Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-07-2006   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Babin....Robair.... Williams......... Peek... OMG

watching Total Access....

They did a little thing about how Kubiak is still high on DD, one of the many reasons we passed on Reggie.

They also mentioned moving Mario Inside on PassingDowns, so Babin can rush the passer from the outside. I'm thinking Peek on the other side....

I know we've talked about this before......... and drooled at the possibilities.

but it's nice to hear......... on TV......... the NFL Network..
Old 06-07-2006   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

that is nice to hear, its good to see that the nfl network realizes the POTENTIAL of our Dline.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Can Williams be as effective on the inside? I've read a bit about the way they'll utilize him, but I can't remember ends like Bruce Smith or Reggie White (two players Mario is often compared to) playing inside.

I've always liked Babin, but I'm very curious to see how he does with the transition back to his natural position. Will he have the moves to get around NFL linemen to put pressure on the pocket? Watching him last year as an LB, he seemed to get stopped at the line quite a bit, IIRC.

And where's Anthony Weaver in that picture? I thought he was a good shot at starting?
Old 06-07-2006   #4
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Weaver is inside if im not mistaken (possible DE on running plays). I think Babin will have more sucess as a traditional DE, but Id rather keep Mario outside. Switching positions back and forth hinders development (see Thomas Davis) as well.
Old 06-07-2006   #5
Texans86
All Pro

I was watching a special on Reggie White recently and defenses hated him because he lined up everywhere on the line. Everytime the team lined up, they looked for him. I'm not sure if that means he could play DT, but thats what it sounded like to me.
Old 06-07-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Can Williams be as effective on the inside? I've read a bit about the way they'll utilize him, but I can't remember ends like Bruce Smith or Reggie White (two players Mario is often compared to) playing inside.

I've always liked Babin, but I'm very curious to see how he does with the transition back to his natural position. Will he have the moves to get around NFL linemen to put pressure on the pocket? Watching him last year as an LB, he seemed to get stopped at the line quite a bit, IIRC.

And where's Anthony Weaver in that picture? I thought he was a good shot at starting?
He only moves to the inside, on definite passing downs..... 3rd and 26. Other than that, Weaver will play mostly on the interior. I suppose......... Our D-Line is going to be something like the Cowboys last year. There wasn't really a starter position.... everybody pretty much played equal time. Just because someone played the first snap of the game, they were called the starter.

Last year, they were being shaped. This year, they'll be refined.... next year, they will be a force.
Old 06-07-2006   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, I see what you're saying. Knowing it's a definite pass play gives you the option to pin your ears back and put your fastest players up front.

The mention of Reggie White does ring a bell. I think I remember seeing something about his versatility come to think of it. And it makes sense, if a guy's got the skills to pull it off. It keeps the o-line on their heels and unbalanced, especially if a talent like White is doing it to them.
Old 06-07-2006   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeah, I see what you're saying. Knowing it's a definite pass play gives you the option to pin your ears back and put your fastest players up front.

The mention of Reggie White does ring a bell. I think I remember seeing something about his versatility come to think of it. And it makes sense, if a guy's got the skills to pull it off. It keeps the o-line on their heels and unbalanced, especially if a talent like White is doing it to them.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reggie White did play both DE and DT at times.
Old 06-07-2006   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 53673 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think on some 3rd and longs, we will be seeing what will essentially be 5 man lines. Something like a 3rd and 12 with Payne lined up on the nose, Weaver and Mario lined up on the outside shoulder of the guards, and Peek and Babin rushing the edges... various combinations like that are possible, I would think.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
I think on some 3rd and longs, we will be seeing what will essentially be 5 man lines. Something like a 3rd and 12 with Payne lined up on the nose, Weaver and Mario lined up on the outside shoulder of the guards, and Peek and Babin rushing the edges... various combinations like that are possible, I would think.
That would only leave 2-3 DB's in an obvious passing situation unless you drop all of the LB's into coverage. I am thinking we may see a 4-3/3-4 variation like NE uses. Maybe have Payne or Weaver at DT and Mario and Peek/Babin at the DE spots in passing situations.
Old 06-08-2006   #12
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Ouch, that sent shivers down my spine.
Old 06-08-2006   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan

Is that Munchack?

That photo is almost sad. Reggie is dead and the Oilers no longer exist.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Is that Munchack?
Is that a head slap?

Last edited by Runner; 06-08-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Is that a head slap?
That is a @#$%^ slap!
Old 06-08-2006   #16
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

Its Frank Wycheck.
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Is that a head slap?
Head slaps were perfectly legal in the old days, and the ones that popped you
with the open hand over the helmet ear-hole were the best kind. That could
knock you koo-koo for sure. I've often wondered how many guys got concussions as a reslut of being the object of that techique. The forearm shiver was legit, and it could also do some real damage.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
He only moves to the inside, on definite passing downs..... 3rd and 26. Other than that, Weaver will play mostly on the interior. I suppose......... Our D-Line is going to be something like the Cowboys last year. There wasn't really a starter position.... everybody pretty much played equal time. Just because someone played the first snap of the game, they were called the starter.

Last year, they were being shaped. This year, they'll be refined.... next year, they will be a force.
That juist doesn't quite work with me. I share your excitement at the prospect of our defense/pass-rush this year, but I don't know that I see moving Willliams inside (as he is still fast for DE, but more easily doubled inside) for purposes of putting Babin at DE, where he has to come off the line and shed an immediate block. Two years of watching Babin has shown me that he frankly doesn't do a good job shedding direct contact, is better when he can come on the blitz or off the far edge. I see us bringing Babin on the blitz, but I just don't know that I am convinced of his likely success at the DE spot. Athletically, he can make it happen, so I guess I am hoping that our new D and defensive coaching can teach him the necessary moves that he is lacking as of now.

Quote:
Agreed. I think that is called 4-3 over, or 4-3 under. But, I'm not sure. Whatever.
Old 06-08-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Head slaps were perfectly legal in the old days, and the ones that popped you
with the open hand over the helmet ear-hole were the best kind. That could
knock you koo-koo for sure. I've often wondered how many guys got concussions as a reslut of being the object of that techique. The forearm shiver was legit, and it could also do some real damage.
I know they were legal - and the helmets were pretty crappy too.
Old 06-08-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Reggie White did play both DE and DT at times.
That must have been more as an Eagle, because I don't remember ever seeing him playing inside in Green Bay. Of course, I didn't get to watch all the game, so what do I know.

You've got to be an awesome talent, tho', to pull it off. Hopefully Mario possesses those kind of skills, because he could be a defensive terror that enemy offenses have to gameplan around. That's never a bad thing for the hometown team.

I remember Deacon Jones talking about head slaps. He would even put lead bars in his casts back in the day, and use that thing as a weapon against offensive linemen's heads. He thinks he probably leads the league in giving concussions. Kinda' funny if you think about it. I have wonder how many dudes in their 60's are suffering the effects from those constant Deacon Jones love slaps. Dude was a monster in his day. I still wouldn't mess with him today!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read