Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 08-31-2004   #1
Panther5407
All Pro

Default Texas Colleges

Just wondering what type of college fans are on this board. So what Texas team do you root for and what is your favorite out of state team in college?

Mine are
Texas-Texas A&M University
Out of State-Florida State University
Old 08-31-2004   #2
gwallaia

Rep Power: 59793 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Texas - University of Houston
Out of State - ??? I guess I really don't care

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Texas- BAYLOR BEARS Sic Em Bears Yes I know we stink, but we've improved one game a year the past couple years. In 8 years we could be undefeated.

Out of State - No real preference. Just like to watch a good game.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #4
MikeMc
All Pro

In State: UH Coog fan

Out of State: UH when on the road!!

Only bandwagon fans have more than on "team"...I mean, if you have a favorite team (synonomous with one)....you only have one team....not three others that you like. Well, unless you like OU, Miami, LSU, USC or any other team in Nat'l contention..that way, when they go to the N-Champ, you can say how big a fan of them you are...then you just rotate teams annually depending on how well each is doing!

I Bleed Scarlet (UH Red)....now and forever!
Old 09-01-2004   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

in state i'm a texas tech die hard fan...give'em hell

out of state...if i was to pick just one school it would be alabama probably...florida state close 2nd
Old 09-01-2004   #6
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Freshman at Texas State (formerly Southwest Texas State) so even though we're division II and likely pretty bad I don't really have a choice. Other than that I'm a Longhorn fan. If I was choosing an out of state team, I usually go for UGA and Georgia Tech to do well.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #7
MikeMc
All Pro

You are actually D-I AA...not DII, so that might be the root of the problem.

BTW, what's the deal with all of the SWT students being UT fans? Why not be proud of your school's team? If you like UT so much, why don't you just go there?? And if you don't go there because you could not get in...then why would you give a rat's "butt" about them? Oh nevermind...it might be because the have gone 9-4 the last three years.
Old 09-01-2004   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

In state - Texas - I am an alumn.

Out of state - Arizona (parents went there) and Michigan (brother was a fan when I was a young lad).
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

In state- Hook em! I went there for some time.

Out of state-University of Kentucky. I graduated from there. They don't care much about football and eat, drink and sleep basketball.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #10
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I've only been up here since the 18th so I'm still learning things.

Of course I'm going to go for the team here over all others, what really happened is all through school everyone was sort of divided up between UT and A&M, and I went to the UT side for whatever reason and have stuck there ever since. In any case I don't think UT ever plays SWT so it shouldn't be much of an issue.

As for not being able to get into UT, probably not as I slacked off throughout HS and didn't apply anywhere except SWT.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #11
TexansCanes
All Pro

when is texas state moving up to d1, somone told me that they were trying to do that but had to do some stuff first like make their stadium bigger?

geaux tigers

as for texas schools i don't really like any of them
TexansCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #12
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther5407
Mine are
Texas-Texas A&M University
Out of State-Florida State University

my favorites: In state is the University of Texas and out of state is the University of Miami...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #13
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

In state: shamefully it's my alma mater SMU

Out of state: Georgia

For obvious reasons I root for Georgia.
Old 09-01-2004   #14
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey don't be ashamed of SMU Wags. It's a fine school.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #15
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 23391 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Prairie View A & M - 1st Love
University of Texas - Sports Fav in Texas
Michigan - Out of State (Close friend's Alma Mater)
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #16
MikeMc
All Pro

T-State must first get there avg crowds to be above max capacity (15K) in order to be considered for D-IA bump. They changed their unis and got away from the "directional" school name (South West Texas). Their Fieldhouse has gone through some vast changes (multi-million $ upgrades), so recruiting has been up, but the need attendence to increase as well to be considered for the jump. I think the D-Ia schools are tired of all the new entrants, something like 15 since 1999!

They have made some great advances towards the change. I hope they succeed...fiance'e is an alumnus and it would be great to have our two schools battle it out in the future....so I can rub it in her face...naturally! Baseball and basketball are the only "big-time" sports they compete in, but football....well there are just no substitutes!
Old 09-02-2004   #17
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc

BTW, what's the deal with all of the SWT students being UT fans? Why not be proud of your school's team? If you like UT so much, why don't you just go there?? And if you don't go there because you could not get in...then why would you give a rat's "butt" about them? Oh nevermind...it might be because the have gone 9-4 the last three years.
Does this mean if you went to a small university that you are not allowed to like a Division I team. I went to TLC (now TLU), when I was there they cut football, recently the brought it back, Div. III. But I root for Texas, I still support TLC, but its been a while since they been on TV (like NEVER). So I started watching UT years ago, and just started liking them (more than 3 years ago, about 20 years). That doesn't mean I'm not proud of my school, just don't always have the opportunity to see them.

PS I also like UH, love their coach and the style of ball they play; very exciting. But I guess I better stop since I didn't attend there.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #18
longhornjag
Rookie

In state- My school now and forever THE University of Texas
Out of state- Iowa (I have family from there), other than that I could really care less
longhornjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 211769 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I have one team that's "my team" and that's UH (of course, I'm a sucker for a team with the word "Houston" somewhere in the name) and another that was my dad's team. He was from Alabama and a big Crimson Tide fan.

I've got to disagree with you a little MikeMC on the "more than one team" thing. I believe you're right at heart of course but on a technicality I think it's possible to say "______ is my team, and I also "like" _______ and ________".

For me that would be "UH is my team, but I also like Alabama". Now if UH is playing Alabama there's no question that I want to see the Cougars win but when they're not on opposite sides I like to see Alabama on the winning end of their score.
Old 09-03-2004   #20
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc

Actually, it's been more like...

2001 - 11-2 (with a 52-26 win over UH)
2002 - 11-2 (with a 41-11 win over UH)
2003 - 10-3

But what happens when you go to several different schools? By the time I'm done with my degree, I could have 5 "favorite" schools. Should I pick one of them, be considered a bandwagon for that school and ignore the others?

I'll just stick with my childhood favorite instead...

In-state - University of Texas - I'm on my way out the door to head to Austin w/in the hour. Should be a good time. Any others going?

Out-of-state - Colorado State University - I had to live in Colorado for a year and it happen to be during CU's MNC run (during the infamous "5th down" season). Having to hear all the Buff's BS was not a pleasant experience. So rooting for CSU was my way of rooting against CU.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read