 03-20-2005   #27
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
The Dallas vs Houston is so overated. We always get them during the preseason
and it don't count jack!
This stems from decades of embarrasment when the Oilers were the worst team in the NFL and the Cowboys were in there heyday. Dallas fans became arrogant as long term sucessfull people, companys and countries will do. EVERONE's rival was Dallas. Americas Team! wow..thats bold. But the fact is Dallas has the most fans in Texas still, not to mention Oklahoma and Mexico. Tom Landry's leadership skills and ability to develope the right chemistry in personel gets more apparent as time goes by and the Cowboys flounder. Sure JJ took em but Tom made the Cowboys a dynasty admired and envied for there success world wide. He also developed his players, FA's didnt exist for him like they do now. Now that the Texans are a better team than the Cowboys, Houstonians are loving it. However, I think the best natural rivalry that has developped ( as rivals should ) is with the Jags. These two teams really hate each other and they play 2 meaningfull games every year. I hate the Jags for there dirty play and the lack of respect they give the Texans. Cowboys have been so successfull they are walking targets, Redskin vs Cowboy classics. Cowboys and 49ers. Cowboys and Pitt, Cowboys and Philly, Cowboys and Giants. The only rival the Oilers ever had was Pitt and maybe Buffalo.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2005   #28
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think an easier solution than trying to set up some kind of "rivalry" game.. would be to put the Texans in the NFC, or the Cowboys in the AFC. That way, there would at least be the chance of meeting in the postseason without it having to be a superbowl.

though if there is ever a "Texas Bowl" with Dallas and Houston going to the SB.. watch out.. that is gonna be some scary sh** there.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #29
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I think an easier solution than trying to set up some kind of "rivalry" game.. would be to put the Texans in the NFC, or the Cowboys in the AFC. That way, there would at least be the chance of meeting in the postseason without it having to be a superbowl.

though if there is ever a "Texas Bowl" with Dallas and Houston going to the SB.. watch out.. that is gonna be some scary sh** there.

If both teams keep improving over the next 5 years or so, and Houston gets another SB around that time, could be ALL Texas, IN Texas

Riots in the streets as Athens and Sparta clash once again, this time on the gridiron.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #30
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Im not sure if you noticed, but last season Dallas rocked, and we went home with a 5-11 record. Also the scorched us in preseason. Im not saying that this year we wouldnt give them a run for their money, but if we faced Dallas this year, my money would be on Dallas. Parcels has that team fireing on all cylinders.

If we played them this year I could see an outcome of a Dallas win. 27-17.

JMHO.
Isn't it fun to look back on posts that are almost a year old. I know that hindsight is 20/20 but what happened to the "Cowboys rocked" and "Cowboys firing on all cylinders"?

They ended up 6-10 and we were 7-9.

JMHO
Old 03-20-2005   #31
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:

Ain't happening, they offered Jerry Jones and Bob McNair the opportunity to meet year in and out in regular season Bob was ok with it, Jerry said un uh we will play our regular rotation...meaning every SIX years..consider how we beat him regular season and pasted them last preseason...you got to figure Jerry isn't so dumb after all
Old 03-20-2005   #32
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

It will be nicer to play them when they get that new stadium. When is that gonna be.. 2009?
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #33
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
Ain't happening, they offered Jerry Jones and Bob McNair the opportunity to meet year in and out in regular season Bob was ok with it, Jerry said un uh we will play our regular rotation...meaning every SIX years..consider how we beat him regular season and pasted them last preseason...you got to figure Jerry isn't so dumb after all
This isn't accurate. The NFL has a scheduling forumla and didn't offer to deviate it for Jones or McNair.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #34
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with JWWILLIS, the Oiler / Steeler rivalry was true. I hated the Steelers. Beating Dallas is just a warm and fuzzy feeling for us. However, I thoroughly enjoyed it when we beat them. I would like to see them in the regular season maybe every 4 years.
Old 03-20-2005   #35
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
Ain't happening, they offered Jerry Jones and Bob McNair the opportunity to meet year in and out in regular season Bob was ok with it, Jerry said un uh we will play our regular rotation...meaning every SIX years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
This isn't accurate. The NFL has a scheduling forumla and didn't offer to deviate it for Jones or McNair.
Also the Texans play the Cowboys (and every NFC team) every four years, not six.

The current scheduling plan is the best one the NFL has had in my lifetime. Under the previous plans, Dallas was able to avoid playing at Green Bay for about 30 years. Now there is a set schedule for every team in the NFL to play each other at home and on the road within a certain amount of time. Non-conference teams will play each other every 4 years, and in the next rotation they switch fields so every fan can see a non-conference opponent at home every 8 years. Conference opponents are on a 3 year rotation.

Also, each team in each division plays almost the same schedule, with just two games different according to where they ranked the previous season. This allows teams competing against each other in a division to have a pretty level playing field.

There is no way I want to see the current scheduling process change.

Leave it be!
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #36
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

If I am not mistaken.. the announcer for NFL Films coined the phrase "America's team" and not the Cowboys.. and the reason he said it was because the Cowboys are a love/hate thing and nothing in between... People like to see the Cowboys win along with people will watch the cowboys just to see them lose.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #37
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

No, it shouldn't be that way.
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #38
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Absolutely! I'd like to see the Governor's Cup be a regular season game each year.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #39
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan
Absolutely! I'd like to see the Governor's Cup be a regular season game each year.
unfortunately, that isn't how the cookie crumbles and it will never be that way
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005   #40
DBLR1
Rookie

Thanksgiving, every year, tha boys get biatch slapped!!! gobble gobble
DBLR1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read