Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which WR would you have liked the best?
Eric Moulds 55 53.40%
David Givens 12 11.65%
Nate Burleson 5 4.85%
Javon Walker 20 19.42%
Terrell Owens 10 9.71%
Other 1 0.97%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who would you have prefered this offseason?

Since there's not too much actual football talk to discuss, I'll ask this question. Which WR would you rather have gotten this offseason?

We started out by trying to get David Givens, the guy Kubiak really wanted. He got #1 money at Tennessee, and we weren't willing to pay that much for a #2 WR. He was a good WR at New England, but not spectacular. Nonetheless, he is young and probably has not maxed out his potential.

Next there was Nate Burleson. All we got was a small note in the Chronicle that said Burleson was going to visit with the Texans. The one sentence in the Chronicle started a OMG! CAN IT BE TRUE?!!? thread. Of course, nothing came out of it. Coming off an injury, he still got a ridiculous amount of money with the Seahawks (I think).

Then there was Eric Moulds. It lasted about a week with the Texans and Bills working out a trade for a 5th round pick (I think). The Eagles were also apparently interested, but they may or may not have gotten very far in talks with Buffao. I don't know if the Moulds thread was the biggest in Texans message board history, but it had to be in the top 3.

For you dreamers, you can also choose Terell Owens, who the Texans probably never even thought about. Lots of talents. No maturity. Javon Walker was also mentioned on the boards, but there was no mention of him being a possibility by the Chronicle or any other news service.

If I had to choose, I still would have liked David Givens. He hasn't had the career that Moulds has, but Givens has room to grow. This will only be his 4th or 5th year and I think he and AJ would have been just as, or even better than Harrison and Reggie Wayne have been for the Colts. Although, if I see Eric Moulds, I'd tell him he was my first choice.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #2
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Eric Moulds is amazing but I'm with you, David Givens is a young up and coming WR who would have made a really nice tandem with AJ (not that Eric and AJ don't). Javon Walker and T.O. both have their attitude problems while Nate Burleson was unimpressive last year to say the least. I'm just extremely happy we got a real #2 WR to take the coverage off of AJ.
Old 06-06-2006   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

I voted Givens, with Moulds in 2nd, and Burleson in 3rd. I didnt even consider TO or Walker, both wouldnt complain about touches and couldnt handle the #2 role (mentally at least). Givens may not be the greatest WR, but his age and potential would've gone well with AJ. Mould's age is his only downfall, while Burleson fell apart without Moss. He might be able to do well with AJ, but he's only got 1 good season under his belt.
Old 06-06-2006   #4
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, Philadelphia was about as interested in Moulds as Washington was for Buchannon the year before.

Philly normally doesn't give up drafts picks on trades and Moulds was going to be get cut regardless.

I like Moulds, we overpaid a little but I am sure Kubiak will find the value somewhere to make it work or pay off.

Bottom line on the Moulds deal, we did Buffalo a favor and hopefully we can cash that in later down the line.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #5
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie Wayne.
Old 06-06-2006   #6
Texans>Colts
Veteran

who voted t.o?
Old 06-06-2006   #7
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted Givens initially. But...if given the choice between Givens and Moulds though, I think Moulds is a better fit for what the Texans need. He's a true #1 WR that brings a solid verteran influence to a young set of WRs. AJ will benefit from him more than Givens. Carr has never had someone that can get open like him either. I believe that Givens will disappear in Tennessee.

TO would never have come here so no reason to even consider him.
Old 06-06-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Exascor. Moulds' experience will pay dividends with our young receiver corp. Plus, I think he's heckuva' WR, and I think DC will now have more than one sure-handed guy to throw to.
Old 06-06-2006   #9
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
I voted Givens, with Moulds in 2nd, and Burleson in 3rd. I didnt even consider TO or Walker, both wouldnt complain about touches and couldnt handle the #2 role (mentally at least). Givens may not be the greatest WR, but his age and potential would've gone well with AJ. Mould's age is his only downfall, while Burleson fell apart without Moss. He might be able to do well with AJ, but he's only got 1 good season under his belt.
Amen.
Old 06-06-2006   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
I agree with Exascor. Moulds' experience will pay dividends with our young receiver corp. Plus, I think he's heckuva' WR, and I think DC will now have more than one sure-handed guy to throw to.
Put me on the agree list too.

