Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-09-2006   #1
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default Favorite playoff game (not involving your favorite team)

What is your favorite playoff game of all time in the NFL that doesn't include your favorite team at the time, AND wasn't a Super Bowl.

Mine was the Chargers/Dolphins Divisional Game in 1981. The game was in Miami and it was extremely humid. The Chargers jumped out to a 24-0 in the 1st, but the Dolphins countered with 17 points of their own in the 2nd. The Dolphins had a 7 point lead late and the ball deep in Chargers territory. They fumbled the ball, and Fouts mounted a drive so quickly that it actually left some time on the clock. The Chargers swib-kicked it, and it backfired. The Dolphins got the ball the ball just short of midfield. They easily got within chip-shot FG range with seconds left on the clock. Kellen Winslow (the honorable one), blocked the FG and sent the game into OT. It went on to be the longest game in NFL history. Here is the rest of the story:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs98/ne.../01034924.html

Last edited by TheOgre; 06-09-2006 at 09:11 AM.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #2
real

I cant remember that far back, but My favorite playoff game would have to be.... I think it was 1994 Dallas Vs. San Fran...the division title...That was a great game...
Old 06-09-2006   #3
houstonbuckeye
Rookie

Default the giants vs. eagles playoff in 1981

it was sweet to beat the eagles in the vet after the famous fumble in giants stadium, back in the mid 70's.
houstonbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Chargers Dolphins game. Kellen Winslow may have had the best playoff football performance in a game ever. Do you remeber that hook and ladder at the end of the game? Absolute drama.
Old 06-09-2006   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I had forgotten about that play until you mentioned it. I have seen about 5 minutes of that game on ESPN classic. If it is on again, I may tape it. I started to wonder if someone might die on the field that day since it was so humid.
Old 06-09-2006   #6
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

67 Ice Bowl - Packers over Cowboys
88 Broncos Browns game was hard to watch, but I kept looking.

1997 was the best year I could remember

Jacksonville beats the Broncos 30-27 : Broncos went up early, then fell behind. By the time the fourth quarter came around, the Elway comeback legend was brewing something fierce. And still brewing until every last second ticked off the clock. I bet there where still people thinking Elway was going to make a comeback after the clock expired! Like a penalty would be called and they had to put 3 more seconds on the clock or something. Just enough to get him back on the field. It was crazy.

Packers over 49ers
Dom Capers beats the Powboys
Pats drub the Steelers

Still a terrible year though. I never watched so much college ball in my entire life! I even watched Army play... that's how bad it got. Thank Kali-Shiva for Peyton Manning or I would have killed myself with boredom watching baseball that summer.
Old 06-09-2006   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Tennessee vs Buffalo. The game with the lateral. When was that? 99?

Patriots vs Oakland. Tuck rule. Nuff said.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
67 Ice Bowl - Packers over Cowboys
88 Broncos Browns game was hard to watch, but I kept looking.

1997 was the best year I could remember

Jacksonville beats the Broncos 30-27 : Broncos went up early, then fell behind. By the time the fourth quarter came around, the Elway comeback legend was brewing something fierce. And still brewing until every last second ticked off the clock. I bet there where still people thinking Elway was going to make a comeback after the clock expired! Like a penalty would be called and they had to put 3 more seconds on the clock or something. Just enough to get him back on the field. It was crazy.

Packers over 49ers
Dom Capers beats the Powboys
Pats drub the Steelers

Still a terrible year though. I never watched so much college ball in my entire life! I even watched Army play... that's how bad it got. Thank Kali-Shiva for Peyton Manning or I would have killed myself with boredom watching baseball that summer.
Did you not see the Dolphins/Chargers game?
Old 06-09-2006   #9
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I cant remember that far back, but My favorite playoff game would have to be.... I think it was 1994 Dallas Vs. San Fran...the division title...That was a great game...

that game was a HUGE ripoff. larry allen was getting his arse handed to him all first half and when the cowboys begin making their comeback they get kicked in the head by that no pass interference call on deion in the 4th quater.

BUT, the best playoff games would have to be the 94 colts steelers game where harbaugh throws up the hail mary in the last play, but better than that was the 99 titans bills game with that kickoff miracle.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #10
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

The first one that comes back to mind is the Eagles vs. Packers.

Who could ever forget: 4th and 26
Old 06-10-2006   #11
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Did you not see the Dolphins/Chargers game?
O yeah for sure... like a 100 times now with NFL Films re-running the show every summer. I had to work with "not your favourite team at the time" though.
I liked the Fouts era Chargers and the Shula Dolphins ( plus I felt little let down and confused with the Houston FO in 1981.. or was it 82?. I think that was the closest I ever came to jumping ship and not supporting Houston anymore )

I am not a Packers guy... or Cowboys, Broncos, or Browns so those stuck out the most.

