Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-08-2006   #1
Keldar
Veteran

Default SI.com Carr/Texans Article

Not much new info, but a good read anyway. I need my fix anyway I can get it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ans/index.html
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like what should be happening is happening.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty good read. This little nugget from Carr stood out to me:

Quote:
I get called out regularly in the team meetings -- and you know what? It's kind of nice.
I had heard that players who had basically gotten a free pass the past couple of years were hearing criticsm for a change when they made mistakes, while others who never heard anything but criticism were acknowledged when they did something well.

I'd think that makes for better results in the long run.
Old 06-08-2006   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else notice how we've read how Gary Kubiak likes having people that will stand up for what they believe and not just go with the flow? Then you got this situation where everyone agreed on Carr.

Now if Kubiak's staff is in agreement about Carr that should mean everyone honestly felt that way. I think they kind of hinted towards saying how poorly coached he has been early on in his career.

Once they go on mentioning the talent around us offensively, you start getting the picture around here this year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The article talks of bad habits, which is something that just not Carr, but all the returning Texans from the 2005 season, have to abate. The biggest bad habit, of course, is losing (and it is a habit a team can get into), so I am piqued to hear about Carr's boost in confidence. His confidence will affect the team's confidence. If anyone can turn this team around, I think Kubiak and Sherman are the guys to do it.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #6
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

The two best quotes from the article were:

Kubiak:
"We've got to work him out of some of those bad habits he developed as a pro," Kubiak says of Carr. "Already, I've put him through about three camps' worth of intensive instruction, which makes sense, because he had to make the most progress of anyone."

and

Carr:
"This offense is refreshing," Carr says. "It's crisp, and there aren't too many holes in it. It gets the ball out of my hand faster, and it always gives you a way out of every situation. The coaches tell us, 'When we call plays, we're guessing, but don't guess when you go through your reads. There will always be somewhere to go.'"
Old 06-08-2006   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps one of the most enjoyable articles to read about our team thus far.

GREAT FIND. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2006   #8
wrestler4life
Veteran

Reading something like this is awesome for this year! But at the same time, it is freakin irritating that for 4 years, it was not at all like this!
wrestler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life
But at the same time, it is freakin irritating that for 4 years, it was not at all like this!
Ain't that the truth!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Makes me wonder what McNair was thinking for the last 2 yrs (after it was obvious what our weaknesses were)when we did absolutely nothing to improve the O-line, kept putting Cory "Disappearing Man" Bradford on the field, kept DaShon Polk and other lesser known names on the bench in spite of poor performances by the starters, under Capers.
I also feel that Capers' biggest downfall is his reliance on "name recognition" and veteran free agency to build a team. Worked for him for 2 yrs in Carolina and he thought it would work again. Denver has had a succession of "no name" players come through their system and make huge impacts on both sides of the ball. IMO, under Kubiak, performance will be a major factor in the starting line up as oppossed to "name recognition" and salary.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read