Yeah, you want some youth on your team, but especially in retrospect, it was folly to build with a baby QB, baby line and baby wide receiver corps, no matter how talented any of the individual parts may have been or not.

Refs treat baby players like dirt (see Peek), and having experience on the team helps. Corey Bradford was our experienced wide receiver. Think about it.

Same works in the real world--no matter how good your boss is and no matter how many skills you have, you will do better if you have another good experienced employee who wants to be your mentor and shows you how things really work.
Old 06-06-2006   #11
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I had my choice............No contest Terrell Owens, nobody else can hang with that guy ON the field.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #12
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see what a lot of you guys are saying, but a few years from now we have no #2 WR. I guess Eric Moulds is good for now but a couple years down the road David Givens would have been more valuable for us. We can get another 5 years out of Givens at the least, when Moulds gets old in a couple years.
Old 06-06-2006   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
I see what a lot of you guys are saying, but a few years from now we have no #2 WR. I guess Eric Moulds is good for now but a couple years down the road David Givens would have been more valuable for us. We can get another 5 years out of Givens at the least, when Moulds gets old in a couple years.
Eventually AJ will be the experienced one and there will be some other guy we bring in.

It's hard to balance youth and experience. We've always had young young players and older players but few of the ones in the middle.

BTW, Moulds isn't totally ancient. He is 3 years younger than a productive Rod Smith. And appears to be in pretty ripped shape.

The fewest games in a season he has played since he was in the league is 13. He's had 7 years where he has played in 16 games.
Old 06-06-2006   #14
HOOK'EM
Veteran

.......the Moulds/AJ combo should be great!
HOOK'EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #15
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
If I had my choice............No contest Terrell Owens, nobody else can hang with that guy ON the field.
While I voted for Moulds for our team I still feel similarly about TO. On the field of play no one comes close. Its the other issues that lead to Moulds. Although, TO might be more responsible than some think. He hasn't been in the best of situations as of late and he's no dummy. I think Kubiak would have done wonders with TO. Kubiak is simply one of those kind of coaches. Kubiak knows where he stands and is not bothered by other EGO's.

Moulds is the best person for AJ and all the other receivers on this ball club. He may not be a TO, but he is awfully good. His desire to interact with the other receivers though is what makes him the best selection for the Texans.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #16
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

I'm glad we got Moulds over T.O, that's for sure. We don't need a cancer on our team. Who knows though, maybe he's finally happy?
Old 06-06-2006   #17
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans>Colts
who voted t.o?
I did. Granted, he has his spells....but when he plays teams win.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #18
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
I did. Granted, he has his spells....but when he plays teams win.
For the first year. Then everything falls apart.
Old 06-06-2006   #19
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

T.O so the texans could get more publicity! Im happy with moulds tho.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
While I voted for Moulds for our team I still feel similarly about TO. On the field of play no one comes close. Its the other issues that lead to Moulds. Although, TO might be more responsible than some think. He hasn't been in the best of situations as of late and he's no dummy. I think Kubiak would have done wonders with TO. Kubiak is simply one of those kind of coaches. Kubiak knows where he stands and is not bothered by other EGO's.

Moulds is the best person for AJ and all the other receivers on this ball club. He may not be a TO, but he is awfully good. His desire to interact with the other receivers though is what makes him the best selection for the Texans.

Dallas was one of the few situations that might work because of Parcells. And the Cowturds have enough stored good will to deal with more turds. IMO, a new head coach in a new city doesn't need the TO distraction, even if TO were a saint.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read