Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-05-2006   #1
Sportsfan
All Pro

Default New Offensive system vs. Carr's offense @ Fresno St

So whats the difference in these 2 systems?(besides the obvious- college v. pro)
And how will Carr's skills translate into this new system?

From what i remember, in college Carr was a great drop-back passer but with this new system in place, there isn't a lot of 'dropping back- read the D then pass'. I could be wrong though. I played football in HS but i'm not super knowledgeable w/the technical side of the NFL as some of you.
So i'm just curious how Carr will have to adjust on a technical level into this new system.

Discuss....
Sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan
So whats the difference in these 2 systems?(besides the obvious- college v. pro)

From what i remember, in college Carr was a great drop-back passer but with this new system in place, there isn't a lot of 'dropping back- read the D then pass'. I could be wrong though. I played football in HS but i'm not super knowledgeable w/the technical side of the NFL as some of you.
So i'm just curious how Carr will have to adjust on a technical level into this new system.

Discuss....
Carr Played in an open offense. It was similar to a zone read, but not quite. Denver runs more of a zone read running game with a lot of short to intermediate passing routes, especially to the TE and FB/RB.
Old 06-05-2006   #3
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Carr Played in an open offense. It was similar to a zone read, but not quite. Denver runs more of a zone read running game with a lot of short to intermediate passing routes, especially to the TE and FB/RB.
This is what intrigues me, because we have 3 big WR's. Are they going to use them like TE's? Why pick up what we did if you are not going to use them? I keep saying that Kubiak has his own ideas and don't be surprised if he surprises you with what he does. He has been quoted as saying you have to adapt to your players strengths. I think its going to be a very interesting year.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
This is what intrigues me, because we have 3 big WR's. Are they going to use them like TE's? Why pick up what we did if you are not going to use them? I keep saying that Kubiak has his own ideas and don't be surprised if he surprises you with what he does. He has been quoted as saying you have to adapt to your players strengths. I think its going to be a very interesting year.
TE's have accounted for 22% of the Broncos receptions over each of the last two years. The WR's will get plenty of balls their way.
Old 06-05-2006   #5
fastpitchwoof
Rookie

Quote:

I agree. The Denver offense was not the same with Elway as it was with Greisie (heck I don't know how to spell it) and Plummer. It changed to adapt to the QB. Now the running game basically stayed the same and they picked up backs to fit that system.

As for the recievers, when McCafrey (spelling again) and Smith were together they looked a lot like Johnson and Moulds as far as size goes with Moulds being more athletic. I am going to give Kubiak a chance to form his own offense and see where it goes. Who knows, In a few years we could be talking about the Gulf Coast Offense as opposed to the West Coast Offense.

Old 06-05-2006   #6
AUSTexan
Rookie

Quote:

Well... I'll be interested to see how this matches us up against Indy's DB's, since they're tiny, assuming that we have time to throw the ball this year. I don't remember where I read it, but I recently read an article on Indy that talked about that being one of their -few- possible weaknesses...
AUSTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitchwoof
Who knows, In a few years we could be talking about the Gulf Coast Offense as opposed to the West Coast Offense.

Oh I like that!!!! I really really like that!!!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2006   #8
SESupergenius

Carr will be going up against a 4-3 Cover2 a lot in practice, something we were horrible at in gaining any success against. I don't know how many teams we will face this season against a 4-3 cover 2, but we certainly should be better prepared.
Old 06-05-2006   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well if the short stuff is what it gives him. He has proven to be able to make those throws, it's just that now it will be a TE instead of DD.

I remembered a play that I saw while watching the AFC championship game that I liked. It was a play action to the right and Plummer rolls back to the left and finds a TE that didn't go with the flow of the offensive line at the LOS. He hits the TE and the TE basically makes 8 yards on that one play.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I don't know how many teams we will face this season against a 4-3 cover 2, but we certainly should be better prepared.
While many teams deploy the cover 2 at times, the only team I see on the schedule that could be described as a cover 2 defense is Indianapolis. On the other hand, the Texans play 6 games against teams that use the 3-4 or the 3-4 hybrid defense. Figures.
Old 06-05-2006   #11
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I've heard of the "Gulf Coast Offense" before but what exactly is it?

Last edited by CoastalTexan; 06-05-2006 at 06:01 PM.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #12
Texans86
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan
I've heard of the "Gulf Coast Offense" before but what exacly is it?
Currently, take a step and get sacked.
Old 06-05-2006   #13
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans86
Currently, take a step and get sacked.
Also, focus in on only one reciever.
Old 06-05-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitchwoof
we could be talking about the Gulf Coast Offense
I belive you have just coined a phrase. Congrats.
Old 06-05-2006   #15
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Alot of teams are going to larger linemen. Suprisingly, larger linemen are better for traditional pass blocking, while smaller, quicker linemen are better for run blocking.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #16
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Another vote for the GCO!!! - Nice phrase - I think it will stick if we do well enough and start competing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon

Well it is kind of hard to see more than one receiver when your lying on your backside...

I still wonder about this at times as I saw David in games make his reads, but time and again always have to go to the dump off man because everyone was covered up or the play was moving the wrong way. I also recall a quote from a recent article saying DC was having to make more reads than just about any other QB in the NFL. hmmm
Old 06-05-2006   #17
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
That's all you can do when you only have one receiver.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006   #18
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan

Discuss....
There is the Broncos Offense that Elway ran and then the one Jake Plummer ran, that was more scrambling, Carr CAN run, he had a line in college so he did not have to.

Watch old games of Elway when Shanahan was there that is the kind of Offense that they will impliment. If I am Kubiak I am HAPPY I have a Strong Arm QB that can scramble and does not make bad choices with the football.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006   #19
marroncito
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
I remembered a play that I saw while watching the AFC championship game that I liked. It was a play action to the right and Plummer rolls back to the left and finds a TE that didn't go with the flow of the offensive line at the LOS. He hits the TE and the TE basically makes 8 yards on that one play.
Atlanta runs this play all the time with Vick. It's a kind of QB Waggle. It's slightly dangerous if the backside DE stays home rather than chase the play because they usually read the QBs naked rollout and chase him down.
marroncito is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read