Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-09-2006   #1
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Weaver making the transition to defensive tackle

Texans | Weaver making the transition to defensive tackle
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 05:59:19 -0700

The Associated Press reports Houston Texans DL Anthony Weaver has been moved from defensive end to tackle. Having never played tackle exclusively, he knows the transition will take time. He said making the switch is not as difficult as dealing with the Texas' heat. "It's a little bit of a shock to my system," Weaver said of the 90 degree heat combined with Houston's trademark stifling humidity. "Hopefully I'll get acclimated to it, but for now I'm still trying to do that." The Texans decision to pick DE Mario Williams first in the NFL Draft pushed Weaver to tackle. Texans head coach Gary Kubiak likes the way Weaver has already become comfortable on his new team. At practice, Weaver is often seen giving high-fives and shouting words of encouragement. Though he's made the move to tackle, he still feels a responsibility to help make Williams' transition to the NFL smooth.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #2
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

somehow got 2 threads, mods can you please delete one
Old 06-09-2006   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice to know he was willing to do so. I hope this works.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #4
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Just alittle worried that the Texans gave him alot of money to play DE and now he is playing DT
Old 06-09-2006   #5
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Had a question...

Would it be easier for Weaver to play DT than for Williams to play DT?

I am just wondering because Weaver has been playing DE for some time now, unless he's played that position before.
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo
Had a question...

Would it be easier for Weaver to play DT than for Williams to play DT?

I am just wondering because Weaver has been playing DE for some time now, unless he's played that position before.
DE is definitely the more complicated of the two positions...So other than the physical aspect, I don't see weaver having much trouble with the conversion
Old 06-09-2006   #7
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
DE is definitely the more complicated of the two positions...So other than the physical aspect, I don't see weaver having much trouble with the conversion

Thanks!
santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2006   #8
CMoak1982
Rookie

Weaver played DT at Notre Dame, he came out as one. When he was drafted by the Ravens they were running a 34, where he played DE, and as we all know 34 DE are DT's, he'll be fine there, we'll have a very athletic line.
CMoak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaver with Payne or Smith next to him at DT should make for a tough up the gut D and let the MLB, whoever that turns out to be, have a much easier time being aggressive.
Old 06-09-2006   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114
Just alittle worried that the Texans gave him alot of money to play DE and now he is playing DT
The Texans will spend $14 million in cap room this season on 4 DT's (Weaver, Smith, Payne, & Johnson). Over the past 3 years, the Texans have handed out about $32 million in bonus money to players now playing DT. That number doesn't include Gary Walker's signing bonus.
Old 06-09-2006   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Like most of us, I'm delighted with what appears to be a fast and positive
start for Kubiak & Co. And the college Draft was very strong, probably the
best one we've had so far. But of course, only time will tell about how productive the Draft will be for us.
But at the same time, lets be candid and honest about the Weaver acqusision in FA. It was a screw-up, plain and simple when taken in the context of drafting Mario #1, because as we know we got Weaver to play
the same position Mario will be playing. And a clear indication we had intended to draft somebody, anybody but another strong-side DE (wonder who we had in mind ?). But that's another subject. If I were to put it diplomatically, it was a "miscalculation".
Now perhaps every thing will work out OK capwise, because that's the biggest consideration. Fortunately, Weaver is young (25-26 I think) anyhow and we have a good chance of getting value from him over the life if his contract, unlike Payne who's time is probably limited. I would just hope he
is one of our 2 best DTs, because he'd be a very expensive luxury if his primary role ends up being Mario's backup.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #12
SESupergenius

I would say either Robiare or Payne has got to be cut pretty soon, we can't keep that much on the payroll to go against the cap.
Old 06-09-2006   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I would say either Robiare or Payne has got to be cut pretty soon, we can't keep that much on the payroll to go against the cap.
The Texans are under the cap, even taking into consideration the rest of the rookie signings. Unless there's someone still on the free agent market they're interested in (who?), I think all the DTs will stick. Maybe a trade could come down if a team loses a DT in the preseason? I think the point is that on March 11th, the Texans weren't considering drafting Mario Williams.
Old 06-09-2006   #14
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I think the point is that on March 11th, the Texans weren't considering drafting Mario Williams.
IMO, it's not that they weren't considering it, it is that no decision had been made and a reasonable plan in the face of uncertainity, would be to grab a good DE when available as one was not on the team at that point. In 20/20 hindsite, perhaps not a perfect aquisition, but hardly a disaster.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #15
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
In 20/20 hindsite, perhaps not a perfect aquisition, but hardly a disaster.
I'm not calling it a disaster. Weaver's a good player. I just don't think they would have given the guy a $12 million bonus if there was a decent chance of taking a DE with the 1st pick and Weaver moving inside.

Right now, the Texans are paying for a dominant defensive line. That's OK, as long as they dominate. For the Texans to win on Sundays, these guys have to beat the oppositions o-line.
Old 06-09-2006   #16
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I disagree, I dont know how you could call the aquistion bad at all, we were switching to 4-3 whether we drafted mario or not, wich meant we needed more defensive lineman than linebackers, whether he plays DE or DT Weaver will be valuable talent on the D-line.
Old 06-09-2006   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer
I disagree, I dont know how you could call the aquistion bad at all, we were switching to 4-3 whether we drafted mario or not, wich meant we needed more defensive lineman than linebackers, whether he plays DE or DT Weaver will be valuable talent on the D-line.
Yea, but you need LBs and DBs to, and that's just the Defense. And cap bucks are a finite resource, and the winning formul includes manageing that very valuable resource better than the competition.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Love the cap talk, but lets see what the results are from the investment before we start yelling the sky is falling.
Old 06-09-2006   #19
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
The Texans are under the cap, even taking into consideration the rest of the rookie signings. Unless there's someone still on the free agent market they're interested in (who?), I think all the DTs will stick. Maybe a trade could come down if a team loses a DT in the preseason? I think the point is that on March 11th, the Texans weren't considering drafting Mario Williams.
My point was we can't keep that much of cap hit amongst those players that will be doing nothing but riding the pine. We will be paying starter money to nonstarters, that's not good in my book consider we could spend the money to acquire a starter of the players that are still avail or those that might get cut.
Old 06-09-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
My point was we can't keep that much of cap hit amongst those players that will be doing nothing but riding the pine. We will be paying starter money to nonstarters, that's not good in my book consider we could spend the money to acquire a starter of the players that are still avail or those that might get cut.
The problems with that theory are (a) waiving Payne or Robaire is either a negative or almost neutral cap affect and (b) who is available or likely to be available to play a starting role during the remainder of this off-season.

The one thing which could happen IMO is a trade (which is fairly rare) where they suck up their cap hit and we suck up ours and both get a player for their base salaries scrubbed of the responsibility to sign them with a new signing bonus.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read