Then of course 1997 topped it off, I was like a rejected whore fan those years. I pretty much slept with everyone. So I didn't really have any favourites yet.
Old 06-10-2006   #12
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

THE CATCH

the 49ers trailed by 7 they had the ball on the dallas 6 with 58 seconds to go. On third and three montana eluded the cowboys rush and threw into the end zone where clark managed some amazing way to grab it at the back of the end zone while way way up high. Unbelievably high. the PAT put the 49ers ahead but the cowboys managed to almost get into field goal range before a Danny White fumble was pounced on by San Francisco.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmmm hard to pick one, but here's a recent one.

Pats v. Raiders January 2002. 16-13 OT win by Patriots.

I didn't really care about this game at all and was at a friend's house for a big party. None of us really cared about the game but the whole party stopped to watch it.
Close game. Bigtime snowstorm. Snowing so hard that it was a weird game to watch.

And then the controversial call at the end. Brady's arm--going forward or no when his arm was hit?

One of those really crushing kind of games if you end up on the wrong side of the score.
Old 06-10-2006   #14
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator
that game was a HUGE ripoff. larry allen was getting his arse handed to him all first half and when the cowboys begin making their comeback they get kicked in the head by that no pass interference call on deion in the 4th quater.

Well I wasn't really old enough to understand all of that...but everyones favorite game will probably be different for different reasons...That game made me fall in love with football...Deion was the man!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2006   #15
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Pats v. Raiders January 2002. 16-13 OT win by Patriots.
That was one of the best playoff games ive ever watched. Close game, finished off with the legendary Vinatieri kick to send them to their first SB win. That had to have been one of the greatest clutch wins in recent years, at least in the playoffs. Vinatieri pretty much won the 3 SBs for the Pats, but we weren't talking about SBs, hehe. It was also fun to see refs getting pegged by snowballs!
Old 06-11-2006   #16
Keldar
Veteran

I do not remember the year, late 70's or early 80's I guess, but Vince Ferragamo(sp) and the Rams beat the Cowgirls. I was at my brother's house near Dallas, and was the only one in the house rooting for the Rams. Yee Haw!!!!!!
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldar
I do not remember the year, late 70's or early 80's I guess, but Vince Ferragamo(sp) and the Rams beat the Cowgirls. I was at my brother's house near Dallas, and was the only one in the house rooting for the Rams. Yee Haw!!!!!!
NFC: Los Angeles Rams 21, Dallas Cowboys 19
Quarter 1 2 3 4 Tot
Rams 0 14 0 7 21
Cowboys 2 3 7 7 19
at Texas Stadium, Irving, Texas

TV: CBS
Quarterback Vince Ferragamo led the Rams to a victory by throwing for 3 touchdown passes, the last one with 2:06 left in the game. The Cowboys scored first when defensive tackle Randy White sacked Ferragamo in the end zone for a safety. However, Ferragamo responded by throwing a 32-yard touchdown pass to receiver Wendell Tyler. Dallas kicker Rafael Septien kicked a 33-yard field goal with 52 seconds left in the first half, but Ferragamo completed a 43-yard touchdown pass to Ron Smith before time expired to make it a 14-5 halftime lead. The Cowboys then scored 2 unanswered touchdowns in the second half to take the lead, 19-14. With about 2 minutes left in the game, the Rams had the ball near midfield. Ferragamo's pass was tipped into the air by Dallas linebacker Mike Hegman, but Rams wide receiver Billy Waddy caught the ball before it hit the ground and ran into the end zone for the winning touchdown.

Scoring
DAL - Safety, R. White tackled Ferragamo in end zone
LA - Tyler 32 pass from Ferragamo (Corral kick)
DAL - FG Septien 33
LA - R. Smith 43 pass from Ferragamo (Corral kick)
DAL - Springs 1 run (Septien kick)
DAL - Saldi 2 pass from Staubach (Septien kick)
LA - Waddy 50 pass from Ferragamo (Corral kick)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1979-80

That was the divisional round the year the Rams went to the Super Bowl and lost to the Steelers (1979 season).
Old 06-12-2006   #18
Keldar
Veteran

Thanks Ogre!!!!

That was like reliving it all again. Them were definitely the good ol' days.
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #19
Tex Trenches
Veteran

Rams vs. Titans

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read