Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-08-2006   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up New article on Wand

Seems like this has been on here before, but it shows me the ineptness of Capers' staff. Well, once the season starts it will. I think the play of the OL and DL will be the best barometer of Kubiaks ability and Capers' failings.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News
Old 06-08-2006   #2
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I was waiting for some one else to post this article. My favorite line in this article is "Mickey Mouse Stuff" when referring to the previous year. We are seeing article after article coming out on how players are responding to the new coaching staff and appearing to be infinitely better than thought. Another common theme is yea forget the tapes or film of last year.

I've said before I don't think the current coaching staff could believe what they were seeing on tape and film. Yes, it was that bad. Many of us have said don't judge our players by what they did in the past. Judge them based on what the new staff is saying. The irony of that is that's what the current staff is saying to our players. We are not going to judge based on the past, but what you do know. You're starting with a clean slate.

It is absolutely astonding how many people are stepping up to the plate. They want to play football and want to forget the past. They all indicate they want to work hard and make the team. They don't mind the competition, they just want a fair chance. The previous team must have been a political nightmare.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I
It is absolutely astonding how many people are stepping up to the plate. They want to play football and want to forget the past. They all indicate they want to work hard and make the team. They don't mind the competition, they just want a fair chance. The previous team must have been a political nightmare.
Very good points. I can't wait for training camp and see the names of the cream rising to the top. I bet it will looklike some of the threads on here asking why certain players are on the bench....
Old 06-08-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Good stuff.

Quote:
Things are already on the upswing for Wand. At this point in the offseason he seems to be planted in the starting lineup, and he’s enjoying every minute so far.
He has the attitude and the skills to take advantage of this chance. I'm glad to see this staff make decisions on football ability rather than other things. I'm not surprised at what he and the coaches had to say, but it was good to see it in print.

I fully expect this to continue through the season, and if he does continue to play to the standards set by these coaches, he will be a cornerstone of the o-line. Go Wando!
Old 06-08-2006   #5
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather have Spencer take over after a while, unless Wand does his thing like the coaches think he can do.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"“You always get the money defensive end, the best pass rusher,” Wand said. “You’re always going to get the blitzes from that side. You always have to be aware of who you’re playing against, being aware of what they like to do blitz-wise.”
And if Wand can deliver this year at LT, as an UFA next year he'll be the money guy himself at offensive tackle.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I would rather have Spencer take over after a while, unless Wand does his thing like the coaches think he can do.
I'd like to have the better player play, regardless of the last name on the jersey.
Old 06-08-2006   #8
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I'd like to have the better player play, regardless of the last name on the jersey.
Great..........I am sure everyone feels the same way.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"“You always get the money defensive end, the best pass rusher,” Wand said. “You’re always going to get the blitzes from that side. You always have to be aware of who you’re playing against, being aware of what they like to do blitz-wise.”
And if Wand can deliver this year at LT, as an UFA next year he'll be the money guy himself at offensive tackle.
Yep. That is the danger of these one year tenders. What's a coaching staff/front office to do? They probably could have gotten a reasonable long term contract done this year if they tried, but that carries more risk than seeing how the season turns out. However, if the season turns out well for Wand he's a high value free agent at a critical position.
Old 06-08-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Great..........I am sure everyone feels the same way.
I'm not so sure about that. People hold grudges around here.
Old 06-08-2006   #11
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Seth Wand and I was always intrigued by his potential. Hope he solidifies his position as our left tackle for now and the future.
Old 06-08-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"“We’re dealing with the present,” Sherman said. “The only evaluation I have to go by is what he does each and every day he is out here. I’ve seen film from last year, but it wouldn’t be fair to hold anything I might see on film against our players.”
Sherman added that while Wand still has some technique issues to work on, he likes Wand a lot as an athlete and thinks he can be a solid left tackle in the NFL.
“From an athletic standpoint, for a big guy, he really can move around very well,” Sherman said. “Athletically, what you look for from a left tackle as a pass blocker and a run blocker, he certainly possesses the talent you need in those areas.”
Can you imagine, after what poor ole Seth went thru last year with the bozo
coaching crew the Texans had, to have a guy who has a line on his resume
which reads, "Head Coach, Green Bay Packers: 2000-2005", say those things
about you as your current OL coach. Wand probably pinchs himself every
day at practice.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #13
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"“We’re dealing with the present,” Sherman said. “The only evaluation I have to go by is what he does each and every day he is out here. I’ve seen film from last year, but it wouldn’t be fair to hold anything I might see on film against our players.”
Sherman added that while Wand still has some technique issues to work on, he likes Wand a lot as an athlete and thinks he can be a solid left tackle in the NFL.
“From an athletic standpoint, for a big guy, he really can move around very well,” Sherman said. “Athletically, what you look for from a left tackle as a pass blocker and a run blocker, he certainly possesses the talent you need in those areas.”
Can you imagine, after what poor ole Seth went thru last year with the bozo
coaching crew the Texans had, to have a guy who has a line on his resume
which reads, "Head Coach, Green Bay Packers: 2000-2005", say those things
about you as your current OL coach. Wand probably pinchs himself every
day at practice.
I pinch myself twice everyday ...
Old 06-08-2006   #14
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 6383 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
I pinch myself twice everyday ...
Brandon....you're a hoot.
bayoudreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This would make a good sig.

"I’ve seen film from last year, but it wouldn’t be fair to hold anything I might see on film against our players.” Mike Sherman

It is a motto we might need to live by for a while.
Old 06-08-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
"I’ve seen film from last year, but it wouldn’t be fair to hold anything I might see on film against our players.” Mike Sherman

Agreed. I think 2005 season film is especially worthless for player evaluation. I've said before that there were so many things going wrong simultaneously - coaching, schemes, teammates not doing well or out of position, attitude, injuires, etc. - it is hard to accurately evaluate individual players.
Old 06-08-2006   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow, that is almost an indictment. That wasn't PC at all.
Old 06-08-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I was about to post that myself. What an indictment.
Old 06-08-2006   #19
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:

I'm going to try it on for size
Old 06-08-2006   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Sherman is licking his chops because he knows he will get the sweet HC gig next season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read