Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2006   #1
BamaTexan
Rookie

Default David Carr?

As one of the newest Texan fans, I bring a question to the board to get more knowledge of the current starting QB. What is his biggest weakness or area that needs the most improvement? Limited mobility or his arm strength, etc?

BT
BamaTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He has no physical weaknesses. What he lacks is instinct, feel for the game and ability to perform under pressure. There is nothing he can't do physically. This is a big year for him (my Mr Obvious statement).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTexan
As one of the newest Texan fans, I bring a question to the board to get more knowledge of the current starting QB. What is his biggest weakness or area that needs the most improvement? Limited mobility or his arm strength, etc?

BT
Oh dear god, you couldn't just look around for old threads and read them?, now all the Carr arguements will start up again, and we already have enough problems with a 1-man troll invasion on the forum. This could end us!

If you want some dirt on the Carr, goto the Texans website and click rosters then on David and any other players you would like to learn about, or as I suggested earlier go find previous threads about the subject, (The search option is pretty useful)
Old 06-06-2006   #4
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
He has no physical weaknesses. What he lacks is instinct, feel for the game and ability to perform under pressure. There is nothing he can't do physically. This is a big year for him (my Mr Obvious statement).

Vinny, totally agree with you.

But, do we need another thread on this?

It's getting old.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
But, do we need another thread on this?

It's getting old.
I hate to see these new threads pop up when you can get into any number of Carr-opinion threads if you just use the search function or just browse a bit...but I'm kind of numb to the whole thing sometimes during the off-season.

Old 06-06-2006   #6
BamaTexan
Rookie

Default Sorry...

Forget the post if this has been covered 1,000,000 times...
Old 06-06-2006   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
It's really not a huge deal...but when you start a thread that has been covered many times, the regulars have to re-state their opinion over and over and the newer people could really just find this opinion if you take some time to look around a bit. Just kind of a mb etiquette thing.

Sponsored links
Old 06-06-2006   #8
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
No biggie. Hope the stuff we gave you was of help, and you can do your own research and form an opinion of David and the other players.
Old 06-06-2006   #9
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry Bro, it looks like your new around here.

A lot of words, time, and effort has been posted about this topic. Frankly, I think both sides are tired of it.

Nothing personal to you though, welcome to the board and looking to see you around.
Old 06-06-2006   #10
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28100 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

BT

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=23620

Just go to this thread this is where you'll get most of the info
santo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #11
BamaTexan
Rookie

Default Thanks...

For the information and links. Sorry to bring Hoffa back to life.
Old 06-06-2006   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 293247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just curious, V, what you think of his delivery. He seems to have that 'side winder' thing going, which was something the coaches tried to change early in his career (with no success).

I've always read that a side delivery is tough in the NFL due to the massive size of linemen. Is this considered a 'physical weakness', or more of a mechanics issue?

Not trying to stir debate about Carr, but instead trying to offer real analysis of our starting QB. (hope people can do the same)
Old 06-06-2006   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx
Oh dear god
Took the words right out of my mouth.

But to show respect and a warm welcome I will share my opinion on Carr.

Strenghts: Big, strong, agile, accurate, can scramble and is a competitor, has tremendous charector to survive 18-46 in four years and getting sacked close to 200 times in the same span. Not to mention having Pendry, Palmer, and Capers as your coachs.

Weekness: Hits the panic button to quick (can't say I blame him), stares down his receiver, and the most annoying thing one human being can do with a football, run out of bounds with the football. Oh my God.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Just curious, V, what you think of his delivery. He seems to have that 'side winder' thing going, which was something the coaches tried to change early in his career (with no success).

I've always read that a side delivery is tough in the NFL due to the massive size of linemen. Is this considered a 'physical weakness', or more of a mechanics issue?

Not trying to stir debate about Carr, but instead trying to offer real analysis of our starting QB. (hope people can do the same)
I don't have any issues with his delivery, except that it's probably tough to have touch on a ball when thrown like this. I find it easier to put air under a ball when I come over the top and tougher to do when I start to angle down to side arm. QB's throw in 'lanes' most of the time and really don't pass over the top of guys too much, so I don't think its too big a deal.

Old 06-06-2006   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't have any issues with his delivery, except that it's probably tough to have touch on a ball when thrown like this. I find it easier to put air under a ball when I come over the top and tougher to do when I start to angle down to side arm. QB's throw in 'lanes' most of the time and really don't pass over the top of guys too much, so I don't think its too big a deal.
He hasn't completely demonstrated to us that he "can play" but I feel like if he can do that and does it throwing sidearm then fine by me. I'd rather have a guy who's a player with less than flawless mechanics than a guy who throws textbook but can't win games. That's what 2006 is to me when it comes to watching David Carr. I want to see growth and I want to see (towards the second half of the season) this franchise QB that we've all seen little glimpses of come to the surface.

If the man can start winning games there won't be much talk about his throwing motion IMO. I hope it turns out that way.
Old 06-06-2006   #16
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel

The side arm delivery isn't an issue if you are 6'-5", a native of Houston, Texas, and carried your team to the college national championship.
Old 06-06-2006   #17
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
The side arm delivery isn't an issue if you are 6'-5", a native of Houston, Texas, and carried your team to the college national championship.
Old 06-06-2006   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I know sometimes I add another thread if I have one specific question that I need answered quickly. Sometimes I do it out of courtesy for someone who started a thread and to keep my semi off topic question out of that thread.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #19
Texans>Colts
Veteran

He needs to learn how to get away from defenders, until we get a good o-line
Old 06-06-2006   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans>Colts
He needs to learn how to get away from defenders, until we get a good o-line
You don't think we've upgraded this off season ